Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to ID a Car or How to tell what's missing

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default How to ID a Car or How to tell what's missing

First, let me say hello to all, since I'm new here and relatively new to the whole rc car "thing".

My son, a while ago, picked up a RC Car from a garage sale for $5. It was missing parts and at the time we never really took the time to go over it.

Now my son has a new RC Car and watching him play with it (and taking a turn at the wheel from time to time) has made me think about seeing if I could get that old car running.

Here's my problem though... I have no idea what kind it is.

I'm assuming it's an off-road nitro just based on the suspension/wheels, engine and shape.

There is no brand on it other than on the engine (Dynamite) and the servo's/controller (JR something or other... I think, I'm not at home at the moment).

I know there are a few obvious parts missing... muffler, battery for servos... but other than that... well and it needing a new pull start... I have no idea what I need.

Is there some way to identify the car so I can locate a manual, or is there a general resource that might help me to identify what parts are still missing from it?

If I can get it running then I won't have to purchase a new one.

Thanks for your help.

-tk
Old 05-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

best thing to do is post pictures of it here and someone will be able to identify it
Old 05-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theknight571
First, let me say hello to all, since I'm new here and relatively new to the whole rc car "thing".

My son, a while ago, picked up a RC Car from a garage sale for $5. It was missing parts and at the time we never really took the time to go over it.

Now my son has a new RC Car and watching him play with it (and taking a turn at the wheel from time to time) has made me think about seeing if I could get that old car running.

I'm assuming it's an off-road nitro just based on the suspension/wheels, engine and shape.

There is no brand on it other than on the engine (Dynamite) and the servo's/controller (JR something or other... I think, I'm not at home at the moment).

I know there are a few obvious parts missing... muffler, battery for servos... but other than that... well and it needing a new pull start... I have no idea what I need.

Is there some way to identify the car so I can locate a manual, or is there a general resource that might help me to identify what parts are still missing from it?

Thanks for your help.

-tk
If its old you may want to think about a new one......... but post some pics and guys can take a guess at what it is....
Old 05-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks... I'll try to get some pics and post 'em tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

off road...dynamite engine....jr servos......with out seeing it would guess it to be a losi of some sort...nxt,xxnt,xxxnt...etc etc etc...but with out pix no one can tell you anything
Old 05-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by blktransam
off road...dynamite engine....jr servos......with out seeing it would guess it to be a losi of some sort...nxt,xxnt,xxxnt...etc etc etc...but with out pix no one can tell you anything
Yep thats exaclty what i though of when i heard that.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Radio gear and engine makes it sound like a Losi/Horizon product.

But could be an Associated RC10GT as well.

Post pics!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Whatever it is, it sounds like a good buy for $5!
Old 05-14-2010, 05:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all of your replies.... You guys rock.

I looked up some of the suggestions listed and what I have closely matches the pictures and schematics, I could find, of the Losi NXT that was mentioned.

I'm hoping to post some pics this weekend just for confirmation.

Now I just need to see what I need to get it up and running.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by theknight571

Thanks for your help.

-tk
Since you are new to the forum you won't be able to post pics.

You can send them to [email protected] and I can post them for you. (as well as help identify the car)
Old 05-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Tech Rookie

racecrafter,

I just sent you some pics.

Hopefully they will help... if you think I should include another angle let me know.

Thanks for your (and everyone else's) help.

-tk
Old 05-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Here it is......
Attached Thumbnails How to ID a Car or How to tell what's missing-engine_small.jpg   How to ID a Car or How to tell what's missing-front_small.jpg   How to ID a Car or How to tell what's missing-top_small.jpg   How to ID a Car or How to tell what's missing-top_small2.jpg  
Old 05-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

its either a team losi nxt or a gtx
Old 05-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

i think it is a gtx.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default re

no its losi xxxnt remember it well,could redo the rear arm holder around the diff 10 minutes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.