Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Pro 4 Tweak Mod

I hate to have to flog the "tweak mod" horse one more time, especially after zombies posted all of those close-up pics, but I don't understand whether the counter-sunk screws get o-rings and cone washers.

Is it just the steering post screws that get o-rings and cone washers?

Sorry guys!

Oh, one more thing... my BMI 3mm lower chassis is slightly bowed. It looks to me like the center post connecting the upper and lower deck may be too long and could have had something to do with the lower decks shape. How bad of a problem is this? The center of the lower deck is about 1mm below its front and rear tips.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CPatrick
I hate to have to flog the "tweak mod" horse one more time, especially after zombies posted all of those close-up pics, but I don't understand whether the counter-sunk screws get o-rings and cone washers.

Sorry guys!

Oh, one more thing... my BMI 3mm lower chassis is slightly bowed. It looks to me like the center post connecting the upper and lower deck may be too long and could have had something to do with the lower decks shape. How bad of a problem is this? The center of the lower deck is about 1mm below its front and rear tips.

Thanks!
just the steering post gets the o-ring and washers.

remove the center post not really needed. don't know of anyone not even Hara used them...The BMI chassis is stiff enough you'll not need them.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Protoform G6

Thanks zombies!

Is anyone using the Protoform Pontiac G6 with their Pro 4? I have two of these, and it looks like I'll have to take a dremel tool to the front shock towers in order for the body to fit as it should.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CPatrick

Sorry guys!

Thanks!
Make sure the motor mount with the bearing cap on it goes between the upper and lower deck. Also make sure teh steering posts fit under ther properly. You will probably find they dont.

This causes teh chassis to be prestressed so if you hit something, it will tweak very easily. My pro4 did this until I filed down the motor mount cap and the steering posts so they fit properly on teh car. After that if I hit somethning it didnt tweak the car horribly.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rc-zombies
have you done the upper deck tweak mod...?
I have a 2005 spec Pro4, had the same problem with my first Pro4 aswell but just can;t figure out if I am doing something wrong. Very Very Frustrating.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I haven't had any real problems, and here's what I do. I assemble everything, but leave the upper deck off. I put it on, tighten the screws so they stay in and are as close to the upper deck as possible, but don't put any force on it. Then I just set the car on a flat surface, and push down hard on both ends of the upper deck, and tighten the screws at the same time. I get a tweak free car that seems to hold up very well. The upper deck mod has been done, so I don't know how well this will work without it.
-Josh
Old 10-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

hey i just found somthing out and i wanted to see if anyone else had noticed this because i havent seen a post about it or a pic.

if you have a personal with its tabs then your in luck. i was putting my PT back on after the servo tape wore out and i noticed that the tabs are equal spaced to the two holes on the topdeck that go into the steering rack posts. so if your tired of the tape and dont really care about the smal change in your CG height then jsut screw it down and never have to worry about tape again. noi am not to sure how well it works if you ahve the o rings and cone washes mod on there. but since this is my carpet car i really dont need the flex so it can go right down. but hey i think it would stuff work with the oring mod, just under the oring
Old 10-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G2B Anthony
My Pro4 with Tekin G9 plus purple heat sink & Tekin Receiver
r u using 9550?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Default thrust bolt n t-nut

hi...

will AE T-Nut & Thrust Bolt (6575) for tc3 fit the HPi diff? do i need spacers or anything to fit them in?

thx in advance..
Old 10-19-2005, 06:09 AM
Tech Regular

yes it does I use them on my car do a search for dif mod in this thread fo cad drawing on how to do it right
Old 10-19-2005, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by khole
hi...

will AE T-Nut & Thrust Bolt (6575) for tc3 fit the HPi diff? do i need spacers or anything to fit them in?

thx in advance..
Yes, with no mods.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Any advice on proper installation and centering of the ackermann plate on the Pro4.

Im thinking it might be a source of the problems im having with my Pro4's as no matter what changes I make to the suspension, it doesnt get rid of the tweak the car has.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2005, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dontfeelcold
Any advice on proper installation and centering of the ackermann plate on the Pro4.

Im thinking it might be a source of the problems im having with my Pro4's as no matter what changes I make to the suspension, it doesnt get rid of the tweak the car has.

Thanks
The steering plate (ackermann plate) assembly is self-centering. You just need to make sure the steering turnbuckles are the same length.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fjm9898
hey i just found somthing out and i wanted to see if anyone else had noticed this because i havent seen a post about it or a pic.

if you have a personal with its tabs then your in luck. i was putting my PT back on after the servo tape wore out and i noticed that the tabs are equal spaced to the two holes on the topdeck that go into the steering rack posts. so if your tired of the tape and dont really care about the smal change in your CG height then jsut screw it down and never have to worry about tape again. noi am not to sure how well it works if you ahve the o rings and cone washes mod on there. but since this is my carpet car i really dont need the flex so it can go right down. but hey i think it would stuff work with the oring mod, just under the oring
Yea I can second that, the holes are just in the right place, and it mounts really neatly. Only problem (possibly) is that the PT then has 2 layers of carbon fibre to get to the timing beam, although at my club that's not a problem as we use a timing bridge where the cars pass underneath the loop.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fjm9898

sorry to burst your bubble...
I posted pics of the PT mounted on the upperdeck when the car came out a year ago..
I've lost a lap or two with it mounted up high. Like Skill said the 2 CF will interfere with the timing loop.
Attached Thumbnails Hpi Pro 4-pro4-transponder-002.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.