Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Manufactures Agree To Limited Selection Of Tires For Electric Offroad Nationals >

Manufactures Agree To Limited Selection Of Tires For Electric Offroad Nationals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manufactures Agree To Limited Selection Of Tires For Electric Offroad Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Lars Johnson]To me, it just doesnt make sense how increasing the cost of attending the one national championship race we have, would be good for the hobby.[QUOTE=Lars Johnson]

Amen bro

And to me it just doesnt make sense how combining the stock and mod nats are good for the hobby, but just an oppinion and a little off the subject.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lars Johnson
Randy - I'm just statin' facts, and i agree, i think Proline is missing out on the 1/10th scale market. But who's to tell them that they need to make a Pink/Red equivilent, when they're owning the 1/8th scale market, know what i mean? All in all, in regards to this khaotic thread - To me, it just doesnt make sense how increasing the cost of attending the one national championship race we have, would be good for the hobby.

And for those of you that say you'd "like to see Pro-line guys run only PL tires, and Losi guys only run Losi tires." I wonder how many AE drivers would switch back to Losi, considering they would get plowed at every race if they had to run the current offering of PL rubber....???? Look at EVERY major outdoor and mostly all indoor offroad races in the last 5 years, and tell me what rubber 99% of the Modified A-Main drivers used *cough* REDS and PINKS. The 1% being Pavidis at the Cactus this past year, pretty sure he ran Inside Jobs on his Kyosho 4wd every round of qualifying. And Brownie didnt run Prolines at the Cactus he won in 2004, contrary to what the pics in the magazines would lead you to believe... But it's not just the cactus tho - Midwest Winter Champs, Losi Race, Shootout, Reedy Truck Race.. Any race at Long Island, Minnreg/Lake Park, Tiltyard, Columbus, Indy, Denver, Scottsdale, Tucson, Hot Rod, Albuquerque and a LOT of races in between, the preferred tire by Both teams, is Losi.....

I'd love to see Pro-Line enforce that rule again... it happened at the Cactus a few years back (Story Time!!) -- after day 1 of qualifying, a former AE/PL driver was told by PL that he had to run PL M2 or M3 tires on his B3.. knowing that he wouldnt have a shot in he|| to compete in the mains running PL tires, he went home, broke out a XXX with red tires for qualifying rounds 3 and 4, and proceeded to finish 5th in the Mod 2wd class... Thanks for comin'

I'm not sure you meant to but you just proved a point for me. Why would Pro-Line invest in a class where they dont' have to? No new rubber because they already are "spec tires".

Another example of why I don't think it's good. I was talking to Losi today and they said it can stop companies from bring in "secret tires" like the days of Masami domination and flying in tires. Again, the rule should be you have to submit your tires when qualifying begins and use them. F1 does this, and other sports.

I don't see how you guys miss that limiting tire selection is okay, limiting manufacturers is sponsor suicide.

IF you're sponsorted by somebody they are PAYING you to run it. You can't win, don't take their money and buy tires yourself. Should Losi guys run B4s i they can't win with a Losi?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=DustinR][QUOTE=Lars Johnson]To me, it just doesnt make sense how increasing the cost of attending the one national championship race we have, would be good for the hobby.
Originally Posted by Lars Johnson

Amen bro

And to me it just doesnt make sense how combining the stock and mod nats are good for the hobby, but just an oppinion and a little off the subject.

It's good because we've divided classes up so much that manufacturers dont' want to attend 33 different "nationals."

Stock Nats had 87 entries TOTAL. Meaning the 7 classes in STOCK had about an A-Main for everybody...Winning like that means nothing anymore.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
.....and ROAR hopes this kind of thinking will get them to propose a new tire rule for this annual event that they can all agree on.
Isnt that what has happened the last 2 years, and why this thread was created?

Dawn, you and i have seen eye to eye on some things, and not on some others but honestly, i have no desire to attend any Mod Nats after the Albuquerque Nats. Dont get me wrong - that's one of my favorite tracks, run by an awesome group of people that i love racing with, and any chance i get, i'll go down there and race. With Reds. The tire selection for that race was rediculous. I know that the ABQ club had no choice in the matter, but eliminating the handout rule alltogether was not the right decision by Roar. To me, it was an easy way for Roar to wipe it's hands clean of the issue, as opposed to searching for ideas on ways to make it better. The rule didn't need to be eliminated, just redefined so that you dont end up in a ABQ type of situation, where the exact wrong tire was selected for the surface. My argument all along - see posts #17 & 23...

Derek - we're talking about limiting tire selection for 1 race, not 33. Every other race i mentioned, is not a handout tire race, so there's plenty of opportunity for Proline and Panther to develop a tire to work on an Indy-type of track. Yet they choose not to. Also, those other 33 are non-National Champion Crowning races. The Mod Nats is THE race, that grants a group of drivers the opportunity to run against the worlds' best. Just boggles me as to why the qualifying race for the IFMAR World Champs would have a completely opposite rule than that of the actual World Championships..
Old 08-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

LARS:

"I'd love to see Pro-Line enforce that rule again... it happened at the Cactus a few years back (Story Time!!) -- after day 1 of qualifying, a former AE/PL driver was told by PL that he had to run PL M2 or M3 tires on his B3.. knowing that he wouldnt have a shot in he|| to compete in the mains running PL tires, he went home, broke out a XXX with red tires for qualifying rounds 3 and 4, and proceeded to finish 5th in the Mod 2wd class... Thanks for comin'"

I was pitting with the above mentioned people and when J.G. put the red kicks on it was on like Donkey Kong. lol. Good Times Good Times.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Tech Legend

Default Deciding handout tires for National events

Lars...
At this years stock national, the tire chosen was decided by the fact the manufacture would pay for Scott to come and announce the race...

Had nothing to do with how the tire performs....

Same track hosted regionals earlier, slick red tapers were by far the most popular choice of tire....

Got to be a better way in making tire choice for handouts....

For now

Handout tire choice is`nt decided by how the tire performs for track conditions for the event ...