Wiki Posts
Search

Back from the Dead !

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Back from the Dead !

I have a original Savage 21 I bought when they first came out, The Savage I have was the first one my local hobby store got ! way back in the day. So I am bringing it back from the dead. I want to update some of it, maybe current shocks and a longer chassis and a new motor. I want to start a build thread here so I will update this thread with everything I am doing to my Project Back from the Dead !
Also I would love some input so give me some ideas ! I need to find a good motor to start with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RCwlfNtYBo
This Video shows you what I am starting with, also I am doing a RC giveaway on my channel so check that out too
Old 06-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I still have my original Savage SS.
Two ideas. Drop a .28 in it with a tuned pipe, or convert to brushless. Eventually mine will get converted.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

eBay will be your friend, you can get the f4.6 and you can buy the plastic big bores
shocks pretty cheap
Old 06-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Tech Regular

i think the best thing to update first would be the diffs. grab a set of 2013 savage x diffs (sintered bullteproof) or for the ultimate, get a complete diff set with bulkheads from a flux or xl, and grab the dogbones and axles. you will never have to even think about the drivetrain again. then toss some more power at it, for the money the picco .28 is a killer motor, however even just an f4.6 will be decent. the big bore shocks are nice, but the twin shock setup does work well, and when you blow one apart they are dirt cheap to fix.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
I still have my original Savage SS.
Two ideas. Drop a .28 in it with a tuned pipe, or convert to brushless. Eventually mine will get converted.
I would love to do a electric conversion but I would have to find a completely different tranny for a electric savage
Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Sharkey_t
i think the best thing to update first would be the diffs. grab a set of 2013 savage x diffs (sintered bullteproof) or for the ultimate, get a complete diff set with bulkheads from a flux or xl, and grab the dogbones and axles. you will never have to even think about the drivetrain again. then toss some more power at it, for the money the picco .28 is a killer motor, however even just an f4.6 will be decent. the big bore shocks are nice, but the twin shock setup does work well, and when you blow one apart they are dirt cheap to fix.
I will have to look into the diff upgrade, I have completely updated the drive-train a few years ago but I may have to do it again after I put in a more powerful motor.
I will check out the Picco.28 I like the price of that motor
Old 06-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Picco 28 is the absolute KING of big block engines. U can still get the P3 on eBay, there aren't that many left so if that's what ur after u should pick one up ASAP. The Picco Boost is the P3's replacement, same engine with a turbo head. Those can be had for about $200 bucks.

As for diffs the ultimate set up would be the Vorza diff mod. Grab some XL/Flux machined bulletproof diffs and Hot Bodies D8T/Vorza diff cups, spider gears and cross shafts. Slap'em all together and u now have true bulletproof diffs, that's the best OEM diff set up avialible.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Tech Adept

Picco P3: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ofna-Picco-2...item43bcfd2bbe

Picco Boost: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ine-Turbo-Plug
Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the link, I will be putting in my order tomorrow for a motor. I most likely will get the boost because it is the current model and part support will be better down the road if I need to rebuild.

Anyone have a good idea or link to a upgrade kit for going from 14mm to 17mm for my wheels, I dont want to upgrade to the Savage XL width so doing that is out, unless I can some how keep my same width or close to it
Old 06-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Adept

Ur best best is to upgrade to full Flux drive train, it's the same as XL without the added width, that will also solve ur 17mm hex issue. Usually the first to do when upgrading an old 21 is changing out the diffs and bulks to current X style especially if u plan on using a powerful engine like a Picco, I'd say it's a must...

Flux BP Diffs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-FLUX-...item4d0dbccf51

Composite Bulks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-X-4-6...item5657be148a

Flux Dogbones (11mm): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-FLUX-...item5657b3a733

Flux Axles (11mm): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-FLUX-...item5657b39b0f
Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Tech Adept

If u want to save some money u can upgrade the drive line to X instead of Flux. The difference is X is sintered instead of machined, still BP though and X uses 9mm ball ends on the dogbones. Cup side of the diff shafts and axle are smaller to except the 9mm ball ends as well.

If ur wanting to upgrade to X parts PM me dood I have a bunch of X parts pulled from NEW RTR's.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

Ok Update on the Savage build, I have gotten my 2 new servo's and new tires and wheels, I am waiting till after I get back from the Roar Nats to finish up the Savage back from the dead build
Old 07-22-2013, 05:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'm doing the same kind of rebuild on an LST2, fun stuff. Next door neighbor has a Savage 4.6 that needs some TLC. I think its nest on my list. We need to get out and bash the home construction areas around here,lol I redid his sons Tmax last summer too. good trucks.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

Well I ran into a snag and I have everything but a motor. Probably will be a few more weeks or month or longer before I can get the motor. Sorry but I will keep you guys updated when I can
Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Tech Rookie

If your gona go with a picco I would get a moded one from robin over at ERCM , I say this cz I've had nothing but problem with 3 out of 4 picco's , and when robin mod's them he go's through them with a comb.
I'm not trying to put picco down but I think they my have hired a new quality control guy that may not no what to look for LOL