Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Best Engine (speed/torque/fit) for Losi 8ight? >

Best Engine (speed/torque/fit) for Losi 8ight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Engine (speed/torque/fit) for Losi 8ight?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Best Engine (speed/torque/fit) for Losi 8ight?

Looking to replace the stock rtr Mach 427 with new engine. My 8ight is an rtr so i am assuming i will need new (lower) engine mounts? What is the consensus on the best engine for fit/speed for the 8ight? In $200-400 range? Ninja 5 port, Novarossi ?, RB WS7III, Werks, OS? 5-port, 7-port? Model?? Any help would be greatly appreciated? Looking for maybe the top two in your opinions?
Thanks

Last edited by tbone555; 03-21-2007 at 10:51 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Tbone-
What is the track or tracks like you race at?
Do you plan on traveling?
What class do you race in and do you seriously think its the MOTOR thats holding you back from being faster or is it HONESTY HERE(Your driving,lines your taking,Setup or plain skill)
The reason I ask this is if the track isnt all that big and your skill level JUST isnt there yet then buying a expensive FAST motor may be your worst enemy.
Motor's under $250.00 can be fast too.
I know alot of guys that ran tracks up to 170 ft straights with a O.S. VG which is a $149.99 motor.
RB S5 is under $220.00 and a AWESOME motor.
Speedtech RC has a WS7II for $239.99 which is a great BIG TRACK motor.
The O.S. VG and S5 are plenty of motor for MOST tracks.

Les
Old 03-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think the O.S. Vg is great for that car. I have a Novarossi Plus-5 and it was too much motor. I will run the Vg on club races and small to medium tracks, and the Plus-5 on big tracks. The great thing is that for the price of the Novarossi you can get 2 Vg's. You also have to figure what pipe you are planning to use. Im using the Jammin JP-3 for both motors and it works great. I know your going to get alot of diffrent choices from diffrent racers and thats good. Just remember that your tuning abilities will come into play also. O.S. motors are easy to tune while Italian motors require a little more attention. So i guess my 2 choices are the 1-OS vg,and 2-Novarossi P-5x or Plus-5. Hope this helps.
Carl.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Go Tech 5 or 7 port. $199 - $209.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Too much motor? I've never heard of such a thing! I personally like the Ninja BO1A. second would be the O.S. V-SPEC, and third would be an rb ws7II or III.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
Too much motor? I've never heard of such a thing! I personally like the Ninja BO1A. second would be the O.S. V-SPEC, and third would be an rb ws7II or III.
Think about it, he's coming from an RTR. A lot of motors are going to be too much. Too many newbs get hot motors only to break things constantly while driving like crap. Learn to drive first then get a hot motor. Would you put your 16 year old kid in a Pro Street Nova with a blown 454?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Tech Rookie

True. I am pretty new to nitro but have ran some electric over the years. I am running on a medium size track that is usually in good shape. Nice straights, whoops, table top, double. My ability is ok. I don't want to have too much motor, but am getting my tuning down and have read and seen alot and will have some help. Just looking to get out of the 427 not that there is a major problem with it being to slow. I figure when i do the clutch and diffs maybe change out the engine just to give me something to do. Pipe wise, I was leaning toward the ofna jammin jp-3 but am open to other options.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

V-Spec, WS7 III or a Ninja.

Can't go wrong with any of these.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Why dont you just get the same Mach motor if yours is tired? Why change something that isnt broken? Sure it doesnt have the allure of a new Italian or souped up engine, aside from that what do you really want, reliable performance or something that can lead to further problems? You will save money by not having to modify your car and parts wear from a hotter engine. Just putting in my 0.02.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink

tbone - Carl and Les are both right. The OS Vg ($145 - $160) is wonderful on small to medium tracks. The Novas ($289 - $330) are great on big tracks.

Other contenders would be the RB S5 ( 5 port that is nova based ) and the Sportworks .21 V2 (7 port that is like an Italian motor at $180ish).

If I were to buy a brand new motor right now it would be the Sportworks for the bang for the buck.
We have not touched a needle in weeks and it does not get out motored.
It even comes with the full restrictor set. Our shop car has over 7 gallons and it still has incredible pinch.

Good Luck,
TEX
T&T Hobbies - Plano, TX

BTW - The only reason I don't mention the Go motors is because we have never ran them.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex1
BTW - The only reason I don't mention the Go motors is because we have never ran them.
Do yourselves a favor and try one. You'll love it.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Satoch, where do i get info on those engines? thanks.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

An S5 (RB) is great, relativly cheap and will last a long time. If you put the right pipe on it it can also be pretty fast. You might also consider a regular S7 (not the WS7II). These motors are very driveable & super reliable. No mater what motor you get do not underestimate the importants of getting the right pipe for that motor. It does not matter what motor you get if you put the wrong pipe on it.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

There's a thread on Go Tech engines in the nitro engine section. Also at www.racefactorindustries.com and http://www.ofna.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5030
Old 03-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Satoch,
I have to comment on GoTech.
I have 4 guys out of many that buy from me and are experienced racer's.I know they have ran O.S.,Novarossi,RB and Picco Motor's.
They didnt like the Picco's due to the touchy carbs but they did hold up.
A couple of them tried OPS,STS,Gotech,and a list of other motor's.
Out of these 4 experienced guys that have been running nitro for 3+ yrs on a racing level are all saying that Gotech's leak around the bearing.
They have tested and tested the motor's and while fast they are complaining that the casing is too thin or doesnt handle heat as well as other motor's.
Do they need to get a extra casing for break in or just get new bearings?

Les

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.