Old 05-13-2003, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Old 05-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Hope HPI has improved the materials for today's nitro racing standards. If it could have material like whats on the Proceed, I think I'll be on heaven.

I've already gone accustomed to my Kyosho/Mugen cars which have excellent durable and rigid parts. And I won't have anything less.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

Ofna Ld3? American?
What about Hong Nor LD3? American?
Old 05-13-2003, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Talking HEHEHEH

The battery pack looks to be mounted beneath the fuel tank, similar to the mugens.
The whole car looks similar to the Mugen MTX-3!!

Hope the Mugen guys dont get up-set if they dont have the different car on the track....oopss, everone has a Mugen!!
Old 05-13-2003, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

punisher your avatar is off the chain!!!
Old 05-13-2003, 06:49 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: HEHEHEH

Originally posted by PUNISHER
The whole car looks similar to the Mugen MTX-3!!

Hope the Mugen guys dont get up-set if they dont have the different car on the track....oopss, everone has a Mugen!!
I'd have to disagree with it looking like the Mugen...Only thing that "may" be similar is the lay down steering servo and rear hubs. If anything it looks similar to the new Trinity G4 config which seems to be another nice design.

-Puma
Old 05-13-2003, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: HEHEHEH

Originally posted by puma1824
I'd have to disagree with it looking like the Mugen...Only thing that "may" be similar is the lay down stearing servo. If anything it looks similar to the new Trinity G4 config which seems to be another nice design.

-Puma
Puma,I can understand you'd like to try a belt car....

pretty soon you'll have the HPI and not have to send halfway around the world for mugen hop ups(like sway bar mounts)..See?..I'm watching everywhere..Esp teh mugen forum where guys are putting more money into those cars that I had in my Rs4's....

Maybe the tc3 needs "the fix"(and thats only if you hit boards),but owning a mugen means your wallet will need fixing..
Old 05-13-2003, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Re: haya

Originally posted by lost man
So if i read you correctly you say that serpent borrowed the 2speed idea from hpi? hmm interesting! did they also borrow the shock idea from hpi as well? ....o well it doesnt really matter.

lost man I never said anything about the 2 spd. and I dont know if you are familiar with the clutch serpent had before the new cars that just came out they had a small flanged bearing in it and the bearings would always wear out very fast. and also to adjust the endplay of the bell you had to take everything off the motor and shim it .what a pain that was and the gears and the bell would have alot of wobble in it even when it was set right. now onto the proceed clutch it has 2 larger bearings in it and the endplay is adjusted with shims that can be added to the clutch nut on the end. and the bell is very sturdy and durable.hmmm and if you noticed that the new serpents are very similar to the proceeds or pretty much the same hmmm weird and interesting huh oh and the shocks are pretty much there own design am not sure if serpent changed theirs on the new cars. if they havent they should
Old 05-13-2003, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: HEHEHEH

Originally posted by fastharry
Puma,I can understand you'd like to try a belt car....

pretty soon you'll have the HPI and not have to send halfway around the world for mugen hop ups(like sway bar mounts)..See?..I'm watching everywhere..Esp teh mugen forum where guys are putting more money into those cars that I had in my Rs4's....

Maybe the tc3 needs "the fix"(and thats only if you hit boards),but owning a mugen means your wallet will need fixing..
hehe, you saw the sway bar mounts question. That's one area I can see myself breaking eventually. As far as hop-ups or replacements, so far I did spend a total of $102.00 shipped from Hong Kong to MD, USA (arrived in 3 days ). Not too bad compared to the several hundreds spent on the RS4 3. Of course starting price was different. I have to add all the numbers so I can determine which one of the cars (NTC3, RS4-3, MTX3) will end up costing the most.

I know my cost for my NTC3 and the Mugen are kinda close in cost. I think the NTC3 is roughly about $100.00 less so far - estimated. Once the "fix" was installed no more diff case purchases

Again my experience with this MTX3 will determine my future spending habits of whether or not to deal with belts or stay with the shaft. If I see myself breaking belts often I may have to pass on the new R40 and/or G40.

How about you? I know you have had experience with many cars and still support our NTC3...going to try either the R40 or G40? Worried about going back to belts?

Later,
Puma
Old 05-13-2003, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: HEHEHEH

Originally posted by puma1824
hehe, you saw the sway bar mounts question. That's one area I can see myself breaking eventually. As far as hop-ups or replacements, so far I did spend a total of $102.00 shipped from Hong Kong to MD, USA (arrived in 3 days ). Not too bad compared to the several hundreds spent on the RS4 3. Of course starting price was different. I have to add all the numbers so I can determine which one of the cars (NTC3, RS4-3, MTX3) will end up costing the most.

