Wiki Posts
Search

Car for Girlfriend??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Car for Girlfriend??

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have tried searching a lot of sites but I can't find much info on affordable nitro cars. Anyways, my girlfriend has taken a liking to nitro cars and I am looking for something as cheap as possible for her to start with. The budget if possible is around $100-150. I know thats not much, but I was looking at the Tornado XL (which is also the shockwave I guess??) and its $100. Is this car any good and if not are there any good RTR cars that I can get ahold of for that price?? Thanks for any help in advance.

Mustang6767c
Old 04-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I would probly go with this
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJSU2&P=0
You would also need a glo-plug igniter and if you google for tower hobbies coupons you can find them that will nock $30 off of that total bringing you out around $190 shipped. If you want something cheaper then look for a used rc10-gt or a used xxx-nt on this forum in the for sale section or rcuniverse.com

That tornado car is garbage. These are well know trusted cars that you should be happy with. If you recieve a used car as long as you recieve a good product you will be happy with it.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

if you have a hobby shop by your house go and check it out. See which rc car you like and make sure they carry parts for it and will for a long time, that way if something breaks you can go to the hobby shop instead of having to order hard to find parts online or somthing. anyway just a thought. if you go with the xtm above i have a roller parts car id sell you for 40 shipped. good luck.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mustang6767c
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have tried searching a lot of sites but I can't find much info on affordable nitro cars. Anyways, my girlfriend has taken a liking to nitro cars and I am looking for something as cheap as possible for her to start with. The budget if possible is around $100-150. I know thats not much, but I was looking at the Tornado XL (which is also the shockwave I guess??) and its $100. Is this car any good and if not are there any good RTR cars that I can get ahold of for that price?? Thanks for any help in advance.

Mustang6767c

Your girlfreind is now making you her pit bitch good luck
Old 05-01-2007, 03:14 AM
Tech Addict

My wife started racing with a B4 - ok not nitro, but I race one myself and it's a very popular car so when she does break something it's easily fixable.
I appreciate your girlfriend might not want to race, but even so, if you buy a cheap nitro (or cheap anything) you might have problems getting it fixed if / when she rams it into a wall.
The other good thing is I can change motors to suit, I've put her back on a really slow motor again since she went a bit mental with a stock motor in there But this is for racing of course, for playing a nitro might be better as there is no track to stick to.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I suggest you get a good quality kit for her that way if you break up you'll have a car you like.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

get a DURATRAX RAZE $269 on tower ....i know it's more the $150 but there worth it...
Old 05-01-2007, 06:13 AM
DKB
Tech Adept

GAMMACRUSH
if you have a hobby shop by your house go and check it out. See which rc car you like and make sure they carry parts for it and will for a long time, that way if something breaks you can go to the hobby shop instead of having to order hard to find parts online or somthing.
Yep this dude is right!!!!!
Trust me I know for details check out this link and read about the issues I've had as a newbie "RACE DAY"

E'Bay Dude
Old 05-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would say that if she is liking nitro (did she specify what kind?), probably see about getting one used and buying a new engine.

You can find RC10GT rollers extremely cheap now, and they are tanks and RPM has them fully supported with hop ups.

If she is wanting something like a 1/8 scale, you will need to up your budget, but you can still find good vehicles online, even some reasonably priced new.

I just think 100 - 150 isn't much as far as getting a nitro, assuming at a minimum you are wanting one that is RTR and new.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking

Hey,

Thanks for everyones suggestions. Since the replies I have been checking ebay and I am still keeping an eye out. Unfortunately I have been searching for a while now (month or so) and I thought I was gonna track something down. Easier said then done. I did end up finding a lot of info that was very useful about the Redcat Tornado XL. I know some may frown, but I ended up purchasing one and I am aware of the risk, but I have made a number of parts for my X-Terminator and I am actually looking forward to fixing any problems which may occur (as crazy as it sounds). I made the purchase today and I don't feel too worried. If it turns out to be a piece then oh well, at least I'll know first hand.

I am going to use some of your suggestions for a new play car for myself. So all your comments will go to use. I have always wanted a stadium truck and I like the idea.

So thanks for all the help and sorry this is so long.

Mustang6767c