Wiki Posts
Search

Exotek f1Ultra F103 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer robert
F1 ultras where fast at round 3 of the Texas electric on road series on the carpet of Mike's hobby shop in carrollton. My ultra was unchallenged all day. Set TQ in round one and won the grueling 15 minute main keeping it up front from tone to tone. By the end I put the ultra over 10 seconds ahead of 2nd place and many laps ahead of everyone else. Texas tc also piloted his ultra very well bumping up from the b main and finishing 7th in the show. The grid was filled with trg, tamiya and one very fast rc shox car but the ultra came through victorious!

beat me to it. The Ultra IS the car to beat if your going 200. Nuff said. It is just fast.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

Who sets the rules for F1, roar, tamiya? Also can these cars use a mini servo like in 1/12 or must they use low profile stnd servos?
Thanks,
E
Old 09-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Rules seem to be set by popular opinion or if a large event the race director.
21.5 motor 2 cell lipo and no-boost is pretty standard. Other than that some areas will limit width or tire or chassis design.

Here in Dallas and Houston F1 is small but growing fast. Well I should'nt say small, its the biggest class behind sedan. We are sticking to rubber tires but allow up to 205mm cars and direct drive or IRS rear suspension. At the club level any of those platforms can win. Here in our state series DD cars have the edge as long as the track is dry and prepped. So far a norrow
180mm car is leading the points.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

I have not tried a 12th scale servo in F1 but I would expect it to be adequate. They work in WGT wich must load the steering system with much more fore on those grippy foam tires.

I have also noticed that tamiya kits inlude a narrow set of servo mounts. I assume they are to fit a 12th scale sized servo.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EricF
Who sets the rules for F1, roar, tamiya? Also can these cars use a mini servo like in 1/12 or must they use low profile stnd servos?
Thanks,
E
No one body sets the rules for F1, there is no officially sanctioned national F1 championship so there is no official ROAR rules. If you want to run in the Tamiya TCS series, they have their own set of rules. If you want to run in the UF1 series, they have their own different set of rules. if you want to run f1 at the IIC, again there's a different set of rules. If you want to run at your local club, then you can run to whatever rules the drivers at your club want to run.

A lot of clubs tend to run something based on the set of rules created for the UF1 series, so using a 21.5T motor, narrow 190mm wide chassis and rubber tyres. Others are happier to attract people back who already have older cars or other makes, or who prefer the retro F1s Tamiya have released, so allow 200mm wide cars and foam tyres and allow the 540 silver can motor that comes with Tamiyas cheaper F1 kits.

The cars are designed for standard full profile servos, but Tamiya also include extra servo mounts to mount 1/12th servos that are 15mm wide.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

I have been running my Ultra with the standard F103 battery placement. Tomorrow for practice I have switched to the inline placing. What kind of changes can I look forward to expecting? In general of course
Old 09-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc
No one body sets the rules for F1, there is no officially sanctioned national F1 championship so there is no official ROAR rules.
Hopefully the ROAR rules will come out soon. They have been in the works.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by texastc
I have been running my Ultra with the standard F103 battery placement. Tomorrow for practice I have switched to the inline placing. What kind of changes can I look forward to expecting? In general of course
I was expecting to lose a little stability but get some agility. Instead I improved both. Infield is wicked yet predictable, did have a push on the sweeper, but 1/4 turn side springs got rid of most of it, Knocked off .3 from last time out. There is more out there. Racer Robert has improved over a second/lap with his Ultra. Ridiculous.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by texastc
I was expecting to lose a little stability but get some agility. Instead I improved both. Infield is wicked yet predictable, did have a push on the sweeper, but 1/4 turn side springs got rid of most of it, Knocked off .3 from last time out. There is more out there. Racer Robert has improved over a second/lap with his Ultra. Ridiculous.

I like the inline location also. Seems to react faster but still planted. Did you have more sweeper steering with the battery side ways?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EricF
Thanks,
E
I drive my Exotek F1R with a 1:12 size servo, well actually it is a heli servo spektrum H5000 I think it is called
Old 09-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MikeR
I like the inline location also. Seems to react faster but still planted. Did you have more sweeper steering with the battery side ways?
Yes, but didn't feel as planted every where else. Can make sweeper if I pump the throttle a bit so it is very manageable. If I can get faster in the sweeper without losing anything else would be bonus, might be as simple as adding more steering input on the radio. Running 58% steering.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

I found with the F1-Ultra battery in-line or transverse the rear is just way more planted than the standard F103. Before the conversion I had to do everything I could think of to add rear grip. With the Ultra conversion I have to do everything I could think of to add more front grip and free up the rear. GOOD PROBLEM TO HAVE! But we are on carpet so I would expect less than ideal traction like a dirty parking lot would favor the transverse battery.

Battery transverse forced me to go slower everywhere including the sweeper (still much faster than stock). With battery inline I can carry more speed and but I still have to let off some in that same sweeper as Texas TC.

I also tried running a carbon axle again wich seemed to improve the drivability of the car and helped the rear rotate but lap times actually suffered so I quickly switched back the the heavy and stable steel axle.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Oh. I didn't realize you were lifting in the sweeper. Maybe not a true lift, more like letting off a bit, feathering, etc. It's a fast fun sweeper, I push all the way to the outside wall coming out. Can't wait til next Monday, hope those trashcans are gone.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

You are correct I am probably lifting to 3/4 throttle instead of WFO like we do in our WGT cars. Also I select my line to carry as much speed as possible and let the car push out to the outside wall along the back straight. I am at full lock steering to the right and control how far from the board I am using more or less throttle.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

We re doin same thing then. So I am on right track, just not consistent in the line department.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.