Like Tree5Likes

Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by stjerno
Steve,

In your setup you post that you use the R3 rear hub .. is that 6313 ?

Stjerno
Yes, that's the one

Also, about your shim question, I put a 0.8mm shim underneath each of the 4 suspension arm ball studs. There is a pretty good article in the recent issue of car action by Joel "Magic" Johnson on Roll Center

Steve Wang
Old 04-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by OVA
Will the R3 graphite shaft drive fit in my R2 xenon w/speed pal tranny?
I think it will actually

Steve Wang
Old 04-22-2004, 11:06 PM
Tech Champion

Also, this is what I've been using as far as gear ratios for 19T motors:

Reedy 19T Quad-Mag: 6.2-6.5
Chameleon 2 pro: 6.3-6.6
Epic Binary (Timing at 35 deg.): 7.4-7.6

This is mostly at SoCal (Tight indoor asphalt track, high bite)

Mike R and Linger will probably have ratios that works good for outdoor larger tracks

Steve Wang
Old 04-23-2004, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Hebiki
not yet. probably this weekend. i ran my R3 with a 9x1.. it was like a bat out of hell.
I can imagine that..
Too much power for me to handle...
Old 04-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by MikeR
Set up is similar but which 19t are you using? Gearing depends on motors
running on Reedy 19T ... medium size (30m straight) outdoor medium bite asphalt high speed track.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by SpeedTech

Mike R and Linger will probably have ratios that works good for outdoor larger tracks

Steve Wang
thanks for the pointer there Steve.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by OVA
Will the R3 graphite shaft drive fit in my R2 xenon w/speed pal tranny?
Good news is that it does fit quite nicely. Bad news is that they both weigh the same at 12 grams
Old 04-24-2004, 12:18 AM
Tech Elite

Last summer I ran a Matrix 19S motor in my R2 and usualy used gearing around 6.2, I believe the Chameleon 2 needs very similar gearing. I found I was often running slightly lower gearing than other people yet had the legs on them at several tracks and never suffered the overheating problems of many people. On a really large track I've gone as low as 5.0 but thats a monster sized track.
It's just a week until the outdoor season starts again and this year my Matrix will be a backup, although I used it briefly about a month ago and it was still mighty powerful. I've got a new Demon 19turn motor to use now, thanks to Gaz It should be a nice strong runner in the Barracuda. I really love running this class with the free drive train of the cuda and a one way up front. Hopefully last years little issues won't pop up again barely finished half the finals I started in the SMTCA rounds

Now I'm sat here waiting like a five year old waits for christmas, I should have a shiney new Black 3PK adio arriving any day now
A week to transfer from sticks to a wheel radio..... let the fun begin
Old 04-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by SpeedTech

Steve Wang
I agree with Steve but at times I gear a tooth higher on the pinion when it's cool outside or the track layout flows.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Herminator

Now I'm sat here waiting like a five year old waits for christmas, I should have a shiney new Black 3PK adio arriving any day now
A week to transfer from sticks to a wheel radio..... let the fun begin
Ok Spashet! You'll love that 3PK. Never ever regreted mine
Old 04-24-2004, 03:03 AM
Tech Adept

Herminator,

Do you have any pics of your Cirrus in the Cuda ?
I'm considering a new ESC and can't deside on the Cirrus or a Nosram Dominator Evolution .. I know the Nosram is smaller and it's red like my Cuda but I like to be different and the Cirrus is not known here in DK

What are other people running in their Cuda's when they have full size servo's in the car ?

The WallBanger
Old 04-24-2004, 03:25 AM
Tech Master

this may of been covered before but never mind, here goes

as the cuda internal ratio is the same as the pro4's, do the cuda diff gears fit by any chance...as you guys probably know about the problem with pro4 ones stripping.

thanks
matt
Old 04-24-2004, 03:29 AM
Tech Master

stjerno

Can i just suggest that before you go and buy a new speedo control based on what it looks like you have a read of the KO VFS 2000 thread as that looks very interesting and well spec'd

I have just recieved mine and although a little bigger than i would have liked with all the tuning possibilities offered i'm a happy man

IMHO the only other speedo worth looking at today is the LRP quantum 2 series (can not remember if the NOSRAM is quantum 1 or 2 based)

but after all that, it's just MY opinion
Old 04-24-2004, 03:47 AM
Tech Elite

The KO is a very nice speedo but it has one major downfall for me, it's not waterproof, which is very important to me. The LRP 2 and Nosram Evo are the same, except the Nosram is red and cheaper.... Both have seem to come across of a problem of not being water proof though plenty of the LRP's on another forum going up in smoke on their first runs in the rain, which is worrying for a speedo advertised as 100% waterproof.

The M-Troniks Cirrus has been very reliable so far, it's barely any bigger than the LRP/Nosram, it's actually a little lower and the actual speedo is smaller but the built in heatsink makes it a touch wider. It's a very adjustable speedo, with frequency, brake profile, acceleration profile, punch all adjustable with just the one button. Setup is incredibly easy too with just one button to press once when you turn it on, move your throttle to full then neutral then brake then neutral and it's all finished.

Here's a pic of it in my Cuda from a couple months ago, since then I've gone to a Futaba 9550 servo so there's even more room. I have a standard KO servo and a KO 297fz reciever along side the speedo in this pic. I'll try and get some new pics soon, with a clearer close up.
Attached Thumbnails Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3-smallertopr2.jpg  
Old 04-24-2004, 03:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by raving-monkey
this may of been covered before but never mind, here goes

as the cuda internal ratio is the same as the pro4's, do the cuda diff gears fit by any chance...as you guys probably know about the problem with pro4 ones stripping.

thanks
matt
The Cuda gears certainly seem to be stronger but the small bevel gears would require a lot of modification to fit on a Pro4, they're mounted in very different ways. The diff gears on the Cuda are a bit too wide I think too. It's a shame that HPI didn't take more than just the gear ratio when copying the Cuda they should of used the same beefyness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.