Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nOOb & turn radius

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? nOOb & turn radius

New-ish to the RC hobby here and could really use some info from you more experienced hobbyists. Thanks, in advance.

I am running a stock Traxxas 2wd Slash, brushed version. I decided to start upgrading and started with the wheels and tires to aid in traction and over-all off road capability. I installed Pro-Line Masher 2000 2.2s on RPM Revolver 'Wide offset' rims. So now I have a wider base from left to right as well as wheels that are just over a inch taller and half an inch wider.

Anyway, my problem is the moment I started running this setup with my 100% stock Slash 2wd buddy my turn radius is at least 8x wider. Its horrible. About half of the width of a basketball court to his turning within a foot or two.

I have not seen anyone with this issue. Is it the wider offset causing this? Is there anything that I can do to combat this? Metal turnbuckles, stronger server, toe out... etc. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Those tires are probably too big and too massive for the truck and the servo. Put the old ones back on and test your truck again.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:46 AM
Tech Adept

The wheels and tires could absolutely be limiting you steering capabilities. have a friend or a local hobby shop employee show you how to check you steering limits. the new wheels may be interfering with another part of the truck.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies thus far guys. It definitely was rubbing the lexan body at the wheel wells so I removed it and it helped the smallest bit. It does seem like the truck cannot handle that size. Would a stronger servo even combat this? I will test with the stock tires again to ensure that its the only variable. Also considered gearing differently to add torque for the rear wheels to push is harder.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Mashers are more of a 'Stampedish - monster truckish' type tire. SCTs are different type of truck. A stronger servo would definitely help, but that's more money for a difficult setup.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SMcD
Mashers are more of a 'Stampedish - monster truckish' type tire. SCTs are different type of truck. A stronger servo would definitely help, but that's more money for a difficult setup.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Try and make sure the steering epa is all the way up!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This is what happens when you make a truck too wide.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Hoese37
This is what happens when you make a truck too wide.
I used to run t4 wheels on my sc10 and it made the handling diferent, but there was never a steering shortage because it was wider
Old 01-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

You can put a longer servo horn on it and extend it all the way out, easy fix. Yes also make sure your D/R or dual rate is all the way up, EPA( End Point Adjustment) as well if you have those options. Tires are fine, Also could upgrade to a stronger servo with a wider turn angle. All these are fixes, or yes go back to stock, but who wants to do that?

LIK
Old 01-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Tech Champion

Larger tires with a wider track on a typical off road with lots of caster take a lot more force to steer. Watch the tires, are they steering less than expected while driving?

Not only might the servo be too weak, but if it has a servo saver that may be giving up too.

An old reference, but this was a problem with the first Losi truck, JR-XT, lots of wheel offset with the weak regular servos of the day = very poor steering at speed. Higher power servo plus stronger servo saver fixed it.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

For an easy fix, just put a few oz of weight in the front.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Awesome responses guys. I really appreciate it. It would appear that the stock transmitter (TX 6516) for this Slash 2wd does not have EPA, DR, or any programming other than connecting it to a receiver. I was looking for an excuse to upgrade to a programmable model with more features anyway. So it looks like to upgrade to these larger wider tires with a wider track I need to upgrade to a stronger servo/servo-saver and a programmable transmitter are the way to go.

Upgrades to run upgrades! Lol. Guess I will start researching. Thanks folks.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Is your servo saver properly tightened? It could be that the extra mass and traction of the new tires is flexing your servo saver instead of applying more steering to the tires. Something to check.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Savox!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.