Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CEFX 2011

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sprintcarracer
Looks like you painted the edge of your chassis. What kinda paint did you use and did you brush it on.
I painted the edge with a paint pen I bought at Walmart. I can't remember the brand but they had a few different colors, I went with purple to with the rest of my car.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avink007
My new Evo. Just upgraded from the previous Evo chassis, kept with the TOP suspension. Tamiya all black shocks, Xray turnbuckles, Aeromax ECS for a 416/417, SpecR rear gear diff. I redrilled and tapped the bulkheads to take a 3mm screw for the upper screws instead of the 2.6mm threaded screws. Not too many parts left from the original Photon. Should be good to go. It was a fun build... Snowbirds are getting closer!
Looks good!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by haywood
Bring it to MMR on the 15th! Let do battle!
I'd love to but I'll be in Chicago.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

Been a bit but we finally recieved in some of our long awaited items:

#1 - Griffin 12 Ball Stud King Pins - Instead of using the upper eyelets and fighting with the fit and play that can make the car inconsistant, you can use these with a standard ball cup.

#2 - Griffin 10 Ball Stud King Pins - Same deal but longer for the long AE springs or for use with spring buckets and large diameter springs.

#3 - Griffin Hinge Pins - For use with our new 0 and 5/10 Blocks.

#4 - Griffin 12 Offset Axles - Just like the inlines we currently use on our 1/10 oval and WGT cars, these precision front axles tighen to the king pin for no slop and no flex from the graphite steering arm.

I'm getting these loaded up to the shopping site and they will be available immediatly shipping Monday!!
Attached Thumbnails CEFX 2011-griffin-12-king-pin.jpg   CEFX 2011-griffin-hinge-pin.jpg   CEFX 2011-griffin-12-off-set-axles.jpg   CEFX 2011-griffin-10-king-pins.jpg  
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Josh, I have a quick question regarding the Griffin 0* caster blocks. I like how these feature multiple upper arm positions to change the front rollcenter. Do you ever use the 0* blocks for 12th scale? Or are they predominantly used for WGT?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

James - The 0's are generally for WGT and our 1/10 and 1/12 oval cars. I would like to try them in 1/12 on-road also but the main problem is the fit under the body. You really have to run 5's just to get the body to sit right.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:35 AM
Tech Master

Here's a few more new items:

2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 and 4.0mm ride height spacers for the R5 front ends cut from graphite. Sold in sets or seperatly.

I don't remember if I posted a pic of the WGT hub or not but that's on it's way in stock also.

We also added several new Snowbirds Edition chassis for our 1/10 oval cars and have been working on cleaning up/restructuring the speed shop.

Also, reduced prices on all Speed Passion motors and speed controls @ www.cefxspeedshop.com.

Time for work!
Attached Thumbnails CEFX 2011-griffin-10-right-hub.jpg   CEFX 2011-griffin-bulkhead-spacer-set-1.jpg   CEFX 2011-griffin-bulkhead-spacer-set-2.jpg  
Old 01-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hello Josh,

I like the innovative designs - order placed. Also, when will the Z4 hubs and mounted rims be available. Will we need to purchase a special tire truer adaptor for the new rear rim design?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Carl - Hubs shipping from supplier today. Rims are in stock and being sent out for mounting but it takes a while to ream 10,000 rims..lol.. We didn't want to mess with loose bearings in the front wheels so we made them under size and are reaming every one. Yes, the rear will need a different adapter. I modified a 1/10 adapter but we don't have the new ones we are making in stock yet. I will see if I can do something about making an adapter to slide on the standard Hudy 1/12 so it can be a temp fix.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:35 AM
Tech Regular

Three weeks to the start of Snowbirds practice

Shakedown of my Griffin 10 went very well. Booked in for GT as a second class at the January meeting at Ardent. Will get me some more tracktime with both the car and blinky 13.5

Got a new shell sprayed up for the 'Birds, and making some time next weekend to get car and kit ready. Packing will need to wait until after that Ardent meeting. Thankfully I've done it enough times to know what fits where

