Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo >

Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo

Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo

Old 07-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportpak
Cool, so I'll keep buying IB cells every month to maintain that slight advantage that only matters to top 3% national level drivers and professional bench racers.

I like knowing what I have, every run, every cycle, every 100th cycle. Stay off the boards two less times a run and you more then made up for that graph.
In different words, I believe Trakpower used a nonrepresntive Nimh discharge curve to compare to their products discharge curve. If I was thinking of switching to Lipo and if I was a racer I would like to see such a comparison. Looking at that graph and knowing what my Nimh curves look like then I would be wondering how Trakpower made that mistake.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jag88
In different words, I believe Trakpower used a nonrepresntive Nimh discharge curve to compare to their products discharge curve. If I was thinking of switching to Lipo and if I was a racer I would like to see such a comparison. Looking at that graph and knowing what my Nimh curves look like then I would be wondering how Trakpower made that mistake.
i suppose there catering towards the newbies and bashers, but anyone who is serious about racing would know that the graph trakpower gives is deceptive.

no self respecting battery matcher would sell IB's with a discharge curve like that
Old 07-12-2007, 05:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GymBeam
i suppose there catering towards the newbies and bashers, but anyone who is serious about racing would know that the graph trakpower gives is deceptive.

no self respecting battery matcher would sell IB's with a discharge curve like that
Again, you can't use discharge curves from a low 20 amp discharge rate to compare lipos to nimh. Lipos do not respond to constant current in a favorable way. When was the last time you drove your car at a constant 20 amp rate for the life of the battery?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:22 AM
Tech Regular

Again, you can't use discharge curves from a low 20 amp discharge rate to compare lipos to nimh
and why not? because it doesnt reflect well on lipos? because the people who sell lipos say you can't?

Last edited by GymBeam; 07-12-2007 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

and why not? because it doesnt reflect well on lipos? because the people who sell lipos say you can't?
Mainly because it doesn't reflect how that battery will operate in a real world environment. We don't race our cars at a low constant current, why do we expect our batteries to perform perfectly at unrealistic conditions? You are taking a test that gives dependable information from one type of battery and applying it to something new and expecting accurate results. And you can continue to insist otherwise as it seems your mind is made up anyway. The people who are using these batteries will continue to be happy without your approval of them.

And please, the lipo manufacturers are not saying you can't use them and have admitted they don't look as good at a 20A discharge. This has been discussed many times in many threads here. It's not some big conspiracy to convince people to overlook that info.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

This is the quote I was looking for:

Originally Posted by linger
It's really not a relevant test to compare Lipo vs Nimh voltage. The average voltage is just an average voltage at a single discharge rate. In reality, a 2 cell Lipo has a lower nominal voltage but also a much lower DC Internal resistance than a 6 cell Nimh.
In RC applications, that means it you use a Lipo to race a low current mabuchi class, the voltage of a Nimh will far outclass a Lipo. In modified, the higher current drain puts the clear advantage to Lipo. A lipo will maintain most of its voltage under 40, 50, 60, 70, 80...hell, a 20C kokam 3200 can do 128 amps for a few seconds and stay above 6V.
This is from the "Viewing LiPo vs NiMH- Different perspective" thread from a few months ago and explains it far better than I can.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

My jackass sense is tingling.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Whatever your argument, I run them, in race conditions, every week in TC and 2wd buggy. I love them and don't feel I'm at any disadvantage. If anything, I feel that I have an advantage. I'm sure some other dudes on here will say the same thing. What is gonna carry more weight? A graph nobody believes is fair or accurate, or people that actually have experience with them under real conditions? REAL conditions.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

actually lots of people say with these orions u have to gear up a couple of teeth pinion becaseu they feel flat otherwise
Old 07-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Tech Legend

actually lots of people say with these orions u have to gear up a couple of teeth pinion becaseu they feel flat otherwise
Don`t believe that ...
Old 07-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)
Default lipo

hi everyone ive got 1 3200 orion and i run it in practice and 3 heats and a main and all i do is run it bring it in and charge it for next race and my lap times are very close if not better at the end and im very comp with everyone else [finishing in top 5 weekly] hope this helps
Old 07-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Geez with all this knowledge you are in possession of, you still bought 2??? Tell you what, yours are still new since it sounds like you've only bench raced them with your discharger. I'll take them off your hands at a decent price so you can get back to buying new packs every coupla months.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

i've sold one off already

like i said newbies and bashers will love these. newbies because most of them think 1800mah stick packs are the bomb.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

i've sold one off already

like i said newbies and bashers will love these. newbies because most of them think 1800mah stick packs are the bomb.
Nice, you took awhile to start the insults but I knew you had it in you. Now I know whether it's worth continuing discussing this with you. Syndrome has a much better sensor than I do apparently.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kuzo
Nice, you took awhile to start the insults but I knew you had it in you. Now I know whether it's worth continuing discussing this with you. Syndrome has a much better sensor than I do apparently.
and where exactly did i insult you?

dont worry i stated my opinion.

if your a serious racer dont bother with these lipos, there about just as good as a good pack of gp3300's, but no way compare to the current batch of 4200Wc cells.

the end.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.