Like Tree4Likes

mental training

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
2 beer, 3 Valium = golden !
I tried that and got a DUI on the driver stand...
Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I make sure my car is 100% before the race, never make last minute changes and meditate for 10 minutes prior to the warm up to settle my mind and heart rate. When I am on the stand, I always race my own race. If other people are coming up behind me I'll hold my line for 3 corners (if they are faster and more skilled, they'll get around me), after that I make a small gap so they can slip through. Recently on the stand I was beside someone who was coming up behind me on the track, I said to him I was going to open a gap for him and he slipped through cleanly. He thanked me and I replied " I might not be the fastest out here but I am out here to fun and can at least be curtious to the others on the track in the process. After the race he came up and thanked me telling me that I was a pleasure to race with and I was always welcome to race and practice with him. It was nice to hear and a nice confidence booster, later in the meet I started to push the other bloke and we had a ball. Keep you mind clear and be curtious to your other competitors and marshalls and it will be returned 10 fold. Making life much easier to improve!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

Best way Iv found to keep my self calm is to tune into just the sound of my car. Listen to nuthing but the rising and dieing rpm's from your motor.
I guess u can say "be the car" lol
Old 08-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Everyone makes mistakes on the track and needs the marshalls at one time or another. Most newer people will try and make up that time on the track with usually making things worse. If you do bobble or crash try to keep a cool head and get back into your rythem. Your car will only go so fast with you at the wheel. Trying to make it go faster usually ends with bad results. Try to tune out the announcer too if he makes you nervous. Lots of people crash after hearing their name on the speakers. Our announcer really adds to the race with his comentary but he also can be distracting if your concentration is low.

Main thing is to think of is the fun you are having no matter what your results are. A bad run has lots of things to learn from and make you better next time.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Ok this might offend some people but it works my nerves were very jittery one morning before a big race my Wife woke up and gave my a racing gift (Blow) I blew and my nervous went from a 10 to a 1 since then its a race day must have starting placing in the top 3 (Amain) when I was racing consistently.

Last edited by bigjayjay1; 08-25-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Tech Adept

Bahahahaha great idea!!!!
Old 02-19-2022, 06:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by offroad_home
Yeah, my driving style ist basically the reason for this thread.

People tell me I don't drive that bad, but that I'm way too nervous on the drivers stand and my driving style gets way too aggressive and I make bobbles or I'm hitting the trigger too early.

So a buddy told me it doesn't only depend on not enough practise on the track, but on mental training, to be more relaxed on the drivers stand. He told me "read a book, close the world out, just concentrate".

What is everyone thinking about mental training and what are your methods?
This is exactly my story! When I also started driving, I was very nervous behind the wheel. Sometimes even reached a nervous breakdown. But then I began to be interested in psychology and it helped me to cope with emotions. And this hobby dragged on and now I'm interested in everything related to psychology. I recently found this relationship insecurity test and it also gave me a lot of new knowledge and a better understanding of myself and my partner.

Last edited by AlfredNatha; 04-28-2022 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is there any good guides and exercises for mental and focus training online? Video or text?

cheers.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jurassic579
Is there any good guides and exercises for mental and focus training online? Video or text?

cheers.
VRC
Nitro5270 likes this.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Most are smoking weed at my track.....seriously...the fastest guys....without it almost a full second slower...I do not condone it.. they do it outside the gates but everyone can smell it.....I used to shake like hell too....try to focus on your car only. Don't race the other cars, just drive ....tell your self that on the stand over and over. It gets much better with more track time....or take a Xanax...
Old 03-28-2022, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fat500
Most are smoking weed at my track.....seriously...the fastest guys....without it almost a full second slower...I do not condone it.. they do it outside the gates but everyone can smell it.....I used to shake like hell too....try to focus on your car only. Don't race the other cars, just drive ....tell your self that on the stand over and over. It gets much better with more track time....or take a Xanax...
Weed affects people differently, and there are tons of different stains with different effects. Some will make you more nervous, and some can calm you down. Would hate for some dude that want to be fast to go out and get something that makes him throw his radio, or yell at marshalls Two of the fastest guys on the planet, does not do this. They just practice...

What helped me, was simply going to the track by myself and driving. You will learn how not to crash when you are tired of coming off the drivers stand to flip your car over... It also allows you to learn how ot tune into your car. Everything gets better with experience. We have a kid here thats gonna make some noise in 10th mod. He got that good by going to the track daily.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:24 AM
Suspended

I like this topic. Thank you for sharing!
Old 08-11-2022, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

just enjoy, it’s a hobby And because you need just only go a have fun. It doesn’t matter what o position you finish what it matters it’s the experience 👍🏻

Originally Posted by offroad_home
Yeah, my driving style ist basically the reason for this thread.

People tell me I don't drive that bad, but that I'm way too nervous on the drivers stand and my driving style gets way too aggressive and I make bobbles or I'm hitting the trigger too early.

So a buddy told me it doesn't only depend on not enough practise on the track, but on mental training, to be more relaxed on the drivers stand. He told me "read a book, close the world out, just concentrate".

What is everyone thinking about mental training and what are your methods?
Old 08-11-2022, 09:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

that’s doping isn’t it?? Hahah

Originally Posted by fat500