Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

T.O.P Racing's Rebel 1/12th scale

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How do you set tweak with BMI side t-bars?
Old 07-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"I understand your point, but like i said i spent hours trying both at the track and the plates yield a faster and more consistant lap times than the spring. I know the car was design with the springs but im pretty sure the graphite plates were never tested by the designer. Like I said Im just trying to get The Rebel faster and more consistant at the track and hope to keep getting it in the Amain and maybe a few wins !! Isnt that what we all want? Instead of knocking down ideas how about trying and testing your self and see what results you get."

Nope...lol... I never tested the plates like this (at least on a 1/12 car). If Jason is going longer with the graphite plates then I am sure the spring rate will be closer and it should work well. In the past, the short plates (I believe) get too stiff, too quick. The only thing to watch now is the degrading of the graphite over so many runs as the fibers will break down and get softer over time (like a t-bar did).

Jason - Don't sweat it!! Larry has kicked me around a bit too the past few years since I was fired from TOP with the new products I've made - While he still drives everything I've drawn (and even graphite I've cut..lmao).
Old 07-18-2011, 01:52 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by clinehobbies
How do you set tweak with BMI side t-bars?
Most 1/12th setups these days will balance the chassis so that all you do is tighten the springs down until they touch and not actually set tweak. So long as the chassis is properly balanced it won't be tweaked...However that is one of the nice things about a spring setup is you can make a tweak adjustment for a quick fix.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
"I understand your point, but like i said i spent hours trying both at the track and the plates yield a faster and more consistant lap times than the spring. I know the car was design with the springs but im pretty sure the graphite plates were never tested by the designer. Like I said Im just trying to get The Rebel faster and more consistant at the track and hope to keep getting it in the Amain and maybe a few wins !! Isnt that what we all want? Instead of knocking down ideas how about trying and testing your self and see what results you get."

Nope...lol... I never tested the plates like this (at least on a 1/12 car). If Jason is going longer with the graphite plates then I am sure the spring rate will be closer and it should work well. In the past, the short plates (I believe) get too stiff, too quick. The only thing to watch now is the degrading of the graphite over so many runs as the fibers will break down and get softer over time (like a t-bar did).

Jason - Don't sweat it!! Larry has kicked me around a bit too the past few years since I was fired from TOP with the new products I've made - While he still drives everything I've drawn (and even graphite I've cut..lmao).
Hey Josh,
I am trying the longer plates for 2 reasons to be honest and both are for the reasons you are saying. I wanted a more linear spring rate and less movement of the plate to increase the life of the plate. They do last much longer than T bars as they dont even come close to experiencing the twisting loads of the T bar but like you say, they will break down over time. I have been running the same set since the birds so they are really lasting long and still not showing signs of fatigue. The longer ones seem to be working out very well so far.

Too funny, people are so quick to talk smack aren't they. I get such a kick out of it. Oh well, maybe we will be driving the cars they design soon and we can pull some flip mode on them. Talk to you soon brutha.

Last edited by protc3; 07-18-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Most 1/12th setups these days will balance the chassis so that all you do is tighten the springs down until they touch and not actually set tweak. So long as the chassis is properly balanced it won't be tweaked...However that is one of the nice things about a spring setup is you can make a tweak adjustment for a quick fix.
We are changing things up a bit but i really dont want to clog the Top thread with BMI stuff so if anyone wants any info, please PM me or we can discuss on the CH12 thread. Thanks guys.

BTW, thanks for the support guys.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Is the Rebel coming with the new motor pod plate and rear brace or is that going to remain an option part?
Old 07-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Is the Rebel coming with the new motor pod plate and rear brace or is that going to remain an option part?
they have one for mod
Old 07-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

The new motor plate set will not come in the kits and will remain an option. It was designed to allow the use of smaller spur gears when running mod motors. The original design by Josh is very open, has a low center of gravity and has proven to work very well on the Rebel, not to mention the CEFX car, so there are no plans to discontinue it
Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Champion

Ah ok cool...Eventually I'd like to pick one up just because I'm a 1/12th scale nut and have some design ideas of my own I'd like to try out but don't have machining equipment so I'll have to use pod plates from other cars for testing.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by odpurple
The new motor plate set will not come in the kits and will remain an option. It was designed to allow the use of smaller spur gears when running mod motors. The original design by Josh is very open, has a low center of gravity and has proven to work very well on the Rebel, not to mention the CEFX car, so there are no plans to discontinue it
Hey O.D.
What's up.

Normally we run LARGER Spur gears for mod.
Perhaps you meant to say smaller pinions ?
Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Hey O.D.
What's up.

Normally we run LARGER Spur gears for mod.
Perhaps you meant to say smaller pinions ?
Hi Dave

Ya, I know that of course but wasn't very clear. It sounded right at the time

What I meant was that the slot at the bottom of the motor plate for the motor screws does not go back far enough to make mesh between the pinion and spur when using the small pinions you would use for mod. So for some roll outs you have to run a larger spur gear than you might want to. The option motor plate solves that issue.

I really like the stock motor plates and since we run gigantic pinions in every class but mod now getting mesh is not a problem

Now I'd better go check all the emails I sent this morning and see if they were also clear as mud
Old 07-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Has anyone noticed any back to back handling differences with the std low, and optional motor mount?
There has been some discussion that the std low allows the motor to flex independantly of the pod, generating more rear grip, and a more consistent car.
The scratches on the sensor end of the motor only would seem to support the idea that the motor can flex a fair way.

I have not had a chance to try it myself, however a mate tried it, and felt like he had a lot less rear bite.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by odpurple
Hi Dave

Ya, I know that of course but wasn't very clear. It sounded right at the time
Just bustin your balls O.D.

You racing IIC ?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Just bustin your balls O.D.

You racing IIC ?
OW!

This will be my 7th IIC, wouldn't miss it
Old 07-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey Od,

Just picked up a Rebel 1/12th. I have a Question about the front springs. Which ones are equal to Associated .018 and .020 1/12th springs? I noticed that these spring have more coils are these springs Linear?

Im going to place and Order soon so i can get the right parts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.