Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drift Motor Choices

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Drift Motor Choices

I am wanting to get a new motor for my HPI RS4 Pro2. The old one was a 1991 Team TRINITY SPEC 540 27t motor. Im wondering what size motors do what. for example, (of course this may not be anywhere close to correct just an example to see what im looking for) a 27T motor will be more for tight drifting and a 17T motor will be more for longer drifts. I dont know much about motors and am trying to learn. I am wanting a rebuildable brushed motor. eventually i will upgrade to brushless but at the moment im going with brushed. Please help me share your knowledge and not tell me to google it because ive googled my A$$ of and am not getting a good answer.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm guessing, if its asphalt, or carpet, high traction areas, you'd want a 10.5-8.5T brushless. A hardwood, linoleum, polished concrete, probably only needs little power. You want higher power though from what I've read.

Those brushed motors will feel old
Old 02-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

It's polished concrete. My track is almost identical to the Korean drift track i think it's call dragoon? Anyways what turn motor would be best? 17 19 or 27
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm wanting a brushed motor not brushless
Old 02-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think a good 19 will be the best
Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

thats what i was thinking and thanks for giving a straight answer!!!! and for future reference (i know this will open a can of worms) what brushless should i look for? Sensorless or sensored system? what Kv for sensorless and what turn if sensored? i dont have the money for a brushless at the moment but will squirrel away till i can. im not worried about brand name this and that just the specs to look for.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ric-Motor-19x2
If i got this motor, exactly what would i need to have it running in my car?
Old 02-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Don't bother with the brushed motors, the reasons are endless and a quick google will tell you the benefits of using a brushless motor. A 10.5T sensored motor and 60A brushless esc will set you back about $80 from hobyking. This would be the default standard for any drifting setup. I use the following in 4 cars i have, drifter, 10.5 foam tourer and mod 2wd 1/10 buggy and truggy. I surprise a lot of people at the clubs i race at with my cheap setup, nice and fast, super reliable even against gear 3 times as much.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_3250KV.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._10_1_12_.html
Old 02-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
Don't bother with the brushed motors, the reasons are endless and a quick google will tell you the benefits of using a brushless motor. A 10.5T sensored motor and 60A brushless esc will set you back about $80 from hobyking. This would be the default standard for any drifting setup. I use the following in 4 cars i have, drifter, 10.5 foam tourer and mod 2wd 1/10 buggy and truggy. I surprise a lot of people at the clubs i race at with my cheap setup, nice and fast, super reliable even against gear 3 times as much.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_3250KV.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._10_1_12_.html
You may have sold me on this! for the time being i got a cheap brushed motor.