New to R/C

Old 05-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New to R/C

Im kinda new to r/c and currently have a nitro on-road car. I'm sort of debating switching to electric and am wondering what it means when it says this motor is 17 turns while another one might be 10? I just want to race something.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The lower number of turns, the more powerful the motor. Lower turns are faster, draw more amps, and reduce run time. You will need to match what level of motor you run with an appropriate speed controller (one that can at least handle the power you are going to run). If you are going to RACE... then dont just buy... first figure out what class you want to race in, as each class can have a limit on what motor you can run. You will want to buy the motor that fits into the class you want to race.

For example, stock class usually races 17.5 turn. Superstock usually run 13.5, and mod classes are unlimited (run as much motor as you can handle).
Old 05-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Your best bet is to find the local track you will be racing at and go on a race day and speak to the other drivers.

Find out what classes they run and what cars.

You'll find that most drivers will be really helpfull.

I don't know how to locate a track in the US, we have a list for the UK.

Skiddins
Old 05-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks guys, also what is the more competitive class? 1/10 or 1/12?
Old 05-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by raideN
thanks guys, also what is the more competitive class? 1/10 or 1/12?
Both classes are very competitive. Turnout and competition level depends on the track(s) in your area.

At the recent ROAR Carpet Nats (hosted by the Gate crew in Strongsville, OH), there were more 1/12 scale entries than TC. The same was true at the Indoor Champs. There are many more setup options for a touring car, but getting a 1/12 scale to handle the best that it is capable of can be just as tricky. 1/12 scale cars are a lot cheaper, and the races are 8 minutes vs 6 minutes in TC. If you are just starting out racing, I highly suggest starting out in stock class (17.5 brushless). The stock motors of today are as fast as modified motors were not too long ago. I've seen too many people start out in a faster class, crash a lot, break parts, get frustrated, and quit.

Racing foam tires on carpet makes everything happen faster, since the cars have so much traction. This is a lot different than running in a parking lot. A few of the less experienced drivers actually turned down the throttle end point to 50% until they could drive clean laps (not hitting anything), then gradually turned it up as they drove better.

Several of the tracks in Ohio are blessed with having some of the top carpet pilots in the country as regulars. Plus, the vast majority are more than willing to help a rookie out. Just ask...