Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a new buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Pretty much what I thought. These new buggies have so many tuning options it can almost be overwhelming, especially for a newer racer.

I guess persistence pays in a setup.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I am very much looking forward to the xray 808 2011 model
Old 03-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So did the OP make a decision??
Old 03-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TX_Punisher
So did the OP make a decision??
not sure who u r refering to. if it is i than no i have not yet made a decision, still doing more research.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by porkchop
serpent car has the most traction form the rear but still has monsters amounts of steering
Old 03-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Adept

i was lucky to start racing off road a few years ago and because of my situation i happened to be able to gt hold of a few buggys to drive at cost over a 18 month period and i had some pretty good drivers helping me set up my cars.

my problem was i was spoilt for choice and could not decided on what i wonted so i was always changing so hre is my view and my top list

1. mugen- always a very stable car and once set up ok very consistant,however it just seemed a ver safe car not on the edge you could not push it to its limits so as much as i reckon this would be the car to get for consistancy in my view its not a tq car in the hands of a non pro drivrer would always seem to be missing the x factor to say

2. rc8 team car- id have to say this was my favourite it was on the edge all the time very fast car and riped some killer lap times however it was not a consistant car you could not go fast and stable so to do well you need to be on your game 100 % the other issue was breakages and with out the big bore shocks you had to take the jumps real easy but it was a very controlale car in the air very twitchy and oresise on the ground on smooth tracks but as soon as it gets rutty its all over the show.'

.3 nanda swift- very much like the mugen in all ways but parts were cheep and broke easy i liked it very much but the parts were a issue i loved that car.

4. D8- very nice car to drive but brittle i believe now they have sorted there reliability issues out with parts out but its a cheep car that handle well turns great its a good alround car but parts need repacing heaps.

5. 808-what can i say bloody good piec of kit it needs more steering better sealin of the diffs and fix that dam pinion bearing design very strong and well sorted car.

6. Losi- well i liked this car also but i just could not get it consistant it went good then crap or crap then good it just was not me i liked the build and i never broke a thing on it but i was always changing diff oild to try and ge a handle on things

So you see there is no car that is perfect no way it can happen you have to comprimise i know have worked ou thow to drive around dramas not fix them i hope this helps
Old 03-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aussies1129
I am very much looking forward to the xray 808 2011 model
once they fix there steering it will be a amesome car
Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I switched from the Losi 8 2.0 to the Xray 808 '10 Spec. I have about a gallon through the 808 and love it. Why?

Stability: This thing is planted. As a matter of fact, I've had to change my driving style to account for the lack of "rear slide" in the 808 as opposed to what I experienced w/ the 8 2.0. I actually spent this past weekend trying to get the rear to break out a bit, but was unsuccessful.

Durability: I have neither broken or changed any parts and experienced some pretty sweet wrecks. All the moving parts are still "tight" after the first gallon. Losi showed signs of wear and not as "tight" after its first gallon, in addition to a broken shock end and front A-arm.

Jumping/Handling: Sails through the air and is amazing through the turns. Again, I have to get used to driving the car from the front as opposed to having the rear play such a factor.

I have too many good things to say about the 808. My local track has a ton of 8 2.0's and they are amazing, but I definitely don't regret making the switch.

Thinking about some of the other cars at my track, there are a bunch of Mugen's and those guys are fast! Of course, they are the local pro's, so as Token said, I think they could drive anything and wheel it - due to prep and setup. There WAS a Durango, but it didn't compliment the owners driving style so we didn't see it again.

These are the opinions from a novice driver so take them for what they're worth - an opinion.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by 305M3
I switched from the Losi 8 2.0 to the Xray 808 '10 Spec. I have about a gallon through the 808 and love it. Why?

Stability: This thing is planted. As a matter of fact, I've had to change my driving style to account for the lack of "rear slide" in the 808 as opposed to what I experienced w/ the 8 2.0. I actually spent this past weekend trying to get the rear to break out a bit, but was unsuccessful.

Durability: I have neither broken or changed any parts and experienced some pretty sweet wrecks. All the moving parts are still "tight" after the first gallon. Losi showed signs of wear and not as "tight" after its first gallon, in addition to a broken shock end and front A-arm.

Jumping/Handling: Sails through the air and is amazing through the turns. Again, I have to get used to driving the car from the front as opposed to having the rear play such a factor.

I have too many good things to say about the 808. My local track has a ton of 8 2.0's and they are amazing, but I definitely don't regret making the switch.

Thinking about some of the other cars at my track, there are a bunch of Mugen's and those guys are fast! Of course, they are the local pro's, so as Token said, I think they could drive anything and wheel it - due to prep and setup. There WAS a Durango, but it didn't compliment the owners driving style so we didn't see it again.

These are the opinions from a novice driver so take them for what they're worth - an opinion.

thats, one other reason why i want to go with a diffrent brand of "truggy" and maybe buggy i have a eight-t 1.0 and a eight- 1.0 b and i get tried of how quickly they wear on the drivetrain .

the supension slop and steering doesnt bother me to much just the drivetrain.

and yes the eight buggys are tail happy if your not smooth on the throttle lol.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I've never raced nitro before. Only electric. I've bashed nitro so I have a slight inkling of motor tuning etc.. I also have a lot of supportive guys helping me along the way so I'm not worried about that. I'm buying a 3 race old TRF801X for a GREAT price with 3 motors and a lot of spares. After I run for a little while and if I like 1/8 scale I'm without a doubt going to pick up a new kit and motor, this is just to get me started.

I've heard some things (positive) about it so far, just wanted to get some more perspective. Anybody run/drive the Tamiya?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
thats, one other reason why i want to go with a diffrent brand of "truggy" and maybe buggy i have a eight-t 1.0 and a eight- 1.0 b and i get tried of how quickly they wear on the drivetrain .

the supension slop and steering doesnt bother me to much just the drivetrain.

and yes the eight buggys are tail happy if your not smooth on the throttle lol.
I'll admit I'm not the "smoothest" with the throttle; however, I'm trying. haha.

The nice part about having the same trug/bug is parts, they are 90% interchangeable. But, I was up for a change.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by 305M3
I'll admit I'm not the "smoothest" with the throttle; however, I'm trying. haha.

The nice part about having the same trug/bug is parts, they are 90% interchangeable. But, I was up for a change.

true, i think in my opinion losi is better on smooth tracks compared to rough tracks like my when i race outdoor dued to how light their buggys and truggys are which can be a good thing or a bad thing on a blown out track.

ive, raced on a smooth track before it was my local track that closed down a while ago and losi 1/8 seem to drive better on a smooth track i think
Old 03-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Losi's are FAR from being the lightest 1/8 available.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Integra
Losi's are FAR from being the lightest 1/8 available.

i dint say it was the lightest 1/8 available .
Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man

ive, raced on a smooth track before it was my local track that closed down a while ago and losi 1/8 seem to drive better on a smooth track i think
I concur. My private track gets very blown out. When i had the CE "for comparision since thats were you plan to go" it liked to buck around and when i drove my new 8t 2.0 on it i couldnt believe the difference. it handled the rough like butter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.