Like Tree4Likes

best 1/8 scale shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 01:57 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default best 1/8 scale shocks?

I'm in the search for 1/8 shocks for a special project.
Had a lot of shocks for 1/10 scale cars from Tamiya TRF, HPI, Hobao and others. But none for 1/8 scale onroad cars so far.
From that experience with 1/10 scale shocks I know there are differences.
Some shocks are smoother than others.
Some shocks are easy to fill and bleed for same rebound left/right. Others are a pain on this.
Some shocks tend to leak some others not.

So what is your experience with 1/8 shocks. Which do you think are the best?
Mugen, Serpent, Shepherd, others?
Thanks for your comment.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by V12
I'm in the search for 1/8 shocks for a special project.
Had a lot of shocks for 1/10 scale cars from Tamiya TRF, HPI, Hobao and others. But none for 1/8 scale onroad cars so far.
From that experience with 1/10 scale shocks I know there are differences.
Some shocks are smoother than others.
Some shocks are easy to fill and bleed for same rebound left/right. Others are a pain on this.
Some shocks tend to leak some others not.

So what is your experience with 1/8 shocks. Which do you think are the best?
Mugen, Serpent, Shepherd, others?
Thanks for your comment.
Mugen shocks are universally appreciated as probably the best 1/8 shocks. You often see them on other brand cars fitted by the drivers.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The new Serpent shocks for the 1/8 989 Viper have been rock solid. Agree the Mugen 1/8 shocks to be the "Gold Standard", but the Serpent shocks have been super easy to work with since I first got them. I have a little trouble with the Mugen shocks when adjusting the rebound.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:23 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Mugen shocks are universally appreciated as probably the best 1/8 shocks. You often see them on other brand cars fitted by the drivers.
I noticed now the Mugen shocks feature the top cover with bleeding hole.
I liked that feature at old HPI shocks because they were super easy to build with correct amount of oil.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:26 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by davidl
The new Serpent shocks for the 1/8 989 Viper have been rock solid. Agree the Mugen 1/8 shocks to be the "Gold Standard", but the Serpent shocks have been super easy to work with since I first got them. I have a little trouble with the Mugen shocks when adjusting the rebound.
Do you mean all the Serpent shocks are easy to work with or just the new 989 shocks?
I heard now the older 977/988 shocks were not perfect. You needed to upgrade the pistons and bottom bushings to the optional orange material.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by V12
Do you mean all the Serpent shocks are easy to work with or just the new 989 shocks?
I heard now the older 977/988 shocks were not perfect. You needed to upgrade the pistons and bottom bushings to the optional orange material.
I am working with the 989 shocks.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool

Mugen Shocks are so consistent. Tell me one person that hasnt used those white springs!!!

Old 07-21-2020, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

I thought the kyosho shocks that came on their high end kits were supposed to be some of the best. May be wrong.
nitrodude and dan_vector like this.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mosquito
I thought the kyosho shocks that came on their high end kits were supposed to be some of the best. May be wrong.
yeah they weren’t bad but you can’t get 1/8 circuit Kyosho kits anymore. So difficult to get. The mugen shocks are probably the best that you can buy these days.
f1reblade likes this.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I am considering mugen 1/8th buggy length rear shocks and springs.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Juglenaut
I am considering mugen 1/8th buggy length rear shocks and springs.
How did we go from 1:8 IC to 1:8 offroad???

V12, as stated, Mugen is the way to go, they set the standard years ago. They are great in every aspect, build quality and performance. Close Second would be Serpent's when built right. But another thing in the EU, the Mugen parts are easier and at times cheaper to get than any other!

Good luck with your project.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Talking

I apologize I actual thought I was in nitro off road.

But yeah I got 1/10 mugen conversion on my scte running on concrete/asphalt
Old 07-29-2020, 05:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
How did we go from 1:8 IC to 1:8 offroad???

V12, as stated, Mugen is the way to go, they set the standard years ago. They are great in every aspect, build quality and performance. Close Second would be Serpent's when built right. But another thing in the EU, the Mugen parts are easier and at times cheaper to get than any other!

Good luck with your project.
So, I run 1/10 scale dirt oval and have been looking for a smoother shock and came across this. Are the Mugen shocks considered big bore or are they the regular body shocks like the older Tamiya TRF, HPI, etc that used to come on 1/10 touring cars? I don't have room to run the big bore stuff. If possible, could one of you measure the outside of a shock body for me?
Old 07-29-2020, 05:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Think of them as regular, but the Springs and such for these are much stiffer / thicker than what you are used to for the TC application. Consider the MTC1 shocks, they are standard TC Shocks also very smooth and reliable. Otherwise perhaps you should look at some XRAY pre-Big Bore shocks. There is a Ton of support for the Xray shocks, and as such much more to pick from if you need to suit the shocks to D/O. Also look at the Progressive inserts available for some shocks, which may help in your D/O application to help with dampening frequency on high bite clay tracks. These are available from other vendors too, but here is the example. These first came out from Fioroni, RB Concept in the 1:8 buggy application. This shows the Low profile shock, which may not fit your bill due to usable shock length lacking and upsetting the chassis.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Think of them as regular, but the Springs and such for these are much stiffer / thicker than what you are used to for the TC application. Consider the MTC1 shocks, they are standard TC Shocks also very smooth and reliable. Otherwise perhaps you should look at some XRAY pre-Big Bore shocks. There is a Ton of support for the Xray shocks, and as such much more to pick from if you need to suit the shocks to D/O. Also look at the Progressive inserts available for some shocks, which may help in your D/O application to help with dampening frequency on high bite clay tracks. These are available from other vendors too, but here is the example. These first came out from Fioroni, RB Concept in the 1:8 buggy application. This shows the Low profile shock, which may not fit your bill due to usable shock length lacking and upsetting the chassis.
Thanks! I've wondered before how the progressive inserts would work on dirt. Is there a generic insert made or are they all designed around a specific shock?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.