Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Race Commentary.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ian ruggles and mike smith do a great job at cleveland check out the 12th scale mod race and listen to the announcer

http://www.nashrcracer.com/cleveland...2003videos.htm
Old 11-20-2004, 08:05 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I've never understood why large events in some other countries don't have more active announcing. Having a "play by play" style announcer helps keep the fans and spectators into the race, and that's the whole idea behind big events: promote the hobby, the drivers, the products, and so on.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

In a sport where good race directors are few and far between Scotty bring a level of excitement that not only entertains the racers but keeps the fans clued in to what is happening.

While in Florida one of the Euro drivers leaned over to me and said we should find a way to bottle up some of that enthusiasm that Scotty has, so he could sell it back home.

Scotty is entertaining. Baker and Charlie S. are quite a lot of fun as well.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:02 AM
Tech Regular

Some people say its off putting to have people commentating during races, but I find it MORE annoying when people arn't - both during quali and finals. We have all these sophisticated race software that shows your pace, your fastest lap, who's catching who etc etc and people don't use it!

Over here in the UK our "equivellant" of Scotty is Kris Kennedy (he was announcing at the Euro Reedy race on the sunday) and having someone like that just adds so much atmosphere to the race. I often commentate at our county championships (only because people ask me to) just to try to build some atmosphere - I mean the A-Finals, these are the best guys racing together and some people don't even know who's leading .....
Old 11-21-2004, 04:47 AM
Tech Regular

I would like to say that having someone coment all the time is sometimes distracting. On the otherhand, at the Tamiya Eurofinals this year at Apeldoorn the finals were comented by Paul DaGrassa (a semi-Dutch fellow who speaks perfect English) who did a great job and wasn't distracting at all.

Last years Eurofinals an automated program was used (made by Stephen Fabray) wich gave positions every minute and even gave warning when a slower driver was being lapped. This was an automated program, so no person touched a mic. This was extremly good aswell because it didn't distract you from the thing we were doing there, "Racing"!

So what i'm saying is that having a race announcer is very good for the hobby, but they need to know when to shut up.

Regards
Old 11-21-2004, 05:23 AM
Tech Adept

Good, high energy announcing really makes racing fun and exciting. Automated and purposefully non distractive announcing is extremely dull. Good racers should be able to concentrate well enough that this isn't an issue at all. If an announcer is distractive to you, then you surely need to work on your concentration.

Spectators are potential racers. Do we want them to run up and see what's going on, or do we want them to keep walking because they assume someone is playing golf.

That automated stuff really sucks. A local (former) track owner thought he no longer needed an announcer, when he found out J-Lap software would do it for him. It was real lame.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:51 AM
Tech Regular

Commentary is kinda good when your racing as you can hear the comentator say how far the other car is behind you but it's anoying when the comentator gets your name wrong

Chazz
Old 11-21-2004, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Bodido
Good, high energy announcing really makes racing fun and exciting. Automated and purposefully non distractive announcing is extremely dull. Good racers should be able to concentrate well enough that this isn't an issue at all. If an announcer is distractive to you, then you surely need to work on your concentration.

Spectators are potential racers. Do we want them to run up and see what's going on, or do we want them to keep walking because they assume someone is playing golf.

That automated stuff really sucks. A local (former) track owner thought he no longer needed an announcer, when he found out J-Lap software would do it for him. It was real lame.
Please don't give such explicit coments on program you've never used or seen at work!
At last years Tamiya Euro finals (Snetterton England) about 90% of the drivers didn't know it was an automated program untill Stephen Fabray announced it on sunday afternoon when the finals were over! THATS HOW GOOD IT WORKED!
If you are comparing this program (wich i'm sure you've never even heard of) to some program (that will probably work fine) that is offered for free and is probably made by an enthusiast who want to make life easier for organisers like us, you're comparing aples with pears!

So please tone down a bit!
Old 11-21-2004, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think that it is a petty thing to complain about. If you don't like racing because of an guys commentary then don't race. It is like anything else in racing you have to overcome obsticles to become better. I had to learn how to tune my car over and over and over again and I am still learning, but I don't wish that the car was just perfect out of the box. It makes it exciting, I race guys with the very same motor and car, I love to know that I found a better set-up then them and win. Now if the guy annoucing is getting under your skin, I suggest buying a set of ear plugs if it that distracting. I concentrait on my car and my lap times and that is about all I think about and I rarely hear the anoucer unless I am winning (which doesn't happen as much as I would like). I am just trying to give you an Idea of how absolutely senceless this is. I understand that we have things we don't like about his hobby, but it doesn't make me want to change it all so that everyone else who enjoys it should suffer. THAT IS PLAIN SELFISH. Consider others and there wants before trying to speaking poorly of others. I don't think your opinion is a valid one. BUt that is what is great about opinions (everyone has them and no one has to believe other peoples). I would gladly send you a pair of ear plugs so that you could enjoy racing more. Send me your address and I will send you out a pair. No I not kidding. If I am able to make this Hobby more enjoyable without crushing my wallet or my spirit I will be willing to help. I just wish others would do the same more often.
Thanks for listening to my two pennies (take them or leave them)
Stephen <><
Old 11-21-2004, 07:19 AM
Suspended

Right on man!

Old 11-21-2004, 12:21 PM
PaZ
Tech Master

At my local rc our timing computer does all of it for us its sooo droning, but most of the time the people around the track are enough commentary anyway especially if you are doin well lol
Old 11-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

When I was makig A-mains at big races (10 years ago!) I couldn't hear anything besides my car I was concentrating so hard. I got taken out in a qualifier by a still big name driver and everyone came up to me afterward and said that was the loudest booo-ing they ever heard. I had no idea what they were talking about.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:52 PM
PaZ
Tech Master

Old 11-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Jack Smash
When I was makig A-mains at big races (10 years ago!) I couldn't hear anything besides my car I was concentrating so hard. I got taken out in a qualifier by a still big name driver and everyone came up to me afterward and said that was the loudest booo-ing they ever heard. I had no idea what they were talking about.
At a big race, ok. But if you have to concentrate that hard at club level then the fun is out of the hobby.
I race at big events to and have to admit that during the time i'm racing there i'm of this world aswell, but when i race at my local club (wich btw is mine ) we joke and laugh while racing. Having an anouncer at those races would take away the joy for me. Al we need there is an update on positions every now and then. Unless you are leading. Then you know what your position is
Old 11-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

Hardriven RC

Couldn't agree more. Sometimes at local races, I wonder who's driving the cars as there is so much conversation/needling going on on the drivers stand. When I started racing I could drive or talk, now apart from the odd loss of concentration I can drive, joke and even know who just crashed loudly.

It makes it really a fun experience.

At big races an announcer is/would be great. Watching a race without knowing who is actually leading is not very interesting for spectators. As a racer I have let another driver past thinking they were lapping me when in fact we were racing for position, (obviously I get lapped a lot for this to be an issue).

Cheers
Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.