I know my cost for my NTC3 and the Mugen are kinda close in cost. I think the NTC3 is roughly about $100.00 less so far - estimated. Once the "fix" was installed no more diff case purchases

Again my experience with this MTX3 will determine my future spending habits of whether or not to deal with belts or stay with the shaft. If I see myself breaking belts often I may have to pass on the new R40 and/or G40.

How about you? I know you have had experience with many cars and still support our NTC3...going to try either the R40 or G40? Worried about going back to belts?

Later,
Puma

I'm going to get the R40....not because of any issue with teh tc3 OR shaft drive in general..in fact,as I've stated before,I enjoy driving a shaft drive car.....

I'll be getting the R40 because I feel I owe that to HPI..no one supported them more than me...and no one was more vocal about their need for a Pro style car.....and no one busted their stones more than me..

they said they'd come out with a car,and I told them I'd biuld it,race it,and support it....racing,forums,and otherwise...

so thats what I'm going to do....

of course,the car has to perform well..but there's no doubt in my mind it will.....
Old 05-13-2003, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

lost man I never said anything about the 2 spd. and I dont know if you are familiar with the clutch serpent had before the new cars that just came out they had a small flanged bearing in it and the bearings would always wear out very fast. and also to adjust the endplay of the bell you had to take everything off the motor and shim it .what a pain that was and the gears and the bell would have alot of wobble in it even when it was set right. now onto the proceed clutch it has 2 larger bearings in it and the endplay is adjusted with shims that can be added to the clutch nut on the end. and the bell is very sturdy and durable.hmmm and if you noticed that the new serpents are very similar to the proceeds or pretty much the same hmmm weird and interesting huh oh and the shocks are pretty much there own design am not sure if serpent changed theirs on the new cars. if they havent they should
Well, you have a point about using a lager bearing in the new Serpent centax. I don’t know why they really changed to the larger bearing....maybe because of durability for a .21 motor on the Vector? On the Impulse (.12 motor) there wasn’t a problem. To say the got the idea from HPI its really fair......its only a up-grade for durably for a .21 motor and now more powerful .12's!!

BTW- From reading this it sounds like you are a 1/8scaler......you are compare apples to oranges when you are talking about HPI's durability on the Proceed and their Touring Cars!!

Last edited by PUNISHER; 05-13-2003 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Re: haya

Originally posted by whynot
its gonna be ok old man..i wasnt trying to be an a$$,and i wasnt trying to be sarcastic. thanks for the knowledge bomb.Hey which came out first the proceed or the serpent impulse.hmmm wierd uhhh yea.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:14 PM
Tech Adept

well the hpi is too voneRRish, i mean atleast the LD3 looked different. all i see is a vonerr, big deal, theres about 3 others like it, nothing special

Thats funny.....*I still win over mugens, kyosho, ofna's and even ntc3 rtr with my 97 model hpi rs4 rtr modified
that really means nothing, some people just cant drive for crap...im probably one of them but that doesnt say quality of the car

look at the ofna MBXR2, ive heard of people murdering infernos and Mugens with it

but is it a good buggy? not on its life
Old 05-13-2003, 11:03 PM
Tech Adept

wow. I think the ld3 looks more like the tc3 then the hpi r40 does to the vonerr. the ld3 has so much in common with the tc3. I don't think you should knock the hpi car without seeing it in person and running it. Only thing I can see that looks like the vonerr is the gas tank, handle, and rear stiffener(infront of the motor).
Old 05-14-2003, 01:33 AM
Tech Master

Default LOOKS LIKE THAT, LOOKS LIKE THIS, YADA YADA YADA!!!!!

They look like each other..............

SO WHAT!!!

Belt drive cars will almost alway look like other belt driven cars. The same goes for shaft driven cars.

The thing that is the most important(but most people dont notice!) is the suspension geometry and how well it works with the chassis overall. I admit I don't know all the differences in geometries between two different cars just by looking at them but thats what makes them different. Two different cars with the exact same springs, oil, ride height, etc. will have very different handling characteristics.

The "Copying" subject has been beaten to death. Enough already!!

IMHO, I like the design ideas on the R-40 namely the top-loading shafts and diffs.

BTW Fastharry,
Where did you hear that us Mugen owners have a hard time getting parts and need to go halfway around the world to get hop-ups?
Four of the six hobbyshops here on Oahu, Hawaii carry Mugen parts and can obtain them easily. Those same shops also carry an abundance of AE, HPI, Kyosho, Losi parts too. We are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean for Gods sake so it can't be that hard! The only reason(I can think of) a hobbyshop can't get parts is because of bad credit with the distributor.
As for hop-ups, If you WANT, I repeat WANT them you can get them from JustRC, RDLogics, Speedtech RC or have your LHS get them from Racers Edge, RC Imports, Trinity(Yikes!!), etc..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.