Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Speed Passion F1 car - The SP1

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Doggone it, guys! You're going to make me buy one of these when I haven't even built my Roche Rapide F104 or my DDrive F103 yet!! I already have 3 FGXs, a couple of F103GTs, and an Exotek F104, too! My wife is gonna kill me!

Scott
Old 05-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If it makes you feel any better my car was traction rolling pretty bad last night. I was at a larger track than the one I went to on Wednesday, and the increased speed at the end of the straight meant the car just immediately flipped.

Working on lowering ride height (body was rubbing really badly so I have ride height up around 6mm just to get it to not rub) and will give it another shot. Lowering ride height on the front of this car is ridiculous.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I know one thing missing for sure, spring rates for the included springs! Solara, can we get the ratings for the stock springs?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Built the car last night, high quality kit, a few things especially for pan car rookie:
1. extra page in the manual indicates 4 of 5x10x1mm spacers to put between rear axle and rear wheel, I can't find any of those. okay to drive without those?
2. that extra page also changed the front wheel's spacer setting, I guess that's the solution, though if I got the front wheel nut tight, the wheel doesn't spin.
3. it's the first kit I've built, that need you to open all the packages at once, then assemble it. All the other 10 kits I've built, I open package one by one and each of them have the part of the whole step.
4. what's the screw needed to mount tamiya front wing? I guess a long flat head M4 screw? with a big nut? any exact size?
5. to mount the rear wing, is that 2 screws with 2 nuts?
It's not on the manual anywhere, and tamiya manual is a bit different, they have front suspension mount to secure front wing, and they use plastic rear plate to mount rear wing.
6. the pivot balls have flashing in them, bigger problem is that, that's the very first step into building the car! very demotivational.
7. plastic for linkage and the rear center part (connecting two plates) are really soft, I used the AE linkage, but can't use the AE center part.
Due to the soft plastic, when the nuts got in, it will rotate inside, making it almost impossible to tighten or loosen it. I ended up cutting the side bit surrounding the nut, and use pliers to hold nuts in place.
8. the front suspension is cool, but it's not very smooth in the spring part, the pivot ball is normal scratchy plastic, and the shaft is some high friction metal.
The rear of the car is pretty much perfectly upgraded in other car's standard. But the front, either telling users to use F104 front, or spend money on upgrades to replace almost every piece of that front suspension.

Last edited by nicholasxuu; 05-10-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Tried searching the thread, anyone know what wheel and tires will work for this? I have a bunch of F104 V2 pits and want to know before I order this car.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nicholasxuu
Built the car last night, high quality kit, a few things especially for pan car rookie:
1. extra page in the manual indicates 4 of 5x10x1mm spacers to put between rear axle and rear wheel, I can't find any of those. okay to drive without those?
Without them the rear will be more narrow than the front. Mine did not come with them either and I plan to use 2mm worth of spacers on both sides of the axle instead.

2. that extra page also changed the front wheel's spacer setting, I guess that's the solution, though if I got the front wheel nut tight, the wheel doesn't spin.
On mine 2 spacers on each side was too much and if you tighten it the wheel will not spin well. For now I've just got 1 spacer on each side but plan to swap this out with metal shims for a better fit.

3. it's the first kit I've built, that need you to open all the packages at once, then assemble it. All the other 10 kits I've built, I open package one by one and each of them have the part of the whole step.
That's odd...I was only opening 2 packages at a time.

4. what's the screw needed to mount tamiya front wing? I guess a long flat head M4 screw? with a big nut? any exact size?
Someone else chime in here? I just used one I had in my spare parts box and didn't measure it.

5. to mount the rear wing, is that 2 screws with 2 nuts?
It's not on the manual anywhere, and tamiya manual is a bit different, they have front suspension mount to secure front wing, and they use plastic rear plate to mount rear wing.
Yup 2 screws with 2 nuts. If you like you can put in some spacers to move the wing back. I put 2mm of spacers between my rear plate and wing.

6. the pivot balls have flashing in them, bigger problem is that, that's the very first step into building the car! very demotivational.
Metal pivots would be better.

7. plastic for linkage and the rear center part (connecting two plates) are really soft, I used the AE linkage, but can't use the AE center part.
Due to the soft plastic, when the nuts got in, it will rotate inside, making it almost impossible to tighten or loosen it. I ended up cutting the side bit surrounding the nut, and use pliers to hold nuts in place.
I had the same problem with the AE pivot on my F1R. The nylon on the lock nuts are just too tight. Run a 3mm tap through the nut first and you won't have this problem.

8. the front suspension is cool, but it's not very smooth in the spring part, the pivot ball is normal scratchy plastic, and the shaft is some high friction metal.
I rolled up a bit of 800 grit sand paper and ran it through the pivots for a couple of seconds and it freed right up.

The rear of the car is pretty much perfectly upgraded in other car's standard. But the front, either telling users to use F104 front, or spend money on upgrades to replace almost every piece of that front suspension.
I didn't do any upgrades on the front end on mine...like any pan car the front ends need some TLC when assembling. But once that is taken care of it is really smooth.

Originally Posted by b20btec
Tried searching the thread, anyone know what wheel and tires will work for this? I have a bunch of F104 V2 pits and want to know before I order this car.
F104 wheels and tires will fit...same ones you used on the V2
Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt

F104 wheels and tires will fit...same ones you used on the V2
Thanks bud, just ordered a tresrey! Sold me V2 recently for this.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I know one thing missing for sure, spring rates for the included springs! Solara, can we get the ratings for the stock springs?
I will have to find out...will get back to you next week. But honestly, I have not use that spring for indoor carpet, I used Tamiya BLACK (hard) spring...I think the stock one is fairly soft...it was intend to be used on FOAM with 200mm setup.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

20 x 4 mm flat head screw is perfect with a lock nut for the front wing.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Solara
I will have to find out...will get back to you next week. But honestly, I have not use that spring for indoor carpet, I used Tamiya BLACK (hard) spring...I think the stock one is fairly soft...it was intend to be used on FOAM with 200mm setup.
I appreciate that! I recommend a 69t 48p or 84t 64p spur. I love the 16 ball stock spur, but its just a tad too big. I put in an 84/30 for the next run.

Another idea is to make shims like CRC makes for their pro strut front end. Long enough to span both screws on each side, then slot them slightly angled in so all you have to do is loosen the screws and snap them in place and snug them down.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default parts

anybody got parts yet.
broken front steering arm and can't find anyone with parts.
also any word on optional motor mount.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:02 AM
Tech Rookie

It looks really great.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotrod1933
anybody got parts yet.
broken front steering arm and can't find anyone with parts.
also any word on optional motor mount.
Tell me what you need and I will get them out to you. They will come out of a kit, so I don't have extras, but it will get you back running again
Old 05-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Tell me what you need and I will get them out to you. They will come out of a kit, so I don't have extras, but it will get you back running again
That's what I call excellent customer service!
Old 05-11-2013, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default parts

pm sent to bp shadow.
i agree offer above what is expected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.