Like Tree4Likes

looking to dabble in nitro

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 10:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default looking to dabble in nitro

Hello RC Tech world,

I have been in to RC off and on for the better part of 20 years, but its all been electric.
I have a decent fleet of electric off road vehicles both 2WD and 4WD.
I am not partial to any one brand. Ive even had good luck with cheapo off brand vehicles, hah.
I have not kept up with the RC stuff though, so here I am asking

All my stuff now is 1/10 scale, so I would like to look in to 1/8 scale

Anyways....
Since I would like to start to dabble in the nitro side of things so I was wondering if you guys would be able to make me some suggestions on what to read up on and maybe purchase.
I wont be racing, and no hard bashing.
I will drive it on the dirt and jumps and pretend Im racing and stuff and pretend im a good driver, but yeah, no racing for me.
I dont need the latest and greatest, but dont need a pile of crap either.

What do you guys think you could suggest to me?
I like trucks and truggies, not super in to buggies at this moment, allthough i do have some e-buggies, hah.
I like the idea of 4WD as well.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had a losi 8ight-t rtr for awhile and it treated me well. Only things that ever went on it were the pull starter and clutch bearings. Doesn't have the greatest engine or servos out there or the tunability of a kit but it's enough for someone getting into 1/8 nitro.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JakeS924
I had a losi 8ight-t rtr for awhile and it treated me well. Only things that ever went on it were the pull starter and clutch bearings. Doesn't have the greatest engine or servos out there or the tunability of a kit but it's enough for someone getting into 1/8 nitro.
that is one i was looking at after I typed up my post, hah.
There seems to be a pretty good deal on the rtr right now on sale.

If I went that route, I could sell the radio and receiver as I already have a really nice Futaba.
But just looking at the truggy, there are some upgrades i think I would need right off the bat. Like new shocks from the looks of it.
I dont need a whizbang engine either, so I didnt mind that part.
But it could be nice to just upgrade stuff as time went on.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Im also keeping an eye on the for sale area here, but dang its tough to make much sense of that area when you are not looking for one very specific thing.
Thats another reason i made this post, so that i could maybe pick up some vehicles I could search for in there.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2019, 08:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by morvlorv
that is one i was looking at after I typed up my post, hah.
There seems to be a pretty good deal on the rtr right now on sale.

If I went that route, I could sell the radio and receiver as I already have a really nice Futaba.
But just looking at the truggy, there are some upgrades i think I would need right off the bat. Like new shocks from the looks of it.
I dont need a whizbang engine either, so I didnt mind that part.
But it could be nice to just upgrade stuff as time went on.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Im also keeping an eye on the for sale area here, but dang its tough to make much sense of that area when you are not looking for one very specific thing.
Thats another reason i made this post, so that i could maybe pick up some vehicles I could search for in there.

Thanks!
Not sure how big of jumps you'd be doing but I was sending my rtr around 30-40 feet off a wood ramp completely stock and nothing ever happened. Once I had the cap come partially off but that was due to me running into a wall. The things a tank, I was thoroughly surprised how well it held up. Another plus with the 8ight series is parts, everyone sells them.
morvlorv likes this.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Tech Regular

i also found a Team C TR8T ready to run that is about $20 cheaper than the losi.
I have a couple 1/10 team c buggies and I like them, and have no problems getting parts online.
The only problem is, the site doesnt give many specifics on the kit. like what engine, or any other parts.
Think that would be comparable to the losi?
Old 06-08-2019, 11:04 PM
Tech Initiate

i also found a Team C TR8T ready to run that is about $20 cheaper than the losi.
I have a couple 1/10 team c buggies and I like them, and have no problems getting parts online.
The only problem is, the site doesnt give many specifics on the kit. like what engine, or any other parts.
Think that would be comparable to the losi?
The thing I've found with nitro is you should probably always stay within the main brands you think of when you think of rc. I had two nitro redcat cars, one being a $370-420 (depending on where you bought it) 1/8 truggy, and there was no comparison. I could never get the redcat to run right and when it did I broke something every time I used it. I also bought a tmaxx that had barely been used on Craigslist and the thing was a slob. Doubled my money in a week and never looked back.
I was out of rc for over a year and got back into it because I bought my 8ight-t. Watching a channel like botajell made a world of a difference too, especially as he made a few vids on the rtr specifically. He broke literally everything down and made it very easy to understand anything you could ever wonder about nitro.
That being said, I still have my rtr although it doesn't get used much. I bought a used ae rc8t3.1 with an incredible engine and it's a monster but I also have double into it as I do my losi. 1/8 nitro is one of those things you can't cheap out on or it'll come back to bite you. Do it right the first time and it'll pay off every time you're smelling nitro instead of bringing it back in to replace a broken part.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

What fuel u plan on running
Hobbyking.com has a few things at a good price
.21 or bigger
morvlorv likes this.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 116 (99%+)

I wouldn't dabble into 8th scale if you’re not going to at least club race. Ready to runs are all trash.
Dane and token like this.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BIGTIME
I wouldn't dabble into 8th scale if you’re not going to at least club race. Ready to runs are all trash.

so do you think 1/10th scale would be better?
I was thinking 8th scale for the added durability.
I would love to drive it on a track, but i dont think that there are any nitro tracks near me in utah.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 116 (99%+)

Are there any Rc tracks near you?
Old 06-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

I would suggest Losi: 8IGHT-T Nitro RTR: 1/8 4WD Truggy: Losi (LOS04011)
Almost everything you need in the box, its plenty of durable, and plenty of support.

If you're not gonna race, take a look at some of the other models. Losi: The leaders in RC car and truck innovation and design.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BIGTIME
Are there any Rc tracks near you?
there are two indoor tracks within a half hour of me.
One dirt the other carpet.
They are 10th scale only and electric only. Sort of a bummer.
But there are plenty of dirt lots around and I live next to the mountains so a lot of places to drive in the foothills.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Like I've previously said, I 100% recommend the 8ight-t rtr. It's no slouch for a ready to run, definitely nothing like a full race kit like my current truggy, but it's plenty for someone getting into 1/8 nitro. Especially if you're rarely going to be on a track and will be recreationally using with jumps here and there, it's the perfect vehicle.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

so do you think 1/10th scale would be better?
I was thinking 8th scale for the added durability.
I would love to drive it on a track, but i dont think that there are any nitro tracks near me in utah.
where are you located in Utah?
Old 06-11-2019, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 8ight-t_sbs

where are you located in Utah?
a hop skip and a jump north of salt lake city

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.