Sportsmanship or stupid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sportsmanship or stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Im not angry.LOL i am just asking to look at this as a beginners level,everyone is talking like they race only pro level. Like i sad before everyone is really saying the same thing to a point and is repeating it in their own way.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

also if i just keep letting everyone go, how will i get better at racing against someone if all i do is just pull over for you
Old 08-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackBart
Im not angry.LOL i am just asking to look at this as a beginners level,everyone is talking like they race only pro level. Like i sad before everyone is really saying the same thing to a point and is repeating it in their own way.
I agree with that.

I have been to some larger regional event....but mostly I race locally. I travel alot with my work so I race out of town when I can.

I will say this.....someone earlier had mentioned that each track seems to have it's own level of hacking and clean driving.....or something like that.
Our race last Sat. seemed to fit in with what he was saying I think. 98% of the entries on Sat. had never even seen that track before....and it was the most technical and demanding(skill wise) that is in our series. That may have had something to do with all the rough driving.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

also if i just keep letting everyone go, how will i get better at racing against someone if all i do is just pull over for you

I agree with letting them go....and not letting them go. Depends on the situation.

In the vid I posted earlier....I made the choice to let Alan go. Not because he's Alan Burton...but for other reasons.

About 3 laps earlier I heard the RD call out the running order....he calls the D.name/position/number of laps turned starting with 1st place. Last time I heard....I was in 3rd...2 or 3 laps down from 2nd and 1 lap up on 4th. I also knew he was racing for 1st. So when I saw him cross the pipe and I passed him....I knew he would be coming back up on me REALLY fast. I tried to move just before he punted me.. but knew he didn't do it on purpose. He apologized as he done it. I wasn't going to loose a spot by stopping for him so I let him get back to his battle. I also done this for the 2nd place driver(at the time ).
Old 08-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Suspended

I've never seen anyone become a better driver by pushing harder than their skill allows them to drive and ultimately all they do is make a worse error, or get punted by the faster driver they're blocking, when it makes more sense to pull over and --- just possibly --- learn something that might make them better by following a more skilled driver that drives better lines.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Right now your holding your line, when someone (a good driver) passes you follow them and try to learn their line. This is what will help you get better. Learning lines and driving styles. This should hold true for novice and mid intermediate skilled drivers.

A good way is to find someone a little better then you so you can try to keep up and learn their line. To "move over"s point if they are much more skilled then you don't push it or you will find yourself over driving the car and your skills.

When your skill advances and you find yourself somewhere around getting in to the top 10 of usually the intermediate class at most clubs you become skilled enough to make a small adjustment to your line and letting the fast guy take the prefered line and pass by cleanly. You should not be pulling over like the example race in the video. Thats a different level of racing. Again find the next level racer and follow them and improve your line. There is a reason why they are lapping you... they are driving smarter, smoother, cleaner which all equals... faster.

The video showed the final minutes of pro style racing and clearly shows how pro drivers made room. You should NOT pull off the track at your level. It will be some time before you get there, but when you get there you will know what to do.

EDIT: One more thing... if a driver is really novice then all they are doing is learning how to stay on the track, land jumps, and navigate a line. Following drivers lines or holding a lines is totally out of the picture for them.

Keep on racing!

-Don

Last edited by Don Duct; 08-05-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Merciless
F1 last race the leaders lapped up to 12th place. In doing so they lap cars battling for position. some spaced @ under 2s when the leaders caught them. still moved !!

I don't believe in our RC racing, It's necessary for back markers to leap out the way lose vast amounts of time. Simiply as I said earilier a few times. Within a reasonable amount of time they ensure the fast guys can get through untroubled.

YOU DONT LOSE TIME, AS THE BUGGY INFRONT SHOULD DO THE SAME !!

IT seems so easy.......

Luckily if you don't do it over here any anything other than a club meet the RD will tell ya too. So people catch on quick.

I'm completely un interested now in this thread now, as the argument seems to have lost any meaning to me.

I believe im right and I'm sure so does David. So we'll just have to disagree, I can handle that

Rod
I can definately disagree with someone, and keep it that way, without doubt in my mind that we learned something. :P

Off-subject, I am not mad in ANY of these posts, just trying to get through to people.