Will take a look through the cool new bits tonight
Old 01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Carl - Hubs shipping from supplier today. Rims are in stock and being sent out for mounting but it takes a while to ream 10,000 rims..lol.. We didn't want to mess with loose bearings in the front wheels so we made them under size and are reaming every one. Yes, the rear will need a different adapter. I modified a 1/10 adapter but we don't have the new ones we are making in stock yet. I will see if I can do something about making an adapter to slide on the standard Hudy 1/12 so it can be a temp fix.
Thanks Josh.. just an observation? Do you think mounting a front rim on a tire truer widens the bearing spacer causing the bearing to wobble?

Is the need for an adaptor on the Hudy 1/12 arbor because the rim offset positions the rim too far left and the throw on the cutting blade does not go that far? or does the rim design prevent the rim from sitting flush on arbor?

Please share your 1/12th Griffin in-line chassis carpet set-up. Also, for tires can you post some guidance on tire selection... i see some interesting compounds. (i.e. pink/magenta combo, gray/black combo)... also, what are the rim diameters? ROAR max limit?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Josh,

Can I use the 2011 Evo steering rack parts (18109 & 18110) on my Photon Evo? I have a bunch of Griffin parts in my shopping cart but I want to add these if they will work.

Thanks in advance.
-Jon
Old 01-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Mark - Great to hear you'll be coming to the Birds! If you need anything, just let me know.

Carl - I don't think so because most of the tires that have the wobble problem/loose fit are from the front bearing. The rear bearing is ok and that's why the tires run true on the truer and then wobble on the car (My .02). The new rear rims just have the big offset that does move them very close to not truing the inside edge but the main issue is the ID - Instead of the wheel sitting on the flange bearing shoulder it sits on a 14mm shoulder. Also - I have actually never ran the inline car. My car from IIC was the standard car from the year before that I had won the previous IIC, back/back Snowbirds and ROAR Nats plus Cleveland. I've heard Mike Ivy is really happy with his inline car so maybe he can clue us in on his set-up. I will also check with Pete D since he was extremely quick and ran 3rd in 13.5 at IIC. Rims are 37mm front and 38mm rear. The combo tires are something that I've always liked to create "in between" type tires where you could run a soft tire with a firm outer edge to prevent peeling but still have grip.

burgboys - Not without modification. The steering rack sits on the 10mm standoffs that the graphite top deck mounts on with the origional Evo. You would have to drill holes in the chassis (26mm from center to center) and run an additional 2.5mm+ of spacers under the standoffs in order to clear the top deck. I hope this helps.... Oh, the holes would need to be drilled 16mm (c to c) back from the rear screw of the front bulkheads.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano

Please share your 1/12th Griffin in-line chassis carpet set-up. Also, for tires can you post some guidance on tire selection... i see some interesting compounds. (i.e. pink/magenta combo, gray/black combo)... also, what are the rim diameters? ROAR max limit?
I would give you mine but there are a couple problems.

1. I am currently running on some seriously WORE OUT carpet. I have had to change just about everything to find something to work on this stuff but I'm finally figuring it out. Car was fantastic last time.

2. I'm doing some weird stuff (as usual)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey Carl,and Josh

I've bee running the inline setup for quite sometime now with very good results. The class Im currently running is 1/12th 13.5 boosted.

The car feels more stable on high bite very easy to drive. Its has a bit more corner speed and transitions very well through chicanes.Prop's to Josh, I love the car!!! One of the best car's I've driven!!!

I posted my current setup in pdf form. It works well on low bite to high bite conditions with minimal changes to the car.

Hope This Helps.
Mike

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Thanks Josh.. just an observation? Do you think mounting a front rim on a tire truer widens the bearing spacer causing the bearing to wobble?

Is the need for an adaptor on the Hudy 1/12 arbor because the rim offset positions the rim too far left and the throw on the cutting blade does not go that far? or does the rim design prevent the rim from sitting flush on arbor?

Attached Thumbnails CEFX 2011-screenshot_369.jpg  
Attached Files

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.