Like Tree521Likes

TLR 8ightX

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-15-2019, 09:43 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 8ightX
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 1/8 IC Fan
TLR Eight X

Print Wikipost

Old 06-27-2019, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
The run them too and they are pretty darn goo IMO. Right now I back to the 5 hole pistons.
installed I’ve got the 5 holes on Bypass1, AE 40wt front, AE 37.5 rear, stock springs. Bought some Mugen Springs, but I want to back to back them at the track so I haven’t installed them yet. I’ll post up how it works for me when I get out there.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

Hh

Last edited by jmoneym; 07-06-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dickie doyle

installed I’ve got the 5 holes on Bypass1, AE 40wt front, AE 37.5 rear, stock springs. Bought some Mugen Springs, but I want to back to back them at the track so I haven’t installed them yet. I’ll post up how it works for me when I get out there.
couple questions. I’m about to order the Bypass1’s. What type of track are you running on with a shock set up like that? Hard pack, groove, bumpy, low traction, big jumps, right, technical, etc? I’m looking for a good base set up for my local track with the Bypass’s, but my track is rough, low-mid traction, small jumps, tight corners. Currently running stock everything in my X, Losi oil 37.5 front, and 35 rear. So changing to Bypass, I didn’t want it to throw everything off wack making that change. And why is it so many people run AE oil in their Losi’s, what’s the benefit? Same with Mugen springs?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlrsd

couple questions. I’m about to order the Bypass1’s. What type of track are you running on with a shock set up like that? Hard pack, groove, bumpy, low traction, big jumps, right, technical, etc? I’m looking for a good base set up for my local track with the Bypass’s, but my track is rough, low-mid traction, small jumps, tight corners. Currently running stock everything in my X, Losi oil 37.5 front, and 35 rear. So changing to Bypass, I didn’t want it to throw everything off wack making that change. And why is it so many people run AE oil in their Losi’s, what’s the benefit? Same with Mugen springs?
I run AE oil only because my LHS carries the full spectrum of weights. I stick with it because I have a ton of it and think that if I go up a 2.5wt it will really be 2.5wt.

My local track rack is very different on practice day than how it is on race day, so setup is tough. My recommendation would be to change one thing at a time, then adjust around that.... install the bypass1 clear front and blue rear, and everything else exactly the same as you had it, see how it drives for a few tanks. Then change something easy, that doesn’t take much time, like springs OR shock position, to suit what the car is doing, try that for a few tanks. I am not super fast, so I try to tune my cars as predictable and easy to drive as possible.... when I try pro’s setup sheets, they tend to be too twitchy for me, so coming up with my own setups work better for me. I’ve, in the past, made a bunch of changes like diff oil, shock package and tires at the same time while at home, but then I have no idea what worked and what didn’t once I get on the track. It totally sucks if you don’t have much time to test at the track, but that’s the game we’re all playing I guess.

Last edited by dickie doyle; 07-07-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dickie doyle

I run AE oil only because my LHS carries the full spectrum of weights. I stick with it because I have a ton of it and think that if I go up a 2.5wt it will really be 2.5wt.

My local track rack is very different on race day than how it is on race day, so setup is tough. My recommendation would be to change one thing at a time, then adjust around that.... install the bypass1 clear front and blue rear, and everything else exactly the same as you had it, see how it drives for a few tanks. Then change something easy, that doesn’t take much time, like springs OR shock position, to suit what the car is doing, try that for a few tanks. I am not super fast, so I try to tune my cars as predictable and easy to drive as possible.... when I try pro’s setup sheets, they tend to be too twitchy for me, so coming up with my own setups work better for me. I’ve, in the past, made a bunch of changes like diff oil, shock package and tires at the same time while at home, but then I have no idea what worked and what didn’t once I get on the track. It totally sucks if you don’t have much time to test at the track, but that’s the game we’re all playing I guess.
awesome, thanks for the reply. I’m pretty much in the same boat, nearest track to me is an hour and a half, so testing any changes out prior to race day is almost non existent. Lol. I’ll give your suggestion a whirl! I’m not big on pro set ups either, they are typically for track conditions no where near the condition of tracks i race on. Thanks again for the advice; I look forward to trying these bypasses out!
Old 07-09-2019, 06:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Anyone found a good base set up sheet for a dirt, low traction, and rough track? All the ones on losi’s website are for big races, and we all know those are typically pristine, smooth, and blue. Anyway, anywhere other than losi’s website to find good X set up sheets that would satisfy our local club tracks better?
Old 07-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Use Don Vinkmulder's setup from Silverstate this year. I run on a similar track to what you explained and my car is really good with that set up. I do have 3.5mm shock shafts with Evo blue springs on the front and evo red springs on the back is the only difference
token likes this.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sancho
Use Don Vinkmulder's setup from Silverstate this year. I run on a similar track to what you explained and my car is really good with that set up. I do have 3.5mm shock shafts with Evo blue springs on the front and evo red springs on the back is the only difference
I second this.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

awesome, I’ll give it look see. Thanks a lot, Sancho! Edit: just looked at it. Looks pretty good, definitely a couple things on there that are different than what I run. Especially diff weights! I typically run 7-7-3. He was at 10-5-3. Saw something on his that I’ve always been curious about, but never really asked or figured out. He has a steel flywheel on his setup. What exactly does that do tuning wise in comparison to an aluminum flywheel? And how? Never figured this out.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Smooths the bottom end out.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Smooths the bottom end out.
then I can assume this is a lot harder on your clutch shoes right? Lol I feel that added weight would take it longer to get that heavier weight fly wheel spinning, causing more slippage from the shoes on the clutch bell, because it would start up slower? And most likely harder on your breaks, as that weight would also add to the centrifugal force of the flywheel, causing your drive train to remain spinning faster and longer once you let off the gas? Seems like there’s definitely some give and take going with steel. Am I on the right idea here? Lol

Last edited by xlrsd; 07-10-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

I have not noticed a difference in shoe life or brakes.
token likes this.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlrsd

then I can assume this is a lot harder on your clutch shoes right? Lol I feel that added weight would take it longer to get that heavier weight fly wheel spinning, causing more slippage from the shoes on the clutch bell, because it would start up slower? And most likely harder on your breaks, as that weight would also add to the centrifugal force of the flywheel, causing your drive train to remain spinning faster and longer once you let off the gas? Seems like there’s definitely some give and take going with steel. Am I on the right idea here? Lol
I think your looking at power direction opposite of where it's coming from. The steel flywheel reduces the rate of engine rpm. The clutch will engage at the same rpm whether it is a steel or aluminum flywheel. The engagement is dependent on the springs and weight of the shoes.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
I think your looking at power direction opposite of where it's coming from. The steel flywheel reduces the rate of engine rpm. The clutch will engage at the same rpm whether it is a steel or aluminum flywheel. The engagement is dependent on the springs and weight of the shoes.
dang, you’re right. I was trying to think my way through the physics of all that is happening in that chain. I was off. Lol. So essentially, heavier flywheel=slower engine spool up. In turn, reducing wheel spin out in loose traction, because it’s taking some away from torque.
Chris Reilly likes this.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)
Default lipo

Originally Posted by Officespace
Besides the Protek, Dynamite and Gens Ace batteries, does anyone know of any other receiver batteries that fit in the new battery tray? Using my old batteries from my 4.0 now, but want to upgrade/update my rx batteries soon. Thanks
trinity-revtech

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.