Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It says that it will operate the day of purchase. It has no timeframe. I called and they said that they could not cover fans and such or if the ESC got wet they would look at things at their disgression. I wanted a more definite time of coverage if not abused.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ran my Losi 8IGHT E Today and it ran well. We run 6 minute qualifiers, which I had no problem. The first run I ran the 16 tooth pinion temp was around 187, dropped to the 15 tooth and the temp dropped to 179, which I thought was good, ESC 125, battery 109. Had slightly more speed than the nitro cars and much more punch. I am also using the 5000mah Losi Lipo hard case pack. I went to run the main and ran for about for 4 minutes before the car lost much of its power. Brought the car in and temped the motor at 221 after only 4 minutes of running. Searched the entire drive train for the sign of a locked up bearing but found nothing. Tried my battery on a buddies 8ight E who is running the same setup and it worked fine. Put my motor in his car and it will barely get out of its own way. Not sure what caused the motor to heat up and loose power but I will be calling Losi first thing on Monday, I've got to get this issue squared away. I'm really excited about electric 1/8 though. Got the Fall Brawl in Myrtle Beach coming up quick and few more club races.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ran my 8ight E again today at Dalton Rc and raceway let a few other drivers try it out everyone really impressed with the car our track has a big high air tripple and car just wants to fly just add wings. But i did flex the chassis and pop out rear driveshaft not sure why losi doesn;t make them just a tad longer so wouldn't have to shim them?? Same deal with roller nitro version of mine . Have new losi 8ight 2.0 on the way hope the driveshaft clearence is a little longer than the others so shimming wouldn;t be necessary but thats not hard to do anyway. Just my opinion. Love my losi's though.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Sweet, keep the feedback coming
Old 10-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by godzila
Ran my Losi 8IGHT E Today and it ran well. We run 6 minute qualifiers, which I had no problem. The first run I ran the 16 tooth pinion temp was around 187, dropped to the 15 tooth and the temp dropped to 179, which I thought was good, ESC 125, battery 109. Had slightly more speed than the nitro cars and much more punch. I am also using the 5000mah Losi Lipo hard case pack. I went to run the main and ran for about for 4 minutes before the car lost much of its power. Brought the car in and temped the motor at 221 after only 4 minutes of running. Searched the entire drive train for the sign of a locked up bearing but found nothing. Tried my battery on a buddies 8ight E who is running the same setup and it worked fine. Put my motor in his car and it will barely get out of its own way. Not sure what caused the motor to heat up and loose power but I will be calling Losi first thing on Monday, I've got to get this issue squared away. I'm really excited about electric 1/8 though. Got the Fall Brawl in Myrtle Beach coming up quick and few more club races.

The motor probably uses the lowest grade of magnet which start demagnetizing at 80C or 176F. Cheap chinese motors use this grade.
If you go over that them, your motor may be toast.

It seems that Neu motor uses higher grade of magnets that can operate up to 100C or 212F

The highest quality magnet can operate up to 220C or 428 F
Old 10-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by plumslow
It says that it will operate the day of purchase. It has no timeframe. I called and they said that they could not cover fans and such or if the ESC got wet they would look at things at their disgression. I wanted a more definite time of coverage if not abused.
No-one has a warranty of fans (Castle only did because they knew the problem was the case but the new V2 MMM's only turn on when the ESC hits 150F). Also don't know any manufacture that cover electronics when wet.
They got 6 or so pages of info on warranty on the esc in the manual but have nothing about the time frame
Old 10-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

