Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Where do you put the holes in the tires? >

Where do you put the holes in the tires?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Where do you put the holes in the tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Holes in the center of the tire is the only way for me. depending on the track condition is the amount of holes I will put. 2 minumum and 4 max.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What is the best way to put a hole in a tire that is pre-mounted?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
you can still do it with a leather punch just be careful not to punch thru the foam
Old 04-29-2011, 04:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Really easy. Just get a pair of small pointed scissors and snip them in.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:53 AM
Tech Adept

So I'm a little confused... RC Car Action magazine recommends not only having vent holes in the rim, but actually making sure they're reamed out to 4mm, yet a few of you guys are telling me to make sure they're sealed up.

Which is it?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

On road is no big deal for holes inside the rims. They are not going to pick up all the dirt, sand and maybe water that an off road tire is going to get in it. Once the dirt and sand gets in it has not way to get out because the rotation of the tire forces it all to the outside of the tire and chances are it will not get past the foam insert. So your stuck with all that crap in your tires.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:07 AM
Tech Adept

I hear you, but RC Car Action was specifically talking about SC trucks, not on-road stuff, in the context of this information. I understand what you're saying about the dirt, but it seems strange to me that they would make such a recommendation if there was no basis for it.

Trying to figure it out... Does anyone find that punching holes in the tires causes undue or premature wear and tear on the tires themselves?
Old 04-29-2011, 05:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

The Proline tires I run already have holes in them from the factory. I have them on my Truggy and run them hard. And nothing bad has ever happened. All of us run holes in the tread of the tire where I race.

Now they may be wanting the hole in the wheel just in case your tire gets air between the foam and the wheel itself. But the foam today is pretty dense and air doesnt go through it that easy.

Also there was a guy that had drilled holes in his wheels at our race last weekend and Jason Branham that races for Xray told the guy the exact things I am telling you here. He won our Expert buggy by 3 laps against Mike Battaile, Steve Slayden and a couple others, So I will be taking his advice.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I guess by having a hole in the rim and tire you have a port for air to enter and exit. But , you also have the potential for dirt inside the tire.

I think I'd shy away from holes in the sidewalls though.

The only way to know is to experiment.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 7kings
I hear you, but RC Car Action was specifically talking about SC trucks, not on-road stuff, in the context of this information. I understand what you're saying about the dirt, but it seems strange to me that they would make such a recommendation if there was no basis for it.

Trying to figure it out... Does anyone find that punching holes in the tires causes undue or premature wear and tear on the tires themselves?
My stock losi SC truck rims came with a hole in the rim. On my loosely packed practice track the rear tires filled with sand. I just took the tire off two days ago to get the sand out. Wish i took a picture cuz It was a nice size pile per tire. So I plugged the holes in the rim and put em in the tread. And no more sand in the tires.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Tech Adept

Well, it sounds like the consensus is pretty clear from folks more experienced than myself. Although I just recently changed tires on my GT2 without finding any dirt or sand inside, I think I'm going to go ahead and plug those holes and create some tread-side vents instead.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My AKA tires have no holes anywhere on rim or tire, while my proline just has it on the rim.

So why not any holes at all, do they have to vent? Nothing gets in or out?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

If you put holes in the aka treads the tire should feel more plush on the track.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

My AKA tires have no holes anywhere on rim or tire, while my proline just has it on the rim.

So why not any holes at all, do they have to vent? Nothing gets in or out?
Because it will be very "bouncy". Also when the tire spins and expands air will be sucted into the tire, without a vent the tire stays full of air. I once forgot to vent the tires and thats what happened.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by infanterene
Because it will be very "bouncy". Also when the tire spins and expands air will be sucted into the tire, without a vent the tire stays full of air. I once forgot to vent the tires and thats what happened.
Yep, and also the air that's in there gets hot during a run and expands (if no holes are present) creating undesireable handling effects.

Gotta love rctech-2+ pages on holes in tires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.