Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ProtoForm G6

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

Default ProtoForm G6

Curious to know if anyone has experience with this body.

Just picked one up, will run it later today..

Old 11-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

here ya go

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ight=protoform
Old 11-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

It's what I've run at SIR for the past month CJ. I love it, however don't have anything else to compare it to.

P.S. Be careful how far you trim the rear....
Old 11-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Right on. HAHA. I only trimmed up to the "license plate"
Old 11-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
Cool. Thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I havent tried it on asphalt, but on carpet w/foams it feels like the parma alfa. The parma alfa is a bit smoother though, and has more mid-exit steering. The G6 just cuts in really nice.

-Korey
Old 11-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Here are my personal experiences with the G6....
I posted this on the original G6 thread....

Isaac: wow...... well said.

Dale - PROTOform
Aerodynamics play a huge role in the overall set up of a car. In order to get the right set up all components related to handling have to work with each other. Tires make contact with the track surface and thus all forces are transfered through the tires to the track. That being said, if you do not have the right suspension setup, and by that I mean the way the forces are transfered throgh the roll centers and center of gravity to the suspension (SPRINGS) and then to the tires, you will never get your car to handle at its best. There are lateral and vertical forces. About 95% of the down force (verical forces) is developed by the body...THE BODY PLAYS a huge role in the way a car will handle. Now, not only does the body develop the down force (with the wing) but it also develops the forces needed to counter act the centrifugal forces when the car turns. The centripetal forces that the body helps to develop in conjunction with the down force will either help you get through the turns faster or slower.

Yes, bodies do have different aerodynamic properties, but the racer has to know how to place the body in the chassis. Angles of incidence are critical and most people ignore that. Another issue that most if not ALL drivers ignore is the BODY POST. The position of the body post in the chasis places a HUGE influence in the way a car will handle. After all , all the down force generated by the body is transfered to the chasis through the body posts. If the body posts are not in theright place on the chasis you will develop moments that will vary the handling characteristics of the car as speed changes... Finding the right aero-balance of a body includes many things.

YOu need to get your wing just right, too much downforce is just as bad as no downforce. Downforce creates either traction or drag...and you want to avoid drag as much as possible. Drag is theworst enemy for your electric motor...The way the G6 is designed, the wing plays a huge role in downforce balance. Just look at the aerodynamic properties of the body. The G6 develops just the right amount of downforce at the front of the car as long as you monut the bodie in the righjt position and angle...then the air flows in a decent laminar fashion across the top deck...no downforce is developed by the rear of the body, all that force needs to be created by the wing. By positioning the wing at the right height and angle you can control the way this body will make the car feel and drive. It can go from a neutral handling body to a rear ended heavy down force body. Protoform has made the G6 in a way that you can control the body balance fairly well. We have to give credit to their engineers for getting the air to flow justright, now its up to the drivers to set the body so that it will do what you want. The means are there, the G6 gives you that control.

It is extremely important that you get the wing in the right place and angle in order to take full advantage of the G6 aero-characteristics.

If some of you do not know how to analyze aerodynamic forces on your car, feel fre to contact me and I will explain how you can test and see exactly how the air flows through your body WHILE RACING. YOu will be able to see how the downforces (drag too) affect the handling. By doing this you can adjust your body to develop the right downforce in the right spot...After all, what you are trying to do is get justthe right amount of downforce to keep the car on the track without causing excessive drag...This is one of the factors that makes a car FAST!!!

If you just take the body out of the bag, paint it and mount it on your car without doing the right aero analysis on your car, you will never take full advantage of the great characteristics the G6 offers.

For what its worth!

Isaac

Last edited by BATT_MAN; 11-27-2005 at 05:09 PM.