Community
Wiki Posts
Search

power supply ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Also what makes these Distibution boxes so nice is if you have a big ol' power supply (the budget thing again) (i had one also guys) you can put the PS under your pit table and just run the wire up and have just the BOX on your table.....works wonders for saving space (which seems to always be a premium at most tracks).
Stephen <><
Old 01-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
I used 14 gauge except for the LED which had there own little 21gauge wire already attached between the switch and the bananna plugs I used 16gauge as 14 was too big to attach and besides the stuff I attach to the switched plugs is just fans or discharger coolers. The other three plugs I use for my chargers the GM Commander & the APS 3 in 1 Dyno-Charge (which by the way is so nice for only $150.00 @ speedtech).
Hope all this helps,
Stephen <><
thanks do you think it would be smart to put a fuse box in also?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hebiki - you need a flatscreen and some chrome wheels on that thing, it's not quite bling'd out! hehe Really though, I might have to make one of my own now.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by WVRACER
thanks do you think it would be smart to put a fuse box in also?
I wouldn't bother unless you plan on runnig so much as to require it, but I guess it couldn't hurt. I have a 20amp PS and even with both chargers running and every cooling fan at the track I don;t pull 20 amps so I don;t see the need for fuses, although I did have a problem with my old 10amp one when trying to use my indy dyno....which is for sale by the way....APS 3 in 1 Dyno charge does that for me now....
hoep that helps,
Stephen <><
Old 01-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Forgot to completely answer your other question. I used strianded wire, same stuff as ESC or Battery wire. I had some extra stuff laying around so I used it because unless you want the inside to look as pretty as the outside (which I didn't see the need) use what you got. 12V isn;t that great of a current, although it depends on what the draw is. That is why I used 14 Gauge as it can handle 20amps but it you want to used bigger go ahead. I haven't had a problem with mine yet.
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><
Old 01-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

thanks again i am going to give it a try

Rob
Old 01-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

remember be careful while drilling the project box it is quite brittle. If you have a drill press it would be wise to use it....
Lay everything out before you drill.
Use a marker to get all the marks made first as to keep everythign strait....the one you saw was my second attempt.
once you have it all laid out take your time...it will look great the marker comes off with a little sanding plus it looks different than all the rest. If yo rush it will look like my first....HOME Made..once I get my Team Decals I will dress mine up to look its very best..
You want it to look nice other wise you might as well just buy one from MuchMore cause it cost like $35.00 shipped anyway.
I just liek the challange.
Stephen <><
Old 01-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default fun project

honestly guys i just wanted a plain jane one with regular connectors. but the guy at radio shack showed me the speaker terminal and it really took a lot of work out of the project.

stephen mentioned the drilling. i botched a project box from radio shack so i just went for almost prebuilt one. the gold terminals are overkill, but thats all they had.

again, you can just purchase the Much more racing one, or if you're up for a challenge make one like mine or like stephen's.

btw mr. shookie.... i opted for that 8 terminal plate because its all solderless. (same with the banana plugs) if i want longer wires... i just unscrew, and replace the wire. there are more photos on the TAOB site..and i have a photo of the solderless banana plug.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Tech Lord

Originally posted by John Fontaine
Chris - that's nice! I wouldn't mind switching over to banana plugs from aligator clips if I had a box like that! Hehe, new project for the cold winter here in PA.
thanks.

i was really tired of all aligator clamps on my PS. it looked messy. a couple of my teammates had what stephen made. i just took it a step further with the extra bling.

oh yah.. part II of the this power station project is to PAINT it "tamiya blue"

Old 01-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
remember be careful while drilling the project box it is quite brittle. If you have a drill press it would be wise to use it....
Lay everything out before you drill.
Use a marker to get all the marks made first as to keep everythign strait....the one you saw was my second attempt.
once you have it all laid out take your time...it will look great the marker comes off with a little sanding plus it looks different than all the rest. If yo rush it will look like my first....HOME Made..once I get my Team Decals I will dress mine up to look its very best..
You want it to look nice other wise you might as well just buy one from MuchMore cause it cost like $35.00 shipped anyway.
I just liek the challange.
Stephen <><
i want to build it makes me think i am getting one over on the MAN LOL
if its not to much trouble could you please take a pic of the inside so i can see how its wired. if its to much i understand

thanks
Old 01-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Tech Lord

not sure if you were asking me. but here's a pic of how mine is wired. since they're screw type terminals.. just slide the wire in, and screw it down til its tight. no soldering needed.

edit: forgot to mention.. radio shack has GOLD PLATED banana plugs too.. but i think thats a little overboard.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Hebiki
not sure if you were asking me. but here's a pic of how mine is wired. since they're screw type terminals.. just slide the wire in, and screw it down til its tight. no soldering needed.
edit: forgot to mention.. radio shack has GOLD PLATED banana plugs too.. but i think thats a little overboard.

thanks i was asking stephen because i like the ones that can turn off with the switch.

i did check yours out on the site and it is very nice i just want the power off version because i run a 45 amp dyno also

thanks

Rob
Old 01-29-2005, 06:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

After reading this yesterday, i decided i had to have one(my power supply is huge, and gets in the way alot).

So after work i took a trip to radio shack, got a project box, and all the bananna plugs they had, that were they same anyways. they only had 4 female plugs and 4 male plugs, i was unsatisfied. so i baught the goods, and went to home depot to see what they had to offer, i found the speaker terminal things, 7 bucks for 2. found the box, like 4 bucks but it only had a place for 3 sets of terminals. once again, unsatisfied.

so i built what i could with the parts they had a radio shack, turned out pretty nice looks something like mr shookies only my terminals are much taller, and ive only got 4 sets and no fancy led's
Old 01-29-2005, 06:54 AM

whats a power supply for? hehe (newbie question) i just use a regular charger that plugs into a outlet...
Old 01-29-2005, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

it converts 120 to 12 volts some chargers only run off of 12 volt and thay come in different amps 20, 30 45 ect ect.

you will need one when you get into higher end chargers

Rob