Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
 Should racers be required to move out of stock at a certain level? >

Should racers be required to move out of stock at a certain level?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should racers be required to move out of stock at a certain level?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jake S
box stock 2wd corr = perfect sportsman class....

brushless motors (3300kv losi/ae, 3500kv traxxas)
2.4ghz radios
gear diffs
'waterproof'

and just do like VTA - 2s limit and 5000 max MAH to keep cost lower.

also only change can be to change radio, rest must be box stock components from any company.

http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_a...C10/Race-Spec/

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB0115

http://traxxas.com/products/models/o...07slashvxl2012
Problem is, somebody will make a better "box stock" kit, and the cycle starts over again.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Instead ?

Lets tell him we have a $200 RTR designed for sportsman and he will buy & join the fun ...

Let the novice that is ready and has experience buy all the brushless & LiPo when he steps up to 17.5 spec...
Or to take it a step further, have AE, Losi, etc make a 17.5 Spec RTR vehicle that fits the class for basically the same price. Heck, based on what I can see, if durango changes there motor, they are already there.

Or heck, the SP motors being used in those kits can be had CHEAP, offer both the 13.5 and the 17.5 out of the box.

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
Problem is, somebody will make a better "box stock" kit, and the cycle starts over again.
True. May be it needs to conform to the simplest limitations, ROAR legal for 17.5 leaves them room for growth to a point.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Racing is expensive at all levels. I've raced RC Touring Cars 12 years ago... in the mean time I've raced 600cc motorcycles and sprint road race cars...

if a novice expects to go out and compete the first day... "WE" as hobbiests have given them the wrong information. They need to break into the hobby with a RTR kit (or so "we" say... or is the trend). Then they figure out if they like it or not. They may not even be able to control the thing (highly unlikely with the video game generation but still).

If they like it (you think competing and winning will ensure they like it) they will stay. I think they will like it if the culture and environment is right... and thats not linked to a class or where they finish.

my local track has NO NOVICE classes and NO STOCK SCT class. Its mod or bust... but A main, B main, and C main guys are all treated the same... they are all treated well... they all help each other. even the guys that talk smack.

why cant graduating (being fast enough) to go from the C main to the B main be enough of a "reward" for the weekend?
Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Tech Legend

Can't do it , the brushless system will push the cost of the car right off the table and the customer out the door .

Think about it ..
your new & inexperience but interested in racing....

Would be be able to sell you a race car all ready to go for sportsman class .....

for $200 maybe even less !!!!

Will be a lot less expensive then any RTR brushless set-up ....

Inexpensive because sportsman will only allow brush & NiML...
Will be slower in speeds because the manufactures can produce a approved sealed brush motor,NiML batteries & ESC for very cheep ...

We need to make the entry class grow again and this is the way ...

Create a separate sportsman class for the new guy to win and have fun ....

Let the 17.5 class be the stepping stone ......

Everyone wins .....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 07-22-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Inexpensive because sportsman will only allow brush & NiML...

as someone who helped build several "spec" miata race cars... if you allow them to touch anything on the car... it will get expensive. in full car racing... thats a $7k/year stock motor. their stock motors cost more than my built high horse power honda motors (within the rules... always)

if you let me have a brushed motor... i'm going to show you a guy that has enough stuff laying around to build ringers.

and "spec" or stock class can and will fall to a guy with more money than brains.

if they slash based classes died out and didnt have new blood coming in... your issue isnt cheap classes to get into racing. you have two factors...
1. not enough play money to spend on the hobbies
2. its not a fun place to go "compete" even with the "slow old truck" (against other slow old trucks)
Old 07-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by JMURACN
as someone who helped build several "spec" miata race cars... if you allow them to touch anything on the car... it will get expensive. in full car racing... thats a $7k/year stock motor. their stock motors cost more than my built high horse power honda motors (within the rules... always)

if you let me have a brushed motor... i'm going to show you a guy that has enough stuff laying around to build ringers.

and "spec" or stock class can and will fall to a guy with more money than brains.

if they slash based classes died out and didnt have new blood coming in... your issue isnt cheap classes to get into racing. you have two factors...
1. not enough play money to spend on the hobbies
2. its not a fun place to go "compete" even with the "slow old truck" (against other slow old trucks)

sorry , will be a sealed motor !!!!

