Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2014 LAS VEGAS INTERNATIONAL INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS "IIC" PRESENTED BY SCOTTY ERNST >

2014 LAS VEGAS INTERNATIONAL INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS "IIC" PRESENTED BY SCOTTY ERNST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 LAS VEGAS INTERNATIONAL INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS "IIC" PRESENTED BY SCOTTY ERNST

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimmyMontoya
That's all the motor tech does is gives the average Joe a good feeling. Hand made motors for the team drivers are being tech approved even though they are not really a 17.5 motor. Everyone knows this but nobody wants to say anything. The race organisers don't want to make any of the sponsors mad because they won't sponsor the race any longer. I'm no Gods gift to rc racing, but the speed of some of the cars this year was ridiculous. I was getting pulled 5 to 10 feet down the straight. The average Joe has no chance of competing at these big races. I know I will get flamed for saying something but I think something needs to be done, it's not healthy for the hobby.
You're not friends with the right people on Facebook. Sponsors were mad that tech was being too restrictive. Scotty's not afraid to make waves.

In other news, we've done handout motors in our series for three years now. Since its a series, we maintain ownership of the motors and they're distributed by blind draw. I'd say less than 5% of the racers (even those with motor sponsors) have had a bad word to say about it. If you follow the same regimen we do (tech prior to handout, sealed, and throw out some of the too "good" or too "bad" motors) you could do it for a large event (except the motors would be purchased by the racer in their entry fee).

It helped guys locally not chase motor/rotor combinations monthly, and we actually do less teching of motors now since before guys would bring 2 or three up at the race. Now we only tech what we have to based on pre-entries. It is a large up front expense, which can be pretty worrisome if you predict entries wrong.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:27 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

That's all the motor tech does is gives the average Joe a good feeling. Hand made motors for the team drivers are being tech approved even though they are not really a 17.5 motor. Everyone knows this but nobody wants to say anything. The race organisers don't want to make any of the sponsors mad because they won't sponsor the race any longer. I'm no Gods gift to rc racing, but the speed of some of the cars this year was ridiculous. I was getting pulled 5 to 10 feet down the straight. The average Joe has no chance of competing at these big races. I know I will get flamed for saying something but I think something needs to be done, it's not healthy for the hobby.
This might be the funniest thing Ive seen on here yet.

Every motor the IIC tech crew tested was a 17.5 and there were several that were kept in tech and not allowed to race because the resistance was slightly low. Not low enough to be a 16.5 but just what they considered lower than min standards. And it wasnt one brand of motors. There were several different brands that were not allowed.

For you to make your post the way its worded cast doubt on the IIC tech crew and how Scotty runs his race which is absurd. If you were getting pulled 5-10 feet down the straight then you probably have other issues....like your car stopping in the corner before the straight. If you dont carry corner speed you'll ALWAYS be slower down the straight.

EA
Old 11-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ByteStream
As Brian mentioned, if you think big races are being won by off the shelf motors, think again.
The motor I used to win 12th stock was bought "off the shelf" I have the PayPal invoice from an online shop to prove it, purchased 2 weeks before I left for Vegas.

Motor tech at IIC kept everyone on a level playing field as, from what I heard, several motors did not pass. If it wasn't a 17.5, it didn't get past tech.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CraigX
The motor I used to win 12th stock was bought "off the shelf" I have the PayPal invoice from an online shop to prove it, purchased 2 weeks before I left for Vegas.

Motor tech at IIC kept everyone on a level playing field as, from what I heard, several motors did not pass. If it wasn't a 17.5, it didn't get past tech.
Thank you for bringing facts to this conversation

Conspiracy theories get to much play around here

Grats on the win Craig
Helluva drive
Old 11-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigX

I believe everything you said, but we all know that if that motor had been a turd you wouldn't have raced it Just kidding. Your car looked so smooth at the IIC it was unbelievable.

Some people refuse to believe that there is much less difference, if any, between "Super Factory Team Motor Dyno Guy Certified #1 of 1000" motors and "I bought this from my LHS" today than there was back in the brushed motor days. Occasionally some motors are turds but quality control is much better today. I don't think a handout motor will level the playing field more than it already is. People forget how vicious the talent and dedication requirements are for racing RC cars.

