Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I dont know what to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Tech Regular

*gets a bull horn n sits right next to rex n says... GET A GT* lol

seriously though, i agree the losi is a much more tunable truck, but i believe fully that the GT is a more stable platform. out of the box the GT wont be as fast or turn on a rail like the losi does, but its definitely more stable. both trucks out of the box, a professional will do better with a losi, but with some work i think you can get more out of a GT. just my $.02.

the GT has held up wonderfully at the BMX track. the only 2 incidences i had there jumping massive air, were once i jumped my truck off the announcers stand and onto the track and popped off a ball cup. 30 seconds to pop it back on and i was gone.

the second one i biffed it upside down in a mud puddle 6" deep.

neither were the trucks fault, and after both i was up and driving in 10 minutes

ive always heard bad things about HPIs durability in their stadium trucks, without any hopups, and ive seen more than a few go in for repairs after simple scuffles with other cars or immobile objects. but that could just be me being weird about HPI.

im an AE fan through and through.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Looking at both the AE and Losi they are both bad ass trucks and built well...now i have to decide what to get...XXXNT or the RC10GT, those are my 2 choices im working with...hmmm what to decide...
Old 10-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Yeah but Beetle, those two things weren't anything that was too harsh on the truck, though. Most of these Nitro trucks can take a beating IMHO, but to be honest, the XXXNT is just flat out the most advanced. It has more adjustability, more stability, and more updated technology than any other truck [that I'm aware of.]

Plus, the GT is a flat out Old design, and should be replaced or updated soon due to the T4 style suspension.

I'm a Losi Guy through and through
Old 10-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Tech Regular

ive been hearing rumors of an updated GT actually. i also hear its not going to be TOO far off from the old GT suspension. i guess time will tell where the truth lies lol

and i agree with you. the losi is the most advanced truck out there, and its amazingly adjustable. and with some tuning, you can get alot more out of the XXX NT than you can the GT, but i think for someone new to nitro you cant beat the GTs simplicity and ease of repair/maintainence. its such a fun and easy truck to wrench on. perfect for someone just getting into nitro.

i think the XXX NT is a perfect second step
Old 10-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by beetlebz
and i agree with you. the losi is the most advanced truck out there, and its amazingly adjustable. and with some tuning, you can get alot more out of the XXX NT than you can the GT, but i think for someone new to nitro you cant beat the GTs simplicity and ease of repair/maintainence. its such a fun and easy truck to wrench on. perfect for someone just getting into nitro.
Can't argue that!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah i will have to agree with you on that one losi is a damn good design and is more up to date looking thats what ill be going with most likely...that truck is bad ass just hope its durable, fast and handles good which im sure it does...
thanks for the replies
Old 10-07-2004, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

The new AE truck will be nowhere close to the current GT..

Both cars have their weak points and strengths; to call one better than another for beginners is a tough call.

The GT is a little easier to work on, but the radio system is terrible when compared to the digital equipment that comes with the Losi truck.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

very true aaron, it is a tough call. but im looking at it strictly from the point of view of someone just getting into nitro. to someone who doesnt or hasnt spent alot of time with an RC car the radio will probably be the last thing (well, the Rx anyway) thought about. i still dont think id know a digital steering servo from a hampster pulling a bell crank. and ive been driving a crap load. im thinking more along the lines of replacement parts for the inevitable beginners mistakes, and forgiving feel (i think the rtr gt is extremely forgiving for beginners as setup at the factory) as well as having a good experience in actually performing the repairs.

i definitely started in the wrong spot and got a chop shop project truck for my beginners ride and while i amazing somehow came out of it with a damn fine truck and a hell of alot of know-how as to the inner workings of an rc car, i can definitely see where anyone else in my shoes would be easily discouraged from the hobby with all the repairs and maintenance required. mine was a wierd obsessive tick i had for some reason, only thing that kept me from chucking it. i could have bought two FT GTs by now with what ive spent, but like i said, it was a weird thing lol

id just like to make sure your first nitro experience is a good one rex
Old 10-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey about the XXXNT what one are we talking about the drake or the sport? thanks- mat
Old 10-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

The Sport is the only one that comes RTR.

The servos aren't digital, but the radio system is..and it's definitely leaps and bounds ahead of the one that comes with the GT.

The Losi truck is a lot easier to drive, especially around a track (whether it's a real race track or something in your backyard).
Old 10-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Tech Regular

bear with me here, i typed a whole post in detail about the two and my computer crashed before i could send it lol

bascially the drake is a kit form of the XXXNT sport, which means you have to build it and it doesnt come with a radio system or engine. it also comes with a bunch of hopped up parts (better than stock) that, you guessed it, adam drake wanted.

the equivalant associated truck is the factory team rc10gt. its the same deal, better parts, no radio, no engine.

the plus side of a kit truck is that you have to build it which makes you intricately aquainted with its inner workings, thus making problems easier to diagnose and making repairs a snap! the down side however, is that the additional cost of the hopped up parts, plus the radio, plus the engine, make it an expensive venture.

figuring 80 bucks for a simple radio, 100 for an engine, they will both run a close to or a tad over 500 bucks to build. the associated factory team rc10gt is a bit cheaper, but not by much.

associated also offers a middle of the road kit. its still a kit you build youself, however its not quite as hopped up as the factory team version. this one is just called the "team truck" versus "factory team". it will shave about, oh, 30 or 40 bucks off the total price. any of the 3 trucks are great choices!

now, the reason most people get the high end trucks in kit form, is because if they are buying such a high end truck, typically they know exactly what engine and radio system they will want for it. i personally wish most compainies offered a whole spectrum of kit trucks, but thats just me. i think its a wonderful experience driving a truck that i built myself.

keep in mind, just because a ready to run truck (which just means its all assembled with most everything you need) does NOT mean it isnt a good truck or that its not worth your time or its cost. a RTR truck just comes with stock parts, a simple radio system, and a middle of the road engine. this is NOT true with the losi XXXNT sport! the sport RTR has an amazing electronics package for an RTR, by JR. very nice stuff. both the GT and the XXNT sport feature simple .15 nitro engines (not competition grade but they are still decent engines).

im assuming with the XXXNT here, but if im wrong aaron or losifromhell will correct me, but with both RTR trucks, there is a full range of upgrade options available to turn either truck into their high end kit counterparts. the beauty of it is, you can upgrade as you feel things need upgrading. if you want more power, you can upgrade to a bigger mill (another word for engine). if you want a smoother ride you can tweak the suspension. if you keep breaking one part, you can get an aftermarket replacement that will hold up to the abuse.

so all in all, unless you know exactly what you want out of a truck, the RTR's really arent a bad idea. they are far more economical, and when laid before me, id have to choose the RTR variants of both trucks to be the ideal first nitro truck. after all, my now mostly FT rc10gt started as an RTR too, and now she is a lean mean turf trashing machine.

i hope my explanations were clear!
Old 10-08-2004, 08:28 AM

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I love my Losi. I have had it for a while and its still going
Old 10-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

The XXX-NT Sport has been track tested quite a bit..

..when Adam can jump the biggest triples at Hemet with a stock RTR truck..you know it's gotta be good!

The worst experience I've had with the Losi RTR truck..was when Mr. Drake put one of his motors and his electronics in one...and beat me with it.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

like physically beat you? like, sent you to the emergency room? lol because i think that would be the ultimate durability test
Old 10-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

FYI Rex, the fuel for a car is a different blend than the fuel for a plane. A plane gets lots of airflow and pretty much runs at constant speed where a car is pretty sealed and is on and off power much more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.