I believe that everyone understands the solo run, to move aside and follow the leader(s). For beginners, stick with what Don is saying, and follow people a little faster than you, and you will catch on quickly as stated.

Now if 2 beginners are racing for position, if you are one of those Begins, don't get out of the way, keep racing the guy you are racing with, let the leader find their own way around. They are talented enough to be leading, they should have enough skill to find a way to get around it all. It's what makes racing tighter and more exciting for everyone involved, especially if your new to it, and makes you keep going back to the track, week after week. Getting out of the way not making anything exciting is just boring, to both the drivers and the spectators.

Remember to get out of the way if racing solo! :P (That was for merci)
Old 08-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skeller
Even though I knew it would probably happen...I really didn't intend for some people to get angry over the discussion here. I believe that the newbie may could read through this and possibly gain some insight to racing...and apply it if he/she so chooses.

Once again...I want to thank everyone for their opinions and experiences that you've posted here. This is a great discussion....I hit a home run with this one. j/k
Thanks for the great topic
Old 08-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

For the first time that I can think of.....everyone agrees on 1 thing on an Rctech thread.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skeller
For the first time that I can think of.....everyone agrees on 1 thing on an Rctech thread.
Haha, Like one big happy family
Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

I'm glad we've been able to keep it semi civil....I was afraid it would get waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of hand and be deleted.

I like to race clean....and be raced clean. It doesn't always happen that way...but that's what I'm after.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Don Duct
When your skill advances and you find yourself somewhere around getting in to the top 10 of usually the intermediate class at most clubs you become skilled enough to make a small adjustment to your line and letting the fast guy take the prefered line and pass by cleanly. You should not be pulling over like the example race in the video. Thats a different level of racing. Again find the next level racer and follow them and improve your line. There is a reason why they are lapping you... they are driving smarter, smoother, cleaner which all equals... faster.

If your talking about the clip I posted....me stopping completely was a 1 time deal. I knew I wouldn't loose a position and the leaders could go by.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well here's an aspect not mentioned.
The other night we had a low head count and I had to run with the fast puppies.

It was a fun night with some great racing but the fun part was trying to hold a tight line and keep the fast guys from passing. It was a loud night and a lot of encouraging cheering to hold them off and make him earn the pass.

You can see the fast line following for about 2 turns then hes a ghost.

But try to hold a guy off for a few turns and you will see your weak points.
When a fast guys passes on the out side in the fluff you know hes good. But when he cant get by other than for you to go wide he needs some more practice.

People love to see this kind of stuff when just watching the race.
Its great pressure for practice racing on club nights.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Well here's an aspect not mentioned.
The other night we had a low head count and I had to run with the fast puppies.

It was a fun night with some great racing but the fun part was trying to hold a tight line and keep the fast guys from passing. It was a loud night and a lot of encouraging cheering to hold them off and make him earn the pass.

You can see the fast line following for about 2 turns then hes a ghost.

But try to hold a guy off for a few turns and you will see your weak points.
When a fast guys passes on the out side in the fluff you know hes good. But when he cant get by other than for you to go wide he needs some more practice.

People love to see this kind of stuff when just watching the race.
Its great pressure for practice racing on club nights.
Haha.. That does sound like fun. Spectators, me being one with many types of racing, love seeing things like that happen.

Your point of trying to hold them off seeing your weak points makes a lot of sense, and I feel the same way. Nice point
Old 08-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David Day
Haha.. That does sound like fun. Spectators, me being one with many types of racing, love seeing things like that happen.

Your point of trying to hold them off seeing your weak points makes a lot of sense, and I feel the same way. Nice point
For myself when I'm leading I can see how close they can get with out hitting me and force the mistake. When I would start to open the door I would shut it real quick with some braking and hold them off. But Rusty just powers wide and goes around. Freaking faster than a shadow driver.

But its good practice to race and hold of the opponent. It all depends of coarse some times there's things on the line and respect has to be there.

Also I can charge a turn and catch a faster racer but it never pays off. I either hit them or I over shoot the turn. The pros roll up more than charge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.