Just got home from a long day of racing and cleaning (ran my B4, B44 and slash to be ready for pro series next weekend - wow I am tired)
Won the main with the E8, not alot of nitro 1/8 but was still competative
Ran a 12mins main and temps were 147 motor, 121 ESC using the 16t pinion
The battery took 3000 mah after the mains using 5000 Losi lipo
The car is great, was just following the leading nitro until about 10 mins to conserve battery and raced it hard the last 2 mins, had a stop and go pitstop
Our track is about 140ft straight with loose wet dirt, not hard on the motor and esc due to loamy surface
The set up I used was green springs all around, 50wt up front and stock 25(?) at the rear
The brakes were still hard and acceleration and torque were still good up to the end of the main
The battery plug came loose from the solder when I was removing it from the ESC, will have to change to deans bec I dont know how to remove those plugs to solder it, it is too deep and will burn the plastic
Tires again came loose after gluing all unglued parts
Overall enjoyed it bec I beat the nitros and did not even have to tune the motor
Running a 1/8 buggy with all the torque and accuracy without tuning and starting an engine - priceless
Old 10-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

what temps does losi recommend on there motors, and can you add a heatsink to them?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

All 8ight motors will die sooner or later. The manual explicitly states that the maximum gearing on 4s is 13 tooth ! Due to bad weather here in germany I could not race the car at the moment - but I will soon monitor the motor temps with my eagletree-system on our racetrack (a small one).
Old 10-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I bought and installed the 14t pinion before I even ran my E 8ight. I've been running brushless and lipo for a while in 10th scale and know the importance of not over heating the electronics. I've ran mine twice since I got it on Friday and so far everything is good. With the 14t pinion I maxed out at 165 degrees on the motor and 110 on the esc. I do let the motor cool to 100 degrees after each pack though. Make sure you calibrate the esc with your radio before you run it, I didn't the first time and It caused brake issues. The best results from breaks so far is to set them at 10% and then adjust with your epa to your likings. The stock 30% was way to strong for me.

Both losi 5000's that I recieved were way out of balance, each had a cell under in the 2 volts range and wouldn't even charge on lipo mode. I had to slowly charge them up under NIMH mode untill they recovered enough to charge and balance under lipo. One of the cells in the pack were almost 1 volt off. Balancing them took forever. Losi really needs to make sure they are placing the proper storage voltage in these cells, expecially since these packs are just released, I would have hate to have seen the condition of these packs if they had been sitting on the shelves for a couple of months.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

tiltedrc has a great deal on the E 8ight right now, almost over $100 less than anywhere else with their discount code, also they are offering half off of the first losi 5000 when purchasing with the E 8ight. Please let them know Burk refered you!
Old 10-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

165 degrees is a "hot" setup I think .... How long was your run ?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spcpicard
I bought and installed the 14t pinion before I even ran my E 8ight. I've been running brushless and lipo for a while in 10th scale and know the importance of not over heating the electronics. I've ran mine twice since I got it on Friday and so far everything is good. With the 14t pinion I maxed out at 165 degrees on the motor and 110 on the esc. I do let the motor cool to 100 degrees after each pack though. Make sure you calibrate the esc with your radio before you run it, I didn't the first time and It caused brake issues. The best results from breaks so far is to set them at 10% and then adjust with your epa to your likings. The stock 30% was way to strong for me.

Both losi 5000's that I recieved were way out of balance, each had a cell under in the 2 volts range and wouldn't even charge on lipo mode. I had to slowly charge them up under NIMH mode untill they recovered enough to charge and balance under lipo. One of the cells in the pack were almost 1 volt off. Balancing them took forever. Losi really needs to make sure they are placing the proper storage voltage in these cells, expecially since these packs are just released, I would have hate to have seen the condition of these packs if they had been sitting on the shelves for a couple of months.
thats really bad that they were that low. Doesnt' that cause permanent damage to the pack via shortened battery life?

Keep us informed on how well they hold there balance after each use.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

does anyone know if a neu motor will fit in the losi mount? i know the losi motor has 4mm and 3mm thread patterns what do the others use?
Old 10-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know the manual said to run the 13 tooth, but my car came with the 16t. I e-mailed losi before I ever ran the car and they said to run the 16t, unless the track demanded a change due to its size. The track I run on is about 150' by 100'. I felt the 16t was a little much so I geared down to a 15t, the motor temp never reached above 185 degrees during my qualifiers as I temped it as soon as the race was over. The failure was due to nothing on my behalf because I followed Losi specifications exactly and when it died it some how built up 221 degrees in less than 5 minutes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.