Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:41 AM
Tech Master

I would like to thank Steve UK and Johnny Wishbone for their help ! The ESC seems silly fast indeed.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Tech Regular

Default Whoop!

I'm finally getting there after a number of set backs.

I'm running a GM 10.5 in a WCE Cyclone on a
track with a fairly long straight and tight infiled and used the following:

FDR 7.03
Timing 55
Start RPM 7000
End RPM 25000
No Boost

I was struggling for grip on old tyres (not a problem before as there wasn't as much speed!) and was over shooting apex's. But even having never completed 1 lap that I was truly happy with, my fastest lap was only a 10th shy of my fastest ever and I did more of them!

Once I fit a new pair of tyres and get used to the extra speed I can feel my 19 lapper drawing closer

Awesome performance and the motor never got hotter than 62*C!!

If anything, the car was a little sluggish out of the corners and when accelerating hard compared to the top speed by the end of the straight. I think my next step is to go down 1 pinon to 7.24 FDR and maybe up the start RPM to 8500 incase this is bogging the motor down.

Last edited by dvaid852456; 10-13-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Kinetic Meltdown

Well, this is was second week running the Kinetic speed control in my sedan and while I was taking a few practice laps the thing caught fire spewing out large flames and a ton of smoke...I cant figure out why this happened considering last race week I was running the exact setup with temps in the range of 140-150. I was running a LRP 13.5 with advanced timing set to 6.. I have no clue why this occurred, I've been running Novak speedcontrols for the past 15 years, from the DUSTER, CYCLONE, GTX, GTB with no problems. I've followed all the recommended setup procedures in the manual and what has been mentioned on here by the Novak Tech Admin.

A little bit of insight on the cause of this would be great, has anyone else encountered such an issue?

Luckily nothing else was destroyed... Strange.

Cheers

Edward Pickering..
Old 10-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
Well, this is was second week running the Kinetic speed control in my sedan and while I was taking a few practice laps the thing caught fire spewing out large flames and a ton of smoke...I cant figure out why this happened considering last race week I was running the exact setup with temps in the range of 140-150. I was running a LRP 13.5 with advanced timing set to 6.. I have no clue why this occurred, I've been running Novak speedcontrols for the past 15 years, from the DUSTER, CYCLONE, GTX, GTB with no problems. I've followed all the recommended setup procedures in the manual and what has been mentioned on here by the Novak Tech Admin.

A little bit of insight on the cause of this would be great, has anyone else encountered such an issue?

Luckily nothing else was destroyed... Strange.

Cheers

Edward Pickering..
My first Kinetic suffered this fault. No idea what caused it. The temps were fine and performance was fine, settings were conservative and no where near stressing motor or speedo. No warning, it just let go, complete meltdown. I was lucky not to loose receiver and cause any damage to the chassis. Touch wood, my second has been fine.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
My first Kinetic suffered this fault. No idea what caused it. The temps were fine and performance was fine, settings were conservative and no where near stressing motor or speedo. No warning, it just let go, complete meltdown. I was lucky not to loose receiver and cause any damage to the chassis. Touch wood, my second has been fine.
I had this same thing happen as well. Novak had a new one in my hands within a week. No idea what caused it.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcannon409
I had this same thing happen as well. Novak had a new one in my hands within a week. No idea what caused it.
My first one stopped right before the mains after only three 6-minute qualifeirs mixed with 10-minutes of practice. No fires but stopped working. I have strapped in the 2nd one and will see what happens tonight!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Same here - even in Australia a replacement was sent out within a couple of weeks. The service docket claimed multiple mosfet failures, which must have caused the flaming speedy. New one has been going fine so far.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leithal
Same here - even in Australia a replacement was sent out within a couple of weeks. The service docket claimed multiple mosfet failures, which must have caused the flaming speedy. New one has been going fine so far.
Yes, same explanation I had. I wish it would not have happened, but Novak was amazing in taking care of the issue.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dangerwr
My first one stopped right before the mains after only three 6-minute qualifeirs mixed with 10-minutes of practice. No fires but stopped working. I have strapped in the 2nd one and will see what happens tonight!
Well I have learned to troubleshoot a switch. Geez! Never would have thought a switch to go out before the ESC on the first run. I ordered my 2nd Kinetic for the Durango and it had the same problem as the 1st after the first run. I was using the original switch from the 1st ESC. Switched the switches and BOOOM! Everything worked fine.

I am no seasoned vet by any stretch of the imagination but this combo has been the best I have ever run. Smooth, fast and cool. I can smell some of the other guys Durango after the heat. I stay about 135F on the motor. ESC is rarely 110F. Batteries as cold as the room.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Fire and Smoke

Had exactly the same happen to my first one. I had done 2 practice runs, temps all fine. 2 minutes into 1st race lots of smoke and flames. 1 melted Kinetic, 1 melted receiver, and 1 very smelly car.

Am now on my second and so far so good. Has survived 6 full runs and 1 final.

After the first one I have been fairly conservative with my settings and gearing but now would like to find a bit more speed. Have tried the Ballistic 13.5 and also the X12 13.5. Does anyone have a good setup for either of these motors. Track has a 45 metre straight and fast sweeper then a fairly technical infield.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Neil
Old 10-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

So, just got off the phone w/Novak Technical Support, and STILL have a problem they could not address (but they are still working on it).
They suggested coming on here and seeing if anyone else had (or knew how to fix) this problem.

My novalink software updater does not work. Every time I click the updater icon from the novalink screen, a small dialog box blinks once extremely quick (like less than a second) and goes away. The guy at Novak said, "It's acting like there's a phantom folder somewhere."
That's it.

Any ideas?

Last edited by DIALED; 10-15-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

is this on a laptop or your home computer, if its a laptop, bring it sunday and I'll help you. also I think I have what I did in a email to Charlie, I'll see if I can find it and PM it to you.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Is there a maximum "end RPM" value in the Kinetic? If so, what is it?
Old 10-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Is there a maximum "end RPM" value in the Kinetic? If so, what is it?
I wondered the same thing, I tried a input of 30,000 and it accepted it, when i hook up the novalink I don't get the rpm out of range screen so max must be higher
Old 10-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
I wondered the same thing, I tried a input of 30,000 and it accepted it, when i hook up the novalink I don't get the rpm out of range screen so max must be higher
It's 35,000, just read it from the mouseover descriptions.

Next question: What is "the maximum possible motor timing advancement at full throttle"? I'm looking for a timing value here, along with a "ramp" or "feed" value to get an idea of how quickly timing is added at full throttle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.