Wiki Posts
Search

Servo Advice Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark _australia
Finally, somebody who realises that a basher / casual race doesn't need mega fast $100 servos.
You don't need them, but they definitely make the car handle very differently. I'm not a great driver by any stretch, but the difference between an over-rated Savox 1267 and the Radiopost RP3009M was night and day. The car was much easier to drive by simply swapping a servo. Paying $50 more for something that will make the car much easier to drive is always worth it. We'll spend $100+ on springs, pistons and oils or $100 on a few suspension upgrades to try and make a car easier to drive, but then people will cheap out and try to save $30-$50 for a servo.

I used to use a 180oz/in @ .15 servo for steering and always bashed guys for wanting retarded spec'd servos. Well, now that I've tried them, I can see why. If you have any way to try a "mega fast $100 servo" on your car, do it.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrakeTurnAccelerate
You don't need them, but they definitely make the car handle very differently. I'm not a great driver by any stretch, but the difference between an over-rated Savox 1267 and the Radiopost RP3009M was night and day. The car was much easier to drive by simply swapping a servo. Paying $50 more for something that will make the car much easier to drive is always worth it. We'll spend $100+ on springs, pistons and oils or $100 on a few suspension upgrades to try and make a car easier to drive, but then people will cheap out and try to save $30-$50 for a servo.

I used to use a 180oz/in @ .15 servo for steering and always bashed guys for wanting retarded spec'd servos. Well, now that I've tried them, I can see why. If you have any way to try a "mega fast $100 servo" on your car, do it.
I agree. Even learning, I'd rather use a faster servo. I believe you should learn to drive what you would race.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Tech Initiate

savox are the best 1256 ster 1258 thro but if u want really cheap jr126 for both
thats if u are running buggy but truggy ? i dont have a clue. the jrs are around 35 each and i ran on them about 6 months i would buy 4 at once then send them in whe needed 5 bucks to get them rebuilt i ran the savox on 6.6v life awsome proformance no problems but watch buying hitech if you run futaba had lots of glitching and burnt the throttle out 2 times watch your epa and your radio settings extreamly close if your running futaba read your manual it will save u money
Old 02-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I personally like the Hitec 7954 for steering and 7940 for throttle/brake. Fast and strong enough to do the job.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Power HD high voltage servos

i love my POWER HD high voltage servos. they are very good working, very fast and powerfull servos. i use them on steering and throtle/brake. if interested look here
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ge-servos.html
Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Simply Savox.
Had both mine for 2 years and never a problem!!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Tech Initiate

You know there is a saying,"you get what you pay for". That doesn't mean you have to spend $200 on a JR HV. But please don't spend $40 on a servo and expect it to protect your $500 + nitro burning monster because, if it decides to go I don't think you can run that fast to save it. I am a Hitec fan and run the HS-7945TH for both throttle and steering.I know they are not the fastest but they definatly perform with out fault. They run @ 0.12/250oz @6V - 0.10/319.4oz @7.4V. I do run lipo because they do not fade like a NiMH. I hope all goes well and use the rubber gromets.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default No RadioPost for 8th scale steering **off road**

Originally Posted by BrakeTurnAccelerate
Radiopost.

Savox's seem to be a little overrated, especially the speed, but when you factor in the price, they are still a good servo.

That said, I recently picked up a Radiopost RP3009M because a "trusty" Hitec died.. I don't think I will ever own another brand of servo, given the opportunity. They are fast, smooth, precise and really quiet. For the price, they simply can't be beat.
I want to throw in my 2 cents on RadioPost. DO NOT BUY THEM FOR 8th SCALE STEERING.
I've blown out 1 red and 2 greens in 2 weeks! I'm DONE. The first set blown didn't even last a month of racing.
I did send them back in and RadioPost does repair stripped gears for you.
I love my RadioPost controller and receivers, but I'm done with there servos.

RadioPost are great for 10th scale, and 8th scale throttle, but they can not handle the punishment of 8th scale off road steering.

I'm moving to Savox 2271 because Billie Fishcer recommends these and I can get a good price and warranty on them through Team Terribles.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vortexted
I want to throw in my 2 cents on RadioPost. DO NOT BUY THEM FOR 8th SCALE STEERING.
I've blown out 1 red and 2 greens in 2 weeks! I'm DONE. The first set blown didn't even last a month of racing.

RadioPost are great for 10th scale, and 8th scale throttle, but they can not handle the punishment of 8th scale off road steering.

