Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
What top deck do recommend be used for med traction outdoor asphalt track racing that will give more traction than the stock top deck? Is the '08 top deck a better option than the stock or will the stiff top deck(non-carpet) work better?
I've always liked the stiff top deck. The car just feels more consistent with it. I think it actually flexes about the same but it holds a tweak better IMO.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

For me the '08 top deck will always be better, but maybe it's something that not everyone will like. I am much happier with the car when it doesn't have the l/r bulkheads "tied" together by the top deck. With the 08 it allows a little more movement.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MattW
With the 08 it allows a little more movement.
It holds to much, it let the car get tweak very easy.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MattW
For me the '08 top deck will always be better, but maybe it's something that not everyone will like. I am much happier with the car when it doesn't have the l/r bulkheads "tied" together by the top deck. With the 08 it allows a little more movement.
Matt.....have you guys played with using tie rods instead of a the top deck? Like using 2 tie-rods one for the left side bulk heads and one for the right side bulk heads? This worked fairly well on the AxisII and a buddy and I were looking at the car this weekend and had the idea to try that out. I just have to locate the tie-rods and then I would like to try it out....but if you have tried it out have you noticed anything?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Matt.....have you guys played with using tie rods instead of a the top deck? Like using 2 tie-rods one for the left side bulk heads and one for the right side bulk heads? This worked fairly well on the AxisII and a buddy and I were looking at the car this weekend and had the idea to try that out. I just have to locate the tie-rods and then I would like to try it out....but if you have tried it out have you noticed anything?

Would that not have a simlar effect to the flexi top deck, i.e. two pieces, one for each side?

Skiddins
Old 02-20-2008, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

do you guys always apply some green slime to O rings when building new shocks or some shock oil can cure them instead?
also very few setups has lower shock towers on them does that means kit towers works better than lower towers?
Old 02-20-2008, 06:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Most people are using the low towers on carpet.

I tried them on asphalt and I just didn't like the way the car "rolled" into the corners. Actually the car didn't roll at all and I felt like I lost steering and my rear end felt like it kept wanting to come around.

Originally Posted by yokemad
do you guys always apply some green slime to O rings when building new shocks or some shock oil can cure them instead?
also very few setups has lower shock towers on them does that means kit towers works better than lower towers?
Old 02-20-2008, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I havent tried the low towers for rubber carpet, but I do like the 2.5 chassis. It makes the car much more consistant on high-bite tracks.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

Default 13.5???

Hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone has done some testing with the speed passion 13.5 against any of the other 13.5's. I haven't found anything that runs better than the Novak and really want to know if anyone else has found the same thing true. Opinions of the best 13.5????
Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teammidget lilB
Some of the different bodies I tried was the East Coast Mazda, East Coast IS 250, East Coast Euro R, and a Protoform Mazda 6.

Hollywood
chicky's gonna be upset to hear of this.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teammidget lilB
I ran this weekend at MDI where the state race is this coming weekend. I tested a few things like stiffer chassis and some different bodies. I ran the 2.5mm chassis and really liked it because when I made an adjustment to my car it made a big difference and I feel it made the car more consistant. Some of the different bodies I tried was the East Coast Mazda, East Coast IS 250, East Coast Euro R, and a Protoform Mazda 6. After testing all day I find out that I like the IS 250 because it has a lot of steering and pretty twitchy. The Euro R would probly be a good body for a big track it seems a little lazy. The East Coast Mazda is really good when all the steering from the IS 250 isn't needed. When I showed up to the track my car was pushy on exit but I raised my front diff to the high position and put the IS 250 on it and my car was DIALED!!!

Hollywood
Hi Brian...

I did notice that your first run the car was slower, probably due to the pushing you mentioned. But by the 3rd pack the car was really up to speed. It had nice steering and looked as smooth as my Type R

I might run mod class, so for this I'll have to whip out my Mi3 which can handle mod duties much better...the Type R diff outdrives/cups will probably melt after a couple runs.

I havent run my Mi3 for like 4 months now....it feels weird to me after driving Type Rs for a few months, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in no time...one thing I do remember from it is that its super stable and smooth, and has really good acceleration....only pblm for me was trying to get it to be reactive...Cyclone reactive/twitchy.

Using PW MDI 2007 set up as a base, and considering Adrians once-in-a-life-time lucky set up he posted a page back, I gotta say there's been some changes for the MI3...

2.5mm chassis, EU08 top deck, and holy crap: parts costs have gone up big time! I was going to make an order from ShUSA and front wishbones are like $14(previously like $12), the track rod set is like $20(previously like$11), top decks are $24...

it must be the economy and the fact that the US dollar is like $1 for 1.70 british pounds---this hurts...luckily I have some spares still so I'll pass on orders untill I find lower prices or get extra cash.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bertetto
Hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone has done some testing with the speed passion 13.5 against any of the other 13.5's. I haven't found anything that runs better than the Novak and really want to know if anyone else has found the same thing true. Opinions of the best 13.5????
The SpeedPassion 13.5 is a bit better than the Novak
Old 02-20-2008, 07:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I have my SP13.5 geared 8 teeth lower than I ran my Novak, I'm cooler and faster with it everytime I run it.

Originally Posted by Bertetto
Old 02-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Would that not have a simlar effect to the flexi top deck, i.e. two pieces, one for each side?

Skiddins
Yeah but the tie-rod and ball cup setup wont hold any tweak like screws and a plate would. Also they might would allow for more movement. I dont know it might be something to try when the traction is low. If I can get everything I will try it out this weekend maybe and see what it does.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by abailey21
I have my SP13.5 geared 8 teeth lower than I ran my Novak, I'm cooler and faster with it everytime I run it.

I ran mine at the same gearing I did with my Novak and it was faster and 140deg after 5 minutes same as my Novak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.