Like Tree1187Likes

wtcc's TT-02 KR

Old 09-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Some more pictures of setting the car up:

Old 09-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

GT body? Why not a tamiya body NSX? https://itcrashed.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/nsx2.jpg
It is at least low enough.
I also know the Cusco Dunlop Subaru Impreza body is wider than normal so you get the wheels out as much as needed.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

The Subaru is not allowed and the beautiful Super GT Raybrig is not available anymore because it was the favourite body in the Tamiya Euro Cup. And if I would get one, then I wouldn‘t race it.

Edit: For the start I bought the Protoform Corvette C7 ZR1. Awesome looking body.

Last edited by wtcc; 09-15-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

After I found out some minor mistakes in the produced parts due to wrong measurements, I updated my data:

As you can see I optimized the shocktowers and shocktower mounts. Both are placed 1mm towards the center of the car, the lower screwhole vanished and the ball cups get more space. I added a score in the lower middle of the shocktowers to allow for easy l/r balance check. Before I had a 1mm hole, but that is stupid difficult to use, not sure what I thought... The rear shocktower also had a change with the holes for the body posts rising 2mm. Otherwise the upper shock eyelit will not fit in the most outside hole The ARB-clamps got a change on the nipple to pay respect to the manufacturing tolerances. Near unvisible changes also happened to the front drivetrain ball bearing clamp and all plates to accomodate the new shocktowermount design.

The downside of these changes... I will not profit as my setup works like it is (with a very little one time help of my Dremel) and I don't think someone else will ever jump this "bus"...
MatsNorway and NutDriver like this.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Parts arrived in the mail today

One thing that was on my mind for several weeks now, is the maintenance jam (is that right, from Google translate?) with my Xray SLP shocks. The plastic parts do their job since october 2014. The rubber membrane and o-ring are at least 1 year old. So it was time to renew them:

Now the SLP shocks are smoooooooth as silk. Still the best shocks I have ever owned.

Then the new urethane bumper came and the diffinsert to make it a spool:

The bumper needed a little trimming to avoid the ARB-clamps. Later in the week I will mill a carbon brace to hold it firmly in place.

The installation of the spool insert showed how good you can work with the car after the conversion. In the end I had to do not more or less than on a normal competition chassis to get the front diff out.

The products of Yeah Racing always include some good ideas and are therefore quite attractive. Unfortunately the precision is a bit off. I already had problems with the fitting of the motor mount. Now the insert needed force (not brute force) to get in the diffcase. Then the outdrives needed brute force to be fitted. Everything will work fine once in the car, but this imprecise production makes you think...Next time original Tamiya parts?
walrusjon and museguy like this.

Last edited by wtcc; 09-18-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

Not sure how big difference there is between 3racing and yeah racing but i favour 3racing by experiences similar to your own. And now they even make their own cars. Tamiya OEM is ofc the best money can buy.
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Today I made the upper bumper brace from one of the last cfk parts I have laying around. A very subtle design, but I like it:

For the last days I continued with preparing the Corvette body. When I placed it on the chassis for the first time, I recognized how wide wheel arches stand out. Did I buy a 200mm body? No, it is 190mm, then the TT02 is just 180mm wide... I totally forgot! Puuh, it looks like sh*t already. I can't stand that:

That is not the way I want to drive around the track. What now? Somehow there must be a way to make the track wider. At first I thought of doing something with the arms, but I don't want to weaken them with an extension or even cut them and then see that my idea doesn't work. The real challenge are the inner mounts. My approach was to use the original inner mount hole to hold a fitting insert that takes the pin 5mm to the outside. To prevent it from spinning in the hole, it is designed to cling to the inner chassis walls. The outer mounts just got a little more material and revised holes that will stop the pin from going through and adapt to the toe angles:

At first I wanted Shapeways to print it in aluminium, but that would be far too expensive, so I will try their professional plastic...
MatsNorway and G-rem like this.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Tech Champion

Thicker hexes and wheel shims will get the car up to 190mm easily...
Old 09-20-2018, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

...but then it will drive and feel not good. I personally prefer 4mm hexes on my competition touring cars. The cars then feel more connected to the track. The TT-02 already has 6mm hexes now adding another 5mm won‘t do any good performance wise.
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:29 AM
Tech Adept

Are your driveshafts long enough or do you have to change something about them as well?
Old 09-21-2018, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

Good point. Of course the TT-02 driveshafts (39mm) will be too short. This is kind of positive and negative. The positive: I can use the double joint cardans now (from my T4), which will help eliminate chatter with the spool in front. The negative: I bought aluminium bones for the car in this configuration...
Old 09-25-2018, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

I had a hard time deciding if I should go racing the first race of the RCK series here in the south or not. Right now even the weekends are full planned. So I got hardly time to prepare the car and no possibility for a shakedown run... Luckily I could manage to open up a first run on friday afternoon at my hometrack in Senden and then I got the news that the race location in Crailsheim will open their doors for guests on the 3rd of october. That is a holiday in Germany. Awesome! I am really looking forward to these dates.

Yesterday Shapeways send a message and required a redesign of the armmounts. Nothing serious, I just needed to beef up the connections between the parts, but this will delay the delivery. I hope the parts arrive on time for the practice on october 3rd...

With the first run coming on friday, I used the freetime and evenings to continue with the body. I mean, I bought the wrong version of the Protoform Corvette for this livery, but still the outcome is gorgeous:

The RTR weight is 1245g with body weighting 90g.
Again, I can’t wait to drive this car
Old 09-26-2018, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Another picture. I added wheel stickers. There was the wish to use spoke wheels, but the price for tires, wheels and foam inserts was too high (nearly 50€). So stickers need to do the job.
30Tooth, gigaplex and walrusjon like this.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

Default Der Hammer

Die Farbe ist prima! Darf ich fragen, welche du verwendet hast?

Gruß,
Michael
Old 09-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Vielen Dank!
Auf den Fotos sieht es aus wie Gelb Metallic. Dem ist aber nicht so. Ich hatte noch einen Rest Tamiya PS-6 (gelb). Damit habe ich die Karo im ersten Gang gleichmäßig eingenebelt (nicht deckend). Die Dose war dann alle. Aus einer Fehlbestellung hatte ich noch Tamiya PS-42 (translucent yellow). Damit habe ich noch zwei Schichten gesprüht. Am Ende mit PS-1 (weiss) gedeckt. Die beiden Gelbtöne sind leicht verschieden (ein Ton hat mehr Rotanteil), was dann zu dem Metallic Look führt...aber auch nur auf dem Kamerabild... Keine Ahnung wieso.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.