I'm moving to Savox 2271 because Billie Fishcer recommends these and I can get a good price and warranty on them through Team Terribles.

There you go now there's 2 guys that are popping the post servos... I guess in the grand scheme of things that's not bad overall. But losing a servo sucks.

It reminds me when HV servos 1st hit the shelves. I went out and bought 4 JR hv servos for my cars. They were the biggest bling I had ever added but they were hit and miss. I had 2 fail within a month and then JR went dumb on the warranty saying that I ran too much current through them. How can you do that to a HV servo? Bottom line is all servos will fail some just sooner than others.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
Hobbico CS-170, same exact servo as the hitec 7955 which are pretty much indestructible.

tried the whole savox deal, 3 out 3 failed with in 4-5 races each. well the third one just wouldnt center and chattered back and forth, became hard to drive when wheels are turning back and forth on its on.
If there is any truth to the Hobbico being the same as the Hitec 7955 pull the trigger. I beat the hell out of mine, and it is indestructible. Local pro here lost 2 Savox servos in 2 nights this week. I'm not saying they won't work for you, but I rarely here about a 7955 failing.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've killed four Savox's in the past year, three were at steering, one throttle. I am going to give the 2270 a try. Hear good things.

Originally Posted by JoePit
If there is any truth to the Hobbico being the same as the Hitec 7955 pull the trigger.
Ya, the CS-170 is rebranded 7955. Unfortunately it only has a one year warranty, through Hobbico opposed to Hitec's two year. Now for the same price you can buy the 7954, which is identical to the 7955 (except it's steel gears instead of titanium gears), and get the two year Hitec warranty.

-------

UPDATE: The 7955 has different circuitry AND motor than the 5955 (Cs-170). The 5955 was not hi-res or had the G2 circuitry like the 7955.

The 7954 has a different gear set, different motor, and different circuitry than 7955.

Last edited by Rsickles; 06-12-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Updated to prevent misinformation in future
Old 06-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You know I started doing more reading and now I'm thinking of just dropping the bills on the KO PROPO 30101 and 30100. I like the fact they are using Japanese aluminum that is 30% lighter and %20 stronger then steel.
I have a friend here who only used HiTec 7955 also and he swears by them. I don't like the fact they are only 6v though and their speed specs are a little slow.

Which Savox's are you guys killing through. The lower end models or their high end models like the 2270 and 2274.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You know I started doing more reading and now I'm thinking of just dropping the bills on the KO PROPO 30101 and 30100. I like the fact they are using Japanese aluminum that is 30% lighter and %20 stronger then steel.
I have a friend here who only used HiTec 7955 also and he swears by them. I don't like the fact they are only 6v though and their speed specs are a little slow.

Which Savox's are you guys killing through. The lower end models or their high end models like the 2270 and 2274.
The 7955 is 100% high voltage compatible. That is why Hitec made the 7954 (same motor, same mofset amp, etc) - it is the same thing, just has a different sticker and steel gears instead of ti gears.

I have killed the Savox 1256 (run at 6v), 1257 (run at 6v), two 1267's (unregulated lipo). That is why I am going to try the brushless stuff and see how it works. I run KO radio and would love to switch to their servos, but having multiple vehicles, that is some serious coin to drop all at once.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I'm going to say exactly what I said in the other servo thread... (No offense intended)

If you blew out three servos, you are doing something wrong. Period. You shouldn't even be going through 3 cheapo HobbyKing/Turnigy servos in two weeks time.

And, if you're wrecking that much, how can you blame the equipment?

On a whim, I'll say you probably have the stiff servo saver spring on your Serpent, and you've probably got it locked solid or very close to, especially considering you stripped out gears of all things..

Last edited by BrakeTurnAccelerate; 06-10-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RA9JAS
I have been in this hobby for only about six months, buying both my Losi 8ight's used(one 1.0, one 2.0). I have started to have servo issues. What is a pretty good servo to use with a cap of $90(hopefully less)? Also, Can you have the same kind of servo on steering and throttle, or does it matter. I have 2 futaba 3305 I just bought new before asking about this. Please give me some advice. Another thing, can these servos be repaired after they stop, or is it worth the time or money?
Don't know if this has been said yet or not b/c I didn't read the thread, but go with a Hitec 7955 from Troybuiltmodels.com They're a big store in the airplane world and sell the 7955 for $89.99 Run it on straight lipo and enjoy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.