As I stated before, I would support trying a handout tire in 17.5 class if there were two front tire compounds to choose from, like having the option of running Blue/Purple or Blue/Blue, or if we were running synthetic compound have an option of Yellow/Black or Yellow/Chrome. Something like that.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I am sorry you feel this way. I know I ruffled a few feathers with motor guys when the motors and/or accessories they sell didn't pass tech this year. Some of them were sponsors of the event so no, I didn't play favorites. To your other point about health, you are most likely right.

Only motors with very high readings were at a disadvantage. When we saw that we informed the owner of this abnormality (high resistance readings usually signals trouble). If the reading was low, we kept it until the end of the weekend.

As always, we are always looking for ways to make things less stressful for everyone. So if you have an suggestion on making things better/easier for next year let me know. I already logged down the time when you check-in and then the remaining time the pits are opened for you to true tires or something like that. I understood what was said.

As always, thank you for your constructive feedback.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

kraig - motor tech at iic was the best ever. thanks for taking one for the team.
btw, i missed your avatar. thanks for posting.

(also- its been 3-4 weeks since the race, i cannot believe there are still posts here. silly)
Old 11-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Motors making the difference in stock and super stock. All this discussion takes me back to when I and my son first started racing and attending these national events. I said and bitched about the same thing. "How's independent suppose to compete when all the sponsored guys get the best stuff".

Here's some facts about Kyle Klingforth's win in 17.5 at IIC and even ROAR Nats this year.

1. His awesomatix 700L that he used in 17.5 is 1 year old with more hours of run time on it than you can imagine. yes he replaced a few worn out parts but not a complete rekit. Take note of this statement.

2. The battery was brand new but not hand picked by anyone.

3. Motor fresh out of box. Had to break the seal. Never even ran this manufactures motor before. Bought from a reseller not the team. So it would be like anyone buying a motor.

4. Brand new speedo which he had never used before, put in at IIC. Again anyone could have purchased and done the same thing.

5. Used a radio he borrowed from a fellow racer at 5280 because his broke 5 days before leaving for IIC. Had 2 practice days to setup and get used to this radio. Previous Radiopost, used at IIC Futaba 4pk super R.

The moral of this story, practice practice practice. Remember #1, a new car doesn't win races, the fastest motor doesn't win races, the best battery on the planet doesn't win races. Yes these things can help but in the end it's being able to setup a car that works for the conditions your driving in and driving better than everyone else. It's taken Kyle 7 years and 10s of thousands of laps to make it this far. I'm sure Craig and everyone elase that wins at these events has invested 100s of hours or more a year to acheive there goals. If anyone thinks they can club race once a week and go win at a national event even if someone gave you the best of everything your sorely mistaken. People that win a these events work hard to get that good.

So if you want to be in the A main at a major race start practicing more or just enjoy the hobby for what it is. But don't sit back and bitch about getting beat by unfair motors and batteries by team drivers. Go make it happen for yourself.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Well said BK
Old 11-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bkspeedo

So if you want to be in the A main at a major race start practicing more or just enjoy the hobby for what it is. But don't sit back and bitch about getting beat by unfair motors and batteries by team drivers. Go make it happen for yourself.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Suspended

The sponsored drivers get better "x" comments crack me up. Every 17.5/13.5 motor I have used at the races I have attended in the last 3 years has been one directly from the car counter. Those motors came directly from Great Planes. Nothing special. RUN MODIFIED if you are worried about battery/ motor wars.

Like BK said, it takes practice. If you aren't practicing weekly outside of the club racing, you are not going to win any National type event. This is true to a point, once you have put the time in (years), its like riding a bike.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Well not to be a jackass or anything... The current ROAR Mod TC carpet champ has/had no place to just show up whenever and practice. Just saying..
Old 11-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Practice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI
Old 11-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Tech Addict

I thought motor tech at the IIC this year was great. I took a motor up to tech that I thought was ok. I was told it wasn't even close, and went to a different motor.

Thanks guys for the help.

Rich
Old 11-05-2014, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I am actually happy to hear that Craig and Kyle (Brent) got on here and defended themselves. Thank you guys! There is no replacement for hard work and in no way should this conversation take away what you have honestly earned.

I am a little concerned this has turned to a "whiner" tone. That is not me. I am more of a "solution" guy. I think a couple of interesting ideas were kicked around. I suppose it's time to let it soak and see what comes of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.