Wiki Posts
Search

Castle XLX vs. XL2

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by brushless55
yeah this sucks man..
but even if we change the programing around, it sounds like the newer version still does not allow our motors to run full tilt ?
Nope. Nothing we do in the Castlelink will restore the power, unfortunately. Thanks Castle!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dr_T
Last week a Castle Link update was released, with "Added initial production firmware for the Mamba XL X": http://www.castlecreations.com/downl...stle_link.html. However, it seems there isn't any change in the firmware, as it is still v1.72 released 11/10/2015, see below... so not sure why that was listed in the Link update.

After updating the Link software to v3.63.00, I ran my XLX ESC a bit in a 10 kg 4WD Maverick Vader buggy, geared for 63 mph on-road on 2x5Ah 6s 65C Turnigy Graphenes with a 1195 kv TP Power TP5670 6-pole motor. Test-drive ended early because of motor issue, so I don't have a whole lot of input yet.

Torque control and punch control were disabled, start power set to low and Current limiting set to insensitive (220A). It did reach a little over 200A draw, but somehow it feels as if the power kicks in a bit delayed, like turbo lag. Best graph of throttle response I got is shown below, but I was modulating throttle too much to draw any conclusions on this I think.

Will change gearing now for 66 mph off-road on stock tires, 8S and with an 1165 kv Leopard 5698, while the TP's shaft is curing. Should be nice weather coming days, so might be able to run it before the weekend.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Thanks for sharing the info and testing. Looking forward to more tests.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tc4basher
Nope. Nothing we do in the Castlelink will restore the power, unfortunately. Thanks Castle!
It seems to me that the biggest change between the two is the current limiting, as I stated before I'll try the XLX again with the limiting disabled to see if it makes a difference but if anybody can confirm already trying this it'll save me the hassle of swapping controllers
Old 05-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

They simply need to find better hardware probably better heat handling HV Mosfets and charge more dollars for it. Then all of we will pay for that.

-There is other brand's of ESC for car's with enough peak maps, that can go 12 and 16s and even 24s... so it CAN BE DONE. (big sizes for 1/5 rc's only!!)

I do not know much about fisic's on eletric things but seens we need Graphene FETS instead of the material CPU are made...Silicon. It's coming soon... adverstised propaganda speaks of capable stabable 5000ghz CPU's... and that seens voodoo, but today's we can get only 4ghz of a CPU. It could take some years...but lipos are already here...at least the name...and they rock, like and even further then a normal high end pack for oldschool technology lipos. I know obvious that Castle won't make Grapehen out of the blue, they are a company that just grabs what's on the market and make ESC's with a bunch of semiconductors worlwide avaiable. The semicondutor company's like Samsung/Toshiba/Philips/Panasonic could grab the Graphene tech and then for anything we will have what we like!!

For Castle.....THE Mamba Max PRO is never ever posted any info on their amp ratings... what are they hidding? That's a 60Amp esc, allright tell the world. Not on manuals, not on website....come on..on Internet times there is no need to not speak and hide. Everything is discovered and dismantled and showed. Honor your trousers and do the right thing

And now these X's half cuted....simply find a better hardware and charge for it.

Or simply build/manufacter more XL2 and give no warranty cause it's a RED item. AH, and make then smaller by the way!
Old 05-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc4basher
uh that's a bugger
Old 05-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Tech Addict

Just did another quick run with the LBP5898-1100kv (1165kv measured), geared for 80 kph on 6S, off-road. Current limit at 220A, 2x5Ah 65C Turnigy Graphenes. Got some longer WOT bursts and performance actually didn't feel bad at all. The "turbo-lag" feeling I had earlier with the on-road testing wasn't noticeable anymore. Highest recorded peak was 237A. Controller temp and ripple were nice and low.

I need one more Turnigy HD 4Ah 8S pack to be able to test 8S, but that's in the mail ; 8S brings this gearing to 106 kph no-load. And if temps stay good, I might increase the Current limit a bit. I know speed-wise this is obviously not in the same league as the hardcore speed-runners like Phill and others around here, but if I can get ~220A peaks running at ~30V (6600W=8.85HP), with a controller that stays nice and cool, I think that's not such bad performance after all.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

Just did another quick run with the LBP5898-1100kv (1165kv measured), geared for 80 kph on 6S, off-road. Current limit at 220A, 2x5Ah 65C Turnigy Graphenes. Got some longer WOT bursts and performance actually didn't feel bad at all. The "turbo-lag" feeling I had earlier with the on-road testing wasn't noticeable anymore. Highest recorded peak was 237A. Controller temp and ripple were nice and low.

