Search

ROAR to 4 cell....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
G BoB ....
You just seem like you think its Ok for experience racer`s in the stock class`s to keep dominating untill no novices or begginers come back to play....
So how does it work out if I'm the only guy in the mod class at our club? Should I not race at all? It's never as simple as you might think.

Stock is to fast for the noobs, bottom line. That's part of the problem. I am 100% for coming up with classes for the newest of the new guys.

I'm for changes, I'm for leaving it (either way), I'm for whatever the majority wants. I'm not for a change that is NOT well thought out, or politically motivated in some way.

I can win mod at our club with my 19t car, why should I do all the extra work to go only 1 lap faster? The classes are simply to close. That kind of thing shouldn't happen, in my estimation.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 11-30-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For better or worse, its only a matter of time before the industry converts to Lipo or some other battery technology. NiMH has just about neared its limits... To me, the next technology that seems obvious is Lipo.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I store my stuff in a LipoSack, so I'm with you on being safe. Batteries are inherently dangerous, and should be respected regardless of their chemistry. There's a lot of misinformation about LiPo, and how spectacularly they combust. Cheaper cells are much more volatile, and prone to fires and such. Quality cells, such as those produced by Kokam are quite the opposite, and are arguably safer than NiMH. Calling all LiPo dangerous is like saying all dogs bite, or all snakes are poisonous.

The safety argument is valid, but when it's used as a blanket statement about LiPo, like the way you used it, and the way ROAR has used it, it sounds like the lazy way out, because it's wrong. If you're going to so adamantly stand by something you've said, at least make sure you fully understand it. Otherwise, you're simply a victim of misinformation and FUD, and that would be extremely unfortunate.

Originally Posted by robk
I stand by what i said, and I would love to be proven wrong over the long run.

Edit:Now that I think about it, NIMH blow up too when you overcharge them, and so did NICD. Just not so spectacularly. But getting closer to the edge got more performance in a lot of cases. I doubt that the charge methods advocated by the battery manufacturers have been toyed with to the extent that guys who get things for free tend to. If they have, why not tell us about it. It would go a long way toward convincing me this is the real deal. I just think that if you are only into lipo for the "convienience" factor, you are not trying to run the cells at the limit of durability.

In the case of spontaneous combustion, fear is good.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Stock is to fast for the noobs, bottom line. That's part of the problem. I am 100% for coming up with classes for the newest of the new guys.
It's called Tamiya Mini Coopers!! It's cheap to start in. And you only need 1 or 2 packs for the whole day!
Old 11-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Has anyone else every flown with Lipo packs ina carry on before, the airline got rather antsy with them, but they had no problem with my Nimh cells (the person at the counter said i had to carry on all batteries or they would be removed from my luggage)....Does that matter to anyone who travels, i think it is something to consider.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcracingkid
Has anyone else every flown with Lipo packs ina carry on before, the airline got rather antsy with them, but they had no problem with my Nimh cells (the person at the counter said i had to carry on all batteries or they would be removed from my luggage)....Does that matter to anyone who travels, i think it is something to consider.
They are in most cell phones, laptops and various other devices. Airlines, or the people screening, don't know much about anything.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcracingkid
Thats strange...I had to check all most 100 packs when going to Vegas and 60 packs when going to Cleveland for the Champs. I was told no carry on batteries other than cell phone, laptop, IPOD, etc. I do know that you can only carry dry type cells...No 12volt wet cells on a plane.

EA
Old 11-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Mike Quellar(sp) came by my shop today and we taked 4cell. He said that it be voted on by racers.

Very good thread............

Oh yeah I stole the saying in my sig from someone here hope you don't mind. It just killed me.lol.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joe Maxey
Oh yeah I stole the saying in my sig from someone here hope you don't mind. It just killed me.lol.
At last, my one great contribution to the R/C world is complete. You may all be at ease, for on this day, it is time for me to STFU. :-)
Old 11-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joe Maxey
Mike Quellar(sp) came by my shop today and we taked 4cell. He said that it be voted on by racers.

Very good thread............

If this is true, then this is great news (IMO) ...did he indicate when this vote was going to occur or what the big picture was? i.e. from the sounds of it it isn't something that could be voted on/implmented until mid next year or for 2008.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Again, I would hope before any decision is made that this is talked about in the industry and not just the people who think it's a good idea, actually listen to the reasons why it's a bad idea.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Every option has its problems.

2. Some chargers will not charge or discharge 5 cell packs so some guys will have to run out and get new chargers right away.
That's funny,i've been using my cheapo Novak Rhino for years to charge my 5cell packs for my AE GT....
Old 11-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Drop your roar rep an e-mail or phone call and let it be know what you want. There is Mike's e-mail address on the Roar web site. Give him a holler and see what is going on.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Most chargers charge 5-cells just fine. Tell me how a charger doesn't see a voltage threshold cut off. Some packs charge to 7 volts others to 10 and the charger doesn't care.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Thats strange...I had to check all most 100 packs when going to Vegas and 60 packs when going to Cleveland for the Champs. I was told no carry on batteries other than cell phone, laptop, IPOD, etc. I do know that you can only carry dry type cells...No 12volt wet cells on a plane.

EA
Must have been a NYC thing then..understandable but weird.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.