Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 12:18 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I run 61mm front shocks with the short ball ends and 64mm in the rear with the long ball ends. This lets me run a variety of tire sizes since my foams drop a 1 mm aweek after I race them and then retrue for next week. Those Takes Offs I ran were 63mm.

I geared my P2K2 at 34/104 (64 pitch). I think I was rolling out around 28.90 or so. I ran 33 and was rolling out at 28.31. Never figured it out after going ot the 34 pinion but my tires never changed sizes.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Cool.

Do you run the center one-way pulley with the front diff ??

Or the direct drive center pulley ?
Old 09-09-2002, 12:47 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

I run direct drive with no one ways. My normal track is too tight to run one ways. The track I run at is a small indoor asphalt track with alot of hairpins that you need to slow up some and with the one way you would overshoot alot.

Now the outside track I ran at this Sunday was really big and flowing so if my oneway was not malfunctuioning I would have liked to try the dould one way setup. I think on this track it would have really helped me out. 99% of the time I run diffs only and that is because of where I race at.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ok great.

I'm ordering the parts to replace the front one-way with a diff.

Yok has a part called "front differential kit, steel" -- do you know what that is ??

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:24 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Not sure what that is. Most of the diff stuff that you need extra wise is with the SP kit. You will need bearings, diff rigs, diff balls, etc. You can get a extra set of the plastic outdrives so you then you will some spare outdrive stuff.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:13 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

To answer the question about the steel diffs. They are the steel outputs used on the MX4. They look exactly the same, but are in steel, instead of plastic.

I can't say i've had many failures with the plastic diffs so I'll stick with them. They are lighter and cheaper.

As for front one ways, since I've been running one of my Specials with a 21 turn stock motor recently I have put both one ways in. The original front one way was weak and failed regularly. Yoke recently introduced a newer version with bigger bearings, and this is the one I have in there now. It seems OK.

Someone mentioned gearing of 34 / 103 or something similar, for stock motors. Well I have been running 42 / 90 and I still get 6 minutes with plenty of speed and good lap times. I may drop it a bit, perhaps go down to 40 pinion, but certainly no less. I suggest you try upping it a bit. Unless of course you are running on a very small track.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:01 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

JohnBull that is some serious gearing you have their. Your track must be pretty flowing and somewhat on the larger size.

The 33/104 on our track is good as it is kinda small with alot of hairpins. I normally run 26.50 to 28.50mm or rollout on our track.

I think I will put my one way in again as I check over it last night and just can't find any problems with it. It spins smooth and has no binding. Nothing looks bent so I will put it in again when I know I'm going to a large flowing track.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

WYD.

Yes, our track is pretty large. Over 200 metres a lap on the shortest circuit and nearer 300 metres for the long track.

You'll know if your front one way has gone if it free wheels in both directions. If it does, there isn't much you can do except bin it and go for the new one with the bigger bearings.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:49 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Wow that is very large. I would imagine that is very cool as well. I would guess that it is very fast in stock and mod and at that size I would like to think that racing is fairly clean. Sounds like a cool place to race at.

Do you have alot of tracks close to you in Malta? Not really familiar with your area but I bet it is HOT!!!

When you run rubber tires how do you like the TakeOff brand? I really liked mine this weekend and would also like to try some Sorex ones next time I have to run rubber tires.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:16 PM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

WYD, what kind of surface are you running the rubber tires on? Asphalt/carpet? If asphalt, what temp range is the track when you run? I have found Sorex tires to be faster, just about everywhere I've run. Some other tires may wear a little better, but even when the Sorex tires look worn out, they don't loose much performance.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:50 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

When I ran last weekend it was rubber tires on asphalt. Track temp was about 90 or so. It was not too hot out here on Sunday. I will buy some Sorex tires next time I have to race rubber tires along with a new set of TakeOff's. I hear alot of good things about the Sorex tires.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:52 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

WYD.

We have a couple of tracks in Malta. each belongs to a seperate club. Our track belongs to a club called IRMCC of which I am president, and which runs electric exclusively. The other tyrack, which is even larger belongs to the RMCA and they run IC exclusively, so it works well.

Regarding tyres. Yes the Sorex does grip more than the Take off, as MO said, and it is cheaper. But as the best all rounder I still find nothing better than a Pit Schimitzu D30 - but not with it's own insert. Try a moulded insert that is soft and fills the tyre.

Actually you may find it's own insert OK in some applications, for example when we raced at West London in England, the Pits with it's own insert was by far the best bet.

I suppose it depends on your track surface.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:02 AM
mo
Tech Master

WYD: With a 90deg track temp, you are right on the edge between a Sorex 28R and a 36R. If you are running during the day, and the track doesn't get below 90, then I would run 36R's with either Yokomo firm inserts or Sorex Firm type B inserts. It may take a lap or two to get them up to temp, but they will work great once they do. If 90 is the highest the track gets, I would go with 28R's with Sorex Firm type B inserts.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:27 AM
Tech Regular

How long will sorexes last on concrete (the non finished/polished/gritty kind)??? Remember I am not a pro so I wanna make sure its not a "good for a weekend only" set.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:07 AM
mo
Tech Master

All surfaces are different, but here at Speedworld Raceway, which is fairly abrasive, I can get at least a dozen fast runs out of them as long as you use the right tire for the temperature. If you are running stock class, you should be able to get probably twice as many runs as that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.