Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
 Should racers be required to move out of stock at a certain level? >

Should racers be required to move out of stock at a certain level?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should racers be required to move out of stock at a certain level?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

Even expert stock has generally been reserved for unsponsored drivers. ROAR has even requested that factory drivers not enter any stock classes in the past.

I personally agree with that.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Maybe track handout motors and batteries for novice class?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rc10t3b4
Maybe track handout motors and batteries for novice class?
That would price most out just with the entry fee. Novice and stock are completely different.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Around here the fast guys run mod and the rest of us run stock. Its not a rule but a courtesy. When someone gets fast and is gapping stock most if not all have bumped up and raced mod. Its not been a issue, and when we have big trophy races I have never seen anyone drop down and race stock to get a trophy. Pretty cool bunch of folks at our club track I guess!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Could

be calling out someone for running a class as less then the one they prefer to race ...
I can think of a more efficient way of doing that... usually the thread title is "Yo! <username>... and the thread body is "you are a POS and you should step up and stop collecting all the bowling trophies for your man cave... leave some for the newbs."
Old 07-23-2013, 03:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BRSracing
Around here the fast guys run mod and the rest of us run stock. Its not a rule but a courtesy. When someone gets fast and is gapping stock most if not all have bumped up and raced mod. Its not been a issue, and when we have big trophy races I have never seen anyone drop down and race stock to get a trophy. Pretty cool bunch of folks at our club track I guess!
sounds like a good environment with a healthy RC culture...

that being said... when i first jumped on the scene with RC Touring car my local track let me get away with murder for the first race. I had a non roar approved body, my set up was way out of wack, my motor was under powered, and i was running tires that were too wide.... and i was a newb.

after i crashed it up (but stayed out of the darn way!) and finished dead last... the track owner and a couple of the fast guys sat down with me and helped me tweak the car. they even lent me some unused practice packs to use after the track was clear... hell i got a free (and beat up) approved body for the next weeked... one of the guys rebuilt my abused stock motor (cut the com and used some left over used parts) so i'd have a chance. I finished second from last!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Breakout racing. Sounds like the best and cheapest way to make a class both novice friendly and still fun for seasoned pros. Check it out.

I tried getting this going at my track once, but I think people like the idea of controlled class (like stock) more than actually having a truly controlled class.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Stock does not mean rookie. It means stock. There's a few tracks around here that have a decent stock turnout. Theres usally about 5 "fast" guys. a few that's all they race and some race mod also. It makes for some good racing. It's a good class for new guys to learn the fundamentals of rc racing without dealing with too much power but in no way is for rookies only.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmay70
If the class is Stock then they have no right not allowing someone to enter. If the class name is Novice, that is a totally different story.
On one hand this guy had it right almost 9 years ago.

On the other hand I know of a track where stock buggy is huge. With 4-5 heats on the average club night and only 1...maybe 2 heats of mod. The top 2, 3-4 guys in stock are always at the top. They're fast enough that they would easily be racing for the top 3-4 spots in mod. I can only think they have their own self gratifying reasons why they don't move to mod.

"Ya, we get it. You're the fastest guys in the stock class..now move up and let someone else get there."

If your the "fast guy" in the stock class, staying there forever before you move up isn't going to help you. You're not likely to walk into the mod class and be at the top. Stock and mod "race" different, there's going to be a learning curve. Deal with it.

IMO
Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

I know some guys that have been racing 25+ yrs and still run stock, it's what they know best and they are fast and consistent.....it's a hobby to me, I dont get involved in all the drama, this is drama......run what you brung and have fun while doing it.....so many seem to forget that part....If you have a chassis sponsor, get out of stock, it's that simple.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
I know some guys that have been racing 25+ yrs and still run stock, it's what they know best and they are fast and consistent.....it's a hobby to me, I dont get involved in all the drama, this is drama......run what you brung and have fun while doing it.....so many seem to forget that part....If you have a chassis sponsor, get out of stock, it's that simple.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jackcarter3
Have you ever raced 17.5? It's harder in many aspects then mod. You have to carry more corner speed, hit your lines every time, and be consistent. All the fast 17.5 guys I know are also fast in mod but race 17.5 for the different challenges it presents. To me it's boring but to each his own. I definitely disagree with your comment and believe its more challenging than mod.
When I hear people telling me it is more "challenging" I think its nonsense. Different skill set, maybe. I've ran both. Stock truck/buggy is WAY easier. From what I have seen, the top Stock guys keep running Stock because they can keep on winning (well, at least in my neck of the woods). They don't want to face tougher competition in mod where they might be outclassed. When someone tells me they are the fastest "slow" guy, I am never all that impressed.

Mod IS harder, especially for 2wd buggy. In fact, I can't think of a harder to master class than 2wd Mod buggy.

This whole thread reminds me of why I hate Stock 1/10th scale racing and love 8th scale electric. It's all MOD separated by driver skill level.

Last edited by blade329; 07-23-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Tech Legend

Geeess...
Get with the times dudes...

Stock is no longer a entry level class !!!!
No way anyone can tell someone who races the class they do not belong.

That's why I have been doing my best to discuss a new sportsman class for the new racer .

Novice is whats broken ..

leave the 17.5 class alone !!!

Stock is healthy and has been doing great .
We don't want to screw the class up with more rules ..
Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

I can see some of your points. I don't run stock. I think it's boring. I prefer mod. When I tried stock, it was a lot harder to get fast lap times. It was a lot harder to get through the rhythm sections. The gaps had to be hit exact and the corner speed had to be up or you were coming up short. Mod, well you can just throttle it. I've been racing a long time and I personally think you have to be a better driver to go fast in stock where as mod a lot of people with less skill have speed. Some at least, and no consistency. The fast stock guys on some layouts are faster or really close to mod times. You say stock is easier but I guess it depends on what your looking at. Obviously it's not lap times.

Originally Posted by blade329
When I hear people telling me it is more "challenging" I think its nonsense. Different skill set, maybe. I've ran both. Stock truck/buggy is WAY easier. From what I have seen, the top Stock guys keep running Stock because they can keep on winning (well, at least in my neck of the woods). They don't want to face tougher competition in mod where they might be outclassed. When someone tells me they are the fastest "slow" guy, I am never all that impressed.

Mod IS harder, especially for 2wd buggy. In fact, I can't think of a harder to master class than 2wd Mod buggy.

This whole thread reminds me of why I hate Stock 1/10th scale racing and love 8th scale electric. It's all MOD separated by driver skill level.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Geeess...
Get with the times dudes...

Stock is no longer a entry level class !!!!
No way anyone can tell someone who races the class they do not belong.

That's why I have been doing my best to discuss a new sportsman class for the new racer .

Novice is whats broken ..

leave the 17.5 class alone !!!

Stock is healthy and has been doing great .
We don't want to screw the class up with more rules ..
stock was entry level in 1999 with the touring car crew. a out of the box "fast" stock motor is slow enough to learn... once you learn you mod the hell out of it (within the rules) and you go faster... some people just like the "stock" class. they think there is some kind of magic behind it.

you've gone from wanting a cheap competative class rules driven "kit", to giving someone crap, to a "new" sportsman class. lol... there are sportsman classes out there for areas that can support it. there were factory slash classes (and i'm sure they would come back if there was enough people "getting into the hobby") but they didnt last either.

is a track supposed to take up the practice/qualifying/race time for 2 people that want to run your new sportsman class?

what i'm saying... from the manufactorer to the local club... if there was ANY DEMAND for this they would be doing it NOW. they are in the business of making money from the new people (and the ones that are hooked already)... from selling the kits to having people show up to race... buying tires, batteries, motors, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.