Search
Like Tree7Likes

Hot Bodies TCXX

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
makes you wonder why the manufacturers went away from this kind of setup - or maybe schumacher had the right idea all those years ago

hmmm... guess I'm going to have to take some time and do it to mine I'm guessing 4* camber c-hubs? and L-hub on the R-rear?

Yes, front end parts on the rear, you want the 4* c hubs to stay on the correct side so they lean back like the fronts.
I screwed long ball studs into the bottom side of bulkheads in the forward hole, no shims. I didn't want to drill the chassis.
You can change the action of the rear steer depending on what hole you mount the links and how low you shim them in the steering knuckles.
(Photo on xray site explains)
ALSO I drilled and tapped the arms so I can mount the shocks out where they need to be

I set the wheels up to be square with the arms, using only the toe blocks to adjust toe.

The car really feels different to drive...It feels like the rear end will snap around but it doesn't. It's actually more like throwing a lasso at the apex and swinging around.

Last edited by Chrisgt2; 01-02-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Oh btw, I went to the NORCAR Hangover Dash yesterday.

VTA TQ & Win
USGT TQ & Win
17.5TC TQ & Win

��
Old 01-03-2015, 01:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Chrisgt2
Real proven potential on the track as well.

Nice that it works for you. Have you put it on setup station? If so, what toe angle differences do you get? I'm getting 3º when fully compressed (0mm ride height), 1º before wheels leaves the ground, about 1.8º at normal ride height.
And about c-hubs, is there a noticable difference regarding sides? I have put L c-hub on R rear, R c-hub on L rear, it's like "X" front/rear.

Last edited by EvaldasD; 01-03-2015 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:15 AM
Tech Addict

So you are gaining toe as the suspension loads? That's not good if so. From the way your links are mounted in the chassis, it looks like the case.

The inner link needs to be higher than the outer to reduce toe when the car loads in the corner.

As for the c hubs, you wouldn't want them leaning forward, the Awesomatix car runs 4* caster in their rear steer

I haven't had mine on a setup station.

However my lap times instantly dropped .5 sec on a 9-10 sec track.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:46 AM
Tech Rookie

So you are gaining toe as the suspension loads? That's not good if so. From the way your links are mounted in the chassis, it looks like the case.

The inner link needs to be higher than the outer to reduce toe when the car loads in the corner.

As for the c hubs, you wouldn't want them leaning forward, the Awesomatix car runs 4* caster in their rear steer

I haven't had mine on a setup station.

However my lap times instantly dropped .5 sec on a 9-10 sec track.
My predictions were wrong then. Though I saw some pictures of Awesomatix car that inner link was lower than outer. Shouldn't the car become twitchy on acceleration when rear toe reduces at that moment? In modified I suffer alot from that behavior
Old 01-03-2015, 05:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EvaldasD
My predictions were wrong then. Though I saw some pictures of Awesomatix car that inner link was lower than outer. Shouldn't the car become twitchy on acceleration when rear toe reduces at that moment? In modified I suffer alot from that behavior

My links are nearly level at ride height, just a slight angle. it's when the suspension loads that the angle pushes the wheel out at the outer wheel.

It does feel a little sketchy accelerating out of the corner but it was easy to adapt to. I don't run much modified, but you would run more rear toe. I'm at 2*, so I actually have toe out in the corner at the outer wheel.
Running less front droop would help keep the car more stable for you?

Here is what I found on the xray site.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:08 AM
Tech Rookie

My links are nearly level at ride height, just a slight angle. it's when the suspension loads that the angle pushes the wheel out at the outer wheel.

It does feel a little sketchy accelerating out of the corner but it was easy to adapt to. I don't run much modified, but you would run more rear toe. I'm at 2*, so I actually have toe out in the corner at the outer wheel.

Thank you for info, I will try that at the track soon.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Of course the picture addressed only what happens to TOE of the right wheel as a car turns left. With the inner link higher than the outer link,(on both sides of the car) the left rear tire gains toe with chassis roll in a left turn (or in words both rear wheels will steer to the outside of the turn - causing rear steer). We did this with oval pan cars equipped with independent rear pods and some even figured a way to do it with T bar cars. Works well but it becomes very critical to controlling the roll of the car to keep it from getting too free in the rear. A little bit of rear steer goes a long way.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Last night I tried out that "active toe" thing on track. I tried both rear steer effects (outer link higher and inner link higher). It was really nice to see that it gives something new, though the track I was at was quite small, slow. Both steer effects are good and drivable, it depends on what you need from your car. With outer link higher car was very calm and predictable, super smooth, not too much steering. Inner link higher - opposite, loads of mid corner steering, twitchy at the exits so smooth throttle control should be in mind.
Next weekend I will be giving another shot, this time in modified at huge carpet track.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EvaldasD
Last night I tried out that "active toe" thing on track. I tried both rear steer effects (outer link higher and inner link higher). It was really nice to see that it gives something new, though the track I was at was quite small, slow. Both steer effects are good and drivable, it depends on what you need from your car. With outer link higher car was very calm and predictable, super smooth, not too much steering. Inner link higher - opposite, loads of mid corner steering, twitchy at the exits so smooth throttle control should be in mind.
Next weekend I will be giving another shot, this time in modified at huge carpet track.

Yes, I found that once I got used to the false feeling that the car was spinning out and realized that I could drive it hard into the corner I really killed some hot laps.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:06 PM
LKF
Tech Apprentice

great to see you in developing active toe systems for tcxx

here some facts and summary about tcxx update kit / tcxx 2014 kit and a german report about these kit.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LKF
great to see you in developing active toe systems for tcxx

here some facts and summary about tcxx update kit / tcxx 2014 kit and a german report about these kit.
that's a very detailed article with all the measuring done. I am glad I purchased the update packs on my 2 cars.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Tech Addict

I am going to list one of my TCXX's for sale tonight! Just a heads up
Old 03-17-2015, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Oh btw, I went to the NORCAR Hangover Dash yesterday.

VTA TQ & Win
USGT TQ & Win
17.5TC TQ & Win

��
What motor did you run in the vta and usgt?
Old 03-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bigb11
What motor did you run in the vta and usgt?
Novak Boss in VTA

Team Scream 21.5 in USGT

Team Scream 17.5 in 17.5 (obviously)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.