Batteries allowed will be approved !!!!

ESC ? No boost ect to worry about ...

We need some BAIT !!!!!

Lets start hooking the new guy into a R/c race with a inexpensive , fun car where the experts are racing 17.5 spec & Mod .....
Old 07-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

What happened to the slash classes? Weren't they exactly what you are talking about?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Tech Legend

What happened to the slash classes? Weren't they exactly what you are talking about?
Correct ...

But no more Slash racing , right ?

I do recognize why it was so successful however...

Where this whole sportsman idea comes from in fact ....
Old 07-22-2013, 03:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I'm a firm believer that the slower classes should be for the less skilled. The expert club drivers usually run that class not because it is more challenging, but because they can win in it. Nobody can convince me that Stock is more challenging than Mod. It's not.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

What will stop me to buy a battery tester, a dyno and 10 approved motors and 10 approved batteries? And a transmitter/servo combo in the 600$ range?

I will be faster (given same skill) than the guy who you aim for. Cheap and entry level.

At our club we just have sportsman (=beginners, run what you brung, for people learning to get around the track, racing etiquette and racing rules).
Everything else is mod. I truly believe that mod is the true cheap class: Everyone can buy more horsepower than one can handle for less than a fast stock motor.

Isn't the issue more that there is a mentality these days that everyone needs to be a winner? Trophies for everyone! Made a full lap without having to be marshalled: Achievement unlocked!

Last year I used to be in the back of the field doing battle with others in the back of the pack. We had a lot of fun and we were comparing our lap times with eachother. I was lapped three times by the winner. With a lot of practice I moved up the ranks and am now battling in the middle of the pack. Last clubrace I was only lapped once and only by the winner! Progress for me!

Any spec class, that is just there to make things equal will only work when you have handout cars, with handout transmitters and everything. Otherwise there will always be better servos, batteries, motors and transmitters.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Regular

Correct ...

But no more Slash racing , right ?

I do recognize why it was so successful however...

Where this whole sportsman idea comes from in fact ....
what happened to the slash class? if this is where your idea came from where did it go? why did it die out? renaming it wont help.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Legend

I believe......

Need a new entry level class that is inexpensive and slow enough so beginners can learn how to drive & have fun racing R/c ......

JMRACN

Topic in itself , but just say the sport seems to like a particular class for a few years and moves along to something new ..
Old 07-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329
I'm a firm believer that the slower classes should be for the less skilled. The expert club drivers usually run that class not because it is more challenging, but because they can win in it. Nobody can convince me that Stock is more challenging than Mod. It's not.

Have you ever raced 17.5? It's harder in many aspects then mod. You have to carry more corner speed, hit your lines every time, and be consistent. All the fast 17.5 guys I know are also fast in mod but race 17.5 for the different challenges it presents. To me it's boring but to each his own. I definitely disagree with your comment and believe its more challenging than mod.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

I believe......

Need a new entry level class that is inexpensive and slow enough so beginners can learn how to drive & have fun racing R/c ......

JMRACN

Topic in itself , but just say the sport seems to like a particular class for a few years and moves along to something new ..
Well you have been rehashing old classes that have come and gone. Even "truggy" and others haven't lived. Are you trying to do market research or tell the companies to do it!?!? Im pretty sure they are trying to find the next hot thing.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Tech Legend

Well you have been rehashing old classes that have come and gone. Even "truggy" and others haven't lived. Are you trying to do market research or tell the companies to do it!?!? Im pretty sure they are trying to find the next hot thing.

Could

be calling out someone for running a class as less then the one they prefer to race ...

Rather suggest how to fix all that and make racing fun for all levels of experience .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.