Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Aftermarket clutches >

Aftermarket clutches

Aftermarket clutches

Old 07-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Aftermarket clutches

I was looking at the aftermarket clutches today on amain such as the fioroni, werks and ascendancy. I wanted to know which one was better if anyone has any of these because I need a new clutch and was looking into these. Also, what is the advantages of having either a 4 shoe or 3 shoe setup. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

The Werks and Ascendancy clutches are very similar, but the Werks clutch is much more durable. A 4 shoe clutch gives you more tuning options opposed to the 3 shoe clutches.

The problem with the 3 shoe clutch is that, you have to run the same shoe and same spring on all three shoes. If you use 2 carbon shoes and 1 aluminum shoe, you will throw the balance and wear pattern of the clutch off. This will eventually lead to inconsistent performance. With the 4 shoe clutch, you can run different shoes and springs opposite of each other. For example, you can run 2 carbon shoes and 2 aluminum shoes to keep the clutch balanced. It really just comes down to tuning options.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Adept

iv had the fioroni sliding clutch and liked it, it will last along time (and im talking all season no problem) i just had sum problems with the springs. and iv had the werks clutch and the only way i could get the motor to run good was to put the stiff spring on it so i didn't get a clutch bog. haven't tried the ascendancy yet. but i have been running the m2c 4 shoe with regular hard shoes &.09 springs and it works real good and the reg. hard shoes will last about 3 gal.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

M2C Variable weight 4 shoe set up for me as well!

Everything here has free shipping as well
http://twisted-rc.com/shop/product_i...roducts_id=190
Old 07-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
The Werks and Ascendancy clutches are very similar, but the Werks clutch is much more durable. A 4 shoe clutch gives you more tuning options opposed to the 3 shoe clutches.

The problem with the 3 shoe clutch is that, you have to run the same shoe and same spring on all three shoes. If you use 2 carbon shoes and 1 aluminum shoe, you will throw the balance and wear pattern of the clutch off. This will eventually lead to inconsistent performance. With the 4 shoe clutch, you can run different shoes and springs opposite of each other. For example, you can run 2 carbon shoes and 2 aluminum shoes to keep the clutch balanced. It really just comes down to tuning options.
The Ascendancy is a 4 shoe..I use it and love it!
http://ascendancyrc.com/Clutch_Kits.php
Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Happy Ascendancy user here. 3 gallons and counting ...
Old 07-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I use Fioroni Turbo Sliders. I love them! Some people hate them. It is really all personal preference when it comes to clutches. I would say give a couple a try and see how you like them.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Ascendancy Clutch system is great. Moved from 3 shoe to this and was changing shoes every gallon with the 3 shoe. Over 2 gallons on same shoes for ascendancy. Easy to tune, great performance too
Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Tech Addict

The Ascendancy clutch pins are made from a really soft metal and become gouged from the clutch shoes pivoting. Next time you rebuild an Ascendancy clutch, look at the pins. Other than that they seem fine, but that's why I prefer Werks over Ascendancy.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
The Ascendancy clutch pins are made from a really soft metal and become gouged from the clutch shoes pivoting. Next time you rebuild an Ascendancy clutch, look at the pins. Other than that they seem fine, but that's why I prefer Werks over Ascendancy.
CJ,

Thanks so much for the input on this. You are only the 2nd person to inform us of this problem. As I told your father we got with the MFG of the clutch as soon as you told us about it and the pins have since been changed.

Jason
Old 07-14-2010, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Let me ask a provocative question - why aftermarket clutches? Typically, the kit manufacturers (at least the good ones) know what they're doing...

I've tried a few clutches on my MBX-6 - I always come back to the stock setup (3 aluminium shoes + 1.0mm springs + stock bell). Others might have better lifespan, but the feeling of the mugen shoes + springs + clutch as a combo is simply unbeatable. I'm sure the Losi/AE/Durango/Serpent/Kyosho clutches are just as good (deliberately leaving xray out of the shortlist due to goofy bearing dimensions that force you to spend more)...

Paul
Old 07-14-2010, 06:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tried lots of different clutches up to now and here are my finds!!!

Werks - couldn't get it to work right...it run for 5 minutes and then somehow the spring got softer or the shoes bite harder and was bogging down low. Plus it's a pita to work on...needs thread lock on the screw. Stay away!!!

Fioroni slider - This one i bought because of the reviews, but honestly never worked right. It was always bogging down low no matter what springs i used. I don't care what others say on this, i tried different shoes and springs and all, NOTHING worked.

Other fioroni clutches need shoe replacing every gallon.

3 shoe setups AE, Xray have good clutches but 3 shoe configuration is OLD. Very good but OLD.

4 shoe setups are the best IMHO, like Losi, M2C and ascendancy.

I have tried the ascendancy and it's by far the best i have tried up to now.
Same goes for Losi.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Werks is coming out w/ a new clutch, the Werks Pro Clutch and will continue to sell the Werks Power Clutch that's currently available on Amain. Both are 4 shoe clutches, the new one being a traditional spring style clutch, the older using a pressure plate.

I have the older clutch system and will be using it again now that there's a fix to the clutch nut backing off (nylock clutch nut) that was a problem w/ the first generation of Power clutches. And I'll be using the new clutch system as well for the first time this upcoming weekend. I'm looking forward to not worrying about clutches. No amount of engine tuning will overcome a bad clutch setup.

The new Werks Pro Clutch should be available on Amain next week.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

My buddy and i have been using the Asendancy clutch all season now, and we love it, the shoes last forever! I just bought another for my truggy, very adjustable and way smoother then my AE clutch system. I myself have not had a problem with the shoe pins wearing.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Let me ask a provocative question - why aftermarket clutches? Typically, the kit manufacturers (at least the good ones) know what they're doing...

I've tried a few clutches on my MBX-6 - I always come back to the stock setup (3 aluminium shoes + 1.0mm springs + stock bell). Others might have better lifespan, but the feeling of the mugen shoes + springs + clutch as a combo is simply unbeatable. I'm sure the Losi/AE/Durango/Serpent/Kyosho clutches are just as good (deliberately leaving xray out of the shortlist due to goofy bearing dimensions that force you to spend more)...

Paul
That's actually a fair question, and not really provocative. Speaking purely for myself, I find the conventional 3 shoe clutch to be a bit of a PITA to make changes to, what with the way the springs have to be notched into the clutch nut, etc... Very hard on nerves and fingers (ouch!)

I actually liked the Losi clutch for making it easier to access, but the shoes seemed to wear quickly. I'll be trying this one soonly:

http://www.fioroni.com/inglese/news.asp?ID=106

I know what you mean about the Mugen clutch though, the stock one works great.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.