Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NOVAK U.S. TOURING CAR CHAMPIONSHIPS January 3 - 7

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'll probably be there in '08 for some BL action. I need to get a little better before I embarrass myself at a big race. :-)

I know Scotty is a class act, hopefully people stop speaking on his behalf in such a condescending tone.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Yeah why not? At least someone realizes the point I am trying to make.
Yes I know what you are saying...but just like most bigger type events its understood that ROAR rules are used unless its stated other wise....but it would be nice to have that on the sheet for issues just like this.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Yes I know what you are saying...but just like most bigger type events its understood that ROAR rules are used unless its stated other wise....but it would be nice to have that on the sheet for issues just like this.
Scotty will chime in I'm sure with some clarification. FYI, the IIC rules stated that LiPos were not allowed.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Cool lipo

I went to K.C. where lipos were legal and to tell the truth my friend ran his car with 4200 ib cells and beat the lipo's now does this mean they r better no I'm sure in the right hands lipos will be in a class of their own ... I hear if a lipo blows it's a fire u can not put out u got to cover it with sand now having said that now u have a burn hole in your crc carpet ....thats what I hear and thats why some "tracks/races" do not allow them......I'm just happy to be going to this race its a great time!!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Customworksking
II hear if a lipo blows it's a fire u can not put out u got to cover it with sand now having said that now u have a burn hole in your crc carpet ....thats what I hear and thats why some "tracks/races" do not allow them......I'm just happy to be going to this race its a great time!!!!
This is bad information. While lipo's do catch fire if they are ruputured the Orion Lipos are completely safe from this as they are encased. I believe MR Black as stated before that they have not seen a failure or fire with their cells and are one of the only one's certified to be shipped through the Air.....So that there says something.

EA
Old 12-22-2006, 01:22 PM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
This ought to be fun. Ferrari 360 body and 3200 LiPo in 19T!
I would love to see you run that exact body with your 3200 Lipo on foam tires. Heck, why not run your 3200 Lipo in Mod with the Ferrari as well....We could all use a halftime show j/k
Old 12-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
This is bad information. While lipo's do catch fire if they are ruputured the Orion Lipos are completely safe from this as they are encased. I believe MR Black as stated before that they have not seen a failure or fire with their cells and are one of the only one's certified to be shipped through the Air.....So that there says something.

EA
hold on a sec I only heard this and my local track owner told me that is why he does not allow lipos .......if everyone has orion lipos cool but if not then what ?all I was saying is they can catch fire and I hear thats the only draw back ......sorry
Old 12-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PW
I would love to see you run that exact body with your 3200 Lipo on foam tires. Heck, why not run your 3200 Lipo in Mod with the Ferrari as well....We could all use a halftime show j/k
ha ha i might run the LiPo in mod. The Ferrari is another questions. It works great on asphalt. It is nearly as fast as Mazda at Tamiya but with a little more understeer which might be good on high bite carpet. I have been itching to try this body at a big race but it is always ROAR or 4-door only. 2-door opens things up a bit :-)

Of course it could suck.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Tech Lord

EA is a good man for trying to clear that up. The casing isn't what stops the fire so much as the cell design, but the casing does help prevent shorts on the chassis, and other similar damage. There's a lot of information on LiPo, and the different quality between cells in terms of safety. That's a discussion for another place, though. As far as fires go, I've seen several fires start because of exposed sub-c cells shorting out on CF chassis. I think that's going to always be a concern with R/C cars using chemical reactions as a source of power.

Anyway, have fun at Novak guys, I'll try and get up there next year for some BL action. Maybe this race will be one of the first to embrace LiPo.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by Customworksking
hold on a sec I only heard this and my local track owner told me that is why he does not allow lipos .......if everyone has orion lipos cool but if not then what ?all I was saying is they can catch fire and I hear thats the only draw back ......sorry
If I were a track owner and guys wanted to run a Lipo class or run with Sub C cells then I would only allow Orion Packs...Simple as that. They are the best ones and most dummy proof lipo's out there although all batteries (sub C, Lipo, etc) can be dangerous if treated improperly.

But to give you an answer yes Lipos do catch fire and do not explode like Sub-C cells do.....This is usually caused from damage to the cell's outter layer or due to mis-use....Overcharging, over discharging, etc.

EA
Old 12-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

EA is a good man..
...That's what we call "hearsay"...
Old 12-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by TC Guy
...That's what we call "hearsay"...
LOL....Will we need to keep any eye on you at the Novak race? I mean Scotty's building is Two story so if you have a bad week again we might need to lock the top floor!!

EA
Old 12-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Will we need to keep any eye on you at the Novak race? I mean Scotty's building is Two story so if you have a bad week again we might need to lock the top floor!!
If I don't jump out of a moving car on the way riding with Hartman for 8 hours first...

Dear Santa,

I know this may be a bit last minute, but I have one more request for Christmas. Make sure EA has a seat next to a sweaty, menopausal, 600lb. woman on his flight to the Novak Race.
Your friend...and more importantly always nice,
DY

Have a nice flight EA...
Old 12-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sucks for EA if that actually happens.... LMAO
Old 12-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Team EAM

Yea but thats what I like about 6.30AM Flights....Those people are to lazy to get up at that hour!! Im sure I'll be on a plane with about 10 other people like last year to the novak race!! LOL

And besides its only a 50minute flight so I can hold my breath for about 2 minutes....So thats around lets say 25 times I would have to smell her anyway!! LMAO

EA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.