I need one more Turnigy HD 4Ah 8S pack to be able to test 8S, but that's in the mail ; 8S brings this gearing to 106 kph no-load. And if temps stay good, I might increase the Current limit a bit. I know speed-wise this is obviously not in the same league as the hardcore speed-runners like Phill and others around here, but if I can get ~220A peaks running at ~30V (6600W=8.85HP), with a controller that stays nice and cool, I think that's not such bad performance after all.

Glad you are getting some decent action with it. The XLX is definetly a nice bulletproof esc or casual offroad bashing.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:38 AM
Tech Elite

I actually really think i like the aceleration cutted using HV packs beyond 6s.

It will make any heavy power RC car more controlable, which we need cause we are nuts, but the castration on top speed i don't like.

That aceleration curve being castrated mimics a combustion engine clutch feel, which actually we can drive it without spining like mad.... but the lack of TOP speed fears me.

Either way, i do not own any "x", yet! :P

For me that aceleration i think it actualy could be right for High Voltages (or at least could be a little more tweaked) but the TOP SPEED could be unleashed 2 seconds after full throotle.

Honestly i don't like the 0%-100% feel of aceleration we can get out of those heavy powered rigs. I like smooth aceleration till the top and only on the top having something extra wild Screaming like no tomorow! :P

1/10 systems with "Turbo" feel will understand me!

But that's me!
Old 05-04-2016, 05:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by targetingxmod
I actually really think i like the aceleration cutted using HV packs beyond 6s.

It will make any heavy power RC car more controlable, which we need cause we are nuts, but the castration on top speed i don't like.

That aceleration curve being castrated mimics a combustion engine clutch feel, which actually we can drive it without spining like mad.... but the lack of TOP speed fears me.

Either way, i do not own any "x", yet! :P

For me that aceleration i think it actualy could be right for High Voltages (or at least could be a little more tweaked) but the TOP SPEED could be unleashed 2 seconds after full throotle.

Honestly i don't like the 0%-100% feel of aceleration we can get out of those heavy powered rigs. I like smooth aceleration till the top and only on the top having something extra wild Screaming like no tomorow! :P

1/10 systems with "Turbo" feel will understand me!

But that's me!
You can adjust the "acceleration" by increasing the punch control and or torque control with the XL2
Old 05-04-2016, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

How long were you able to run the car with those settings?
Old 05-04-2016, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MallenP30
You can adjust the "acceleration" by increasing the punch control and or torque control with the XL2
I know all that (aceleration curves & punch control)...we are all ahead of that gizmos.

The desactivated "torque limit" before KV test is what makes then more controlled on the wild but removes top speed as aceleration. No good. It could be more smooth on aceleration but leave the top end speed alone, but no. It still cuts.

I do not have any of the "x's" but that reduced aceleration i like (which is still dam fast). What i don't like is the power cut on top end speed...

For drag fans...i know they like aceleration, but stability where? :P

We just can't have it all... well maybe we will! Someday!
Old 05-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
How long were you able to run the car with those settings?
The first plot was all the driving I did, so it was just a very short run, resting Voltage on batteries was around 3.9V/cell when I got home. From the log, the ESC temp seems pretty stable towards the ends of the driving parts, so looks good to me. Without regearing, 8S will be a bit more demanding though and should see big increase in Current demand, so good for testing how the Current limiter works, and if that Leopard can keep its head cool .
Old 05-04-2016, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

yes exactly and also throttle control...
I need an 8s esc that delivers full power when I need it like so many of us here...
not a detuned esc that is basically crap for my needs in the FE boating world
Old 05-05-2016, 05:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

So what is the issue with MGM controllers again? Besides being expensive as hell? I've been looking at one that's 8S capable, 250A continuous 300A max for 5 sec for right at $300, it's also nearly half the size of the XL2, it has everything the XL2 has, just wondering if price is the only issue? Another thing is castle doesn't even give the AMP rating for the XL2 or XLX
Old 05-05-2016, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

So what is the issue with MGM controllers again? Besides being expensive as hell? I've been looking at one that's 8S capable, 250A continuous 300A max for 5 sec for right at $300, it's also nearly half the size of the XL2, it has everything the XL2 has, just wondering if price is the only issue? Another thing is castle doesn't even give the AMP rating for the XL2 or XLX
MGMs supposedly have fail safes as well. The amp rating for XL2 is 150a and XLX is 160a.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.