Wiki Posts
Search

8 or 9 cells

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 09:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 8 or 9 cells

Hello,

I was thinking about building a 8 or 9 cell pack and I got to thinking about the voltage limit of my components. What will specify the cell limit? Besides the ESC, will my receiver malfunction-or will the BEC cope with it as normal? Has anybody done this before?

Also, does anybody know of a company that makes 7 cell GP3300 packs (and higher)?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2003, 11:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: 8 or 9 cells

Vortex,

I'd be happy to put together an 8 or 9 or however many cells you need. Just PM me and we'll work something out. What type of voltage are you looking for?

Originally posted by Vortex Buggy
Hello,

I was thinking about building a 8 or 9 cell pack and I got to thinking about the voltage limit of my components. What will specify the cell limit? Besides the ESC, will my receiver malfunction-or will the BEC cope with it as normal? Has anybody done this before?

Also, does anybody know of a company that makes 7 cell GP3300 packs (and higher)?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2003, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

The limit will generally be the voltage regulation int he ESC, which powers it's logic circuits as well as the BEC output to the receiver. Novak has typically limited the majority of their ESCs to 10 cells (conveniently, 12V nominal), which is pretty reasonable. Tekin used to go from 10 all the way to 32 cells (38.4V!), but their ESCs had specially designed BEC circuits, or specified external receiver packs at high voltages.

Recently, I've seen a lot of controllers that only do 6-7 or 4-8 cells, which I find a little bit disappointing.

With modern ESCs, <=8 cells is a practical limit, with 10 being possible using ESCs that support it.

-dave