Lipo charging questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Lipo charging questions!!!

hey gues,

what's wrong with the search tab??

anyways, i have a small question about charging Lipos, we run a mix of protek 5000 and thunder power 5200 race pack and we always charge them at 5 and 5.2 amps, it takes a lot of time (around 50-55 minutes) to charge them eventhough we don't drain them. we run 6 minutes heats and the charge time is just dead slow.

can we charge at a higher rate?? like 10 amps for example or what shall we do to make the whole charging process go faster??

any help is appreciated

thanks
Ali
Old 07-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Depends...some LIPO packs allow you to charge at a higher rating than the suggested 1C. If your packs say don't charge over the recommended 1C - dont - you might damage your packs. If they do, then its really up to your charger and if it allows you to do so.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hey thanks for the input.

this is whats written on thunderpower's site

''Q: Which charger/balancer combinations are approved for charging G4 series batteries at rates of 3C to 6C?
A: G4 series batteries are capable of being ultra-fast charged safely at rates up to an amazing 6C (for charge times of 10 minutes or less!) with no loss in performance or cycle life delivery when using approved charger and balancer combinations. We have a number of new charger/balancer models in development now that will be capable of ultra-fast charging even our highest capacity batteries so be sure to keep an eye out for release of these new models in the near future. In the meantime the following is a list of charger/balancer combinations approved for charging G4 series batteries at rates up to 6C:

Thunder Power RC; All models
Bantam; e-Station series (models w/built-in balancer)
FMA; CellPro series
Hyperion; EOS series (models w/built-in balancer)
Junsi; iCharger series

All other charger/balancer combinations have not yet been tested or have been tested and are not approved. We recommend charging at rates up to 2C max with all other charger/balancer combinations and 1C max when charging without a balancer''

when they say 6C, do they mean 30amps for a 5200 pack??

this sound really fast compared to the dead slow 5.2 amp charge!!!

??!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

yes, it would seem that you can charge at a higher rate from what you wrote down about the pack. In all honesty - i'd only go 2C and that is only with an approved pack.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

do you only have the one pack when you go racing?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:58 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO
hey gues,

what's wrong with the search tab??

anyways, i have a small question about charging Lipos, we run a mix of protek 5000 and thunder power 5200 race pack and we always charge them at 5 and 5.2 amps, it takes a lot of time (around 50-55 minutes) to charge them eventhough we don't drain them. we run 6 minutes heats and the charge time is just dead slow.

can we charge at a higher rate?? like 10 amps for example or what shall we do to make the whole charging process go faster??

any help is appreciated

thanks
Ali
you didn't mention how much the battery took during the charge. charging at 1C, a full charge will take more than 1 hour because the charger backs off on current to not exceed 4.2volts per cell. this adds some time, but i think the real time cost is in the balance algorithm that some chargers use.

you might indicate which charger you are using. myself i found the bantam charger (bc6?) i have to be conservative and little slow in balance charge compared to the orion clubman. funny because now i prefer the clubman which cost 1/3 the price of the bantam.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

6C?? where dey do dat dat??
Old 07-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If someone makes a charger capable of charging a lipo at 30 amps (2 cell) I'd like to see it. Your going to need a tremendous power supply also.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Most of us here have been charging our TP 5000's @ 10 amp with no issues. It may shorten the life a bit but will speed up your charge time. Most chargers don't charge over 10 amps that I know of. I use the Pulsar 3 and a 35 Stealth for cycling.