Community
Wiki Posts
Search

advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Team Losi 8T 2.0 - Hitec servos and OS engines.

Should last along time if done right.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

The place to start is find out what classes they are running. I think everyone is jumping to 1/8 scale which may not be the case.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I agree, see what is the most popular class there. It may be buggy, truggy, or stadium truck, you never know.

Usually there will be someone there willing to help you in the pits. Thats the cool thing about local club racing is that 1 guy can easily pit 2-3 guys. I've done it several times
Old 03-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just remember if you order the rtr you need to order two new servos along with it. Both of mine blew out the first race day when I had the losi rtr.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think I might have found a deal already. Losi 8ight T 2.0 built up race kit and a Platinum Slash 4x4 for my son to race. I should know this evening for sure. All I will need is Radios I think to run each one.

And the classes are pretty varied at the local track. As far as Truggy, Buggy and trucks. So I could run any of them really and be just fine. I hope I can find help. My son could do it, but neither of us really know Nitro very well and I wouldnt want him to be burned by it or just dump fuel all over it during a pit stop.. LOL
Old 03-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taxman
I think I might have found a deal already. Losi 8ight T 2.0 built up race kit and a Platinum Slash 4x4 for my son to race. I should know this evening for sure. All I will need is Radios I think to run each one.

And the classes are pretty varied at the local track. As far as Truggy, Buggy and trucks. So I could run any of them really and be just fine. I hope I can find help. My son could do it, but neither of us really know Nitro very well and I wouldnt want him to be burned by it or just dump fuel all over it during a pit stop.. LOL
Alright, time for me to step in here. Being a dad myself with a budget who needs to shop smart(but who doesn't want junk) lets start off by asking these questions.

A. What is your budget first off for these 2 vehicles?

B. Do you plan on buying locally or are you going to shop online which normally means you will save significant money(unless your LHS will match online prices)?

C. Is this going to be a backyard bashing setup, or race/bash or just race?

D. What brand parts are predominantly carried by your local hobby shop(regardless if you buy the kit online or local)? So if you break a part you have a good chance of being able to pick up the replacement part at the local shop if in a pinch to get back up and running fast.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Budget is open ended. All dependant on what I am buying. I could buy all new equipment but I dont want to. I like to save when I can.

I'll buy from wherever or whoever gives me the best deal. But will be loyal to the local shop for parts ect.. I just dont plan to buy new setups to start with.

Pretty much race only. We will run them around the land we have, but not to be bashed.

They carry the top names. Associated, Losi, Traxxas, Mugen ect.. No issues on getting parts.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Sounds like you have a handle on it, except the pitting stuff, and I guarantee that you will have someone at the track that will help you.

Also, if you are buying used, be sure it has decent servos, and I would go ahead and plan on a new engine/pipe combo. Used engines are a shot in the dark
Old 03-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Bus
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Im pretty sure someone said it before but the Losi 2.0 has got to be the best car for a beginer to pro! The Clutch on the Losi was the selling point for me!

my 2 cents
Old 03-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Budget is open ended. All dependant on what I am buying. I could buy all new equipment but I dont want to. I like to save when I can.

I'll buy from wherever or whoever gives me the best deal. But will be loyal to the local shop for parts ect.. I just dont plan to buy new setups to start with.

Pretty much race only. We will run them around the land we have, but not to be bashed.

They carry the top names. Associated, Losi, Traxxas, Mugen ect.. No issues on getting parts.
On budget you can easily spend THOUSANDS of dollars to start off without even blinking an eye thats why Im asking. And I'll tell you this, if budget really is open ended, then your better off buying new. Especially nitro engines and transmitter/reciever combos. Especially for racing. If this was just going to be a backyard bashing setup, then I would see no issue going used if the items could be verified to be in relatively good shape. Regardless, no telling how an engine was beaten on,broken in, overheated etc, and no telling how many times a transmitter was dropped, these items should always be bought new IMO. Things like tools, power supplies, spare parts etc. used is fine and dandy So if your not financially bound to a set number, then be smart and buy your gear new. You don't want someone else's POTENTIAL headache if your wallet is that healthy.

Honestly, you must have a ballpark # you only want to spend.......
Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

I hope to find some help in the pits. I am sure someone can hep even if it's someone that works at the hobby store that puts on the race.

And the reason for used, is I dont like to waste money on something I may not like. If I buy new then dont want to keep doing it 2 months from now, then I only get 50-75% of my money back because it is not new any longer. If I buy used and need to sell it I can recoupe nealry if not all of my initial investment. And if I continue to race and need to buy a new motor and or other parts, I am probably at or less the new cost it could have been.

I'm self employed and just quit racing real cars. I ran IHRA Top Dragster for a few years at about 50k per year, and also raced Dirt modifieds a couple of seasons until last year, and Late model stock cars before those. So spending a few thousand to have fun for a year isnt anything really. Not that I like to spend the money but I am not ready to sit and watch grass grow all day either. I need to have fun doing something.

I would like to keep the entire investment under 1000.00 to start. Thats for 2 cars and everything I need to go race them. And I will price shop something to absolute death before I pull the trigger. I like to get good deals. I guess thats the business man in me.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I hope to find some help in the pits. I am sure someone can hep even if it's someone that works at the hobby store that puts on the race.

And the reason for used, is I dont like to waste money on something I may not like. If I buy new then dont want to keep doing it 2 months from now, then I only get 50-75% of my money back because it is not new any longer. If I buy used and need to sell it I can recoupe nealry if not all of my initial investment. And if I continue to race and need to buy a new motor and or other parts, I am probably at or less the new cost it could have been.

I'm self employed and just quit racing real cars. I ran IHRA Top Dragster for a few years at about 50k per year, and also raced Dirt modifieds a couple of seasons until last year, and Late model stock cars before those. So spending a few thousand to have fun for a year isnt anything really. Not that I like to spend the money but I am not ready to sit and watch grass grow all day either. I need to have fun doing something.

I would like to keep the entire investment under 1000.00 to start. Thats for 2 cars and everything I need to go race them. And I will price shop something to absolute death before I pull the trigger. I like to get good deals. I guess thats the business man in me.
Ok so i recently did what your about to do, and for those of you who are ok there thinking im about to be very bias your wrong.

Check this out (all from ebay, and here at rctech,

USED

1 RC8 roller - $150

NEW

1 Futaba 3PMX & receiver 2.4ghz FASST System - $150

NEW

Odonnells .21 SS Engine $140

USED

TWO futaba S9531's $75

already had glow plug and fuel so that $515 and about ($550 including spare parts) for a race ready set up, it took me about 1 week to wait for what i wanted and making offers on this site and ebay.

I Hope this helps and this is what i got
Attached Thumbnails advice needed-rc8.jpg  
Old 03-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thats basically what I am doing. Except I will try here and another forum first, ebay would be a final resort. Maybe for a radio that I will be needing.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

OK so under $1k. Your ideas make sense(coming from one racer[AHDRA here] to another ). So are you looking to get 2 used vehicles or is the one for your son going to be a new kit? Is he getting an 1/8th scale buggy as well or a different class roller? Are both going to be nitro?

Also, many local hobby shops have "rental cars" for the popular race classes. Does yours by any chance? If so, you would be best off renting for a few weeks or so to see if its your cup of tea where it continues to hold your interest. If you like wrenching you will love 8th scale nitro.

Another idea, I do understand your idea of buying used so if you decide to sell you won't lose as much money, but what if your son really digs racing? Instead of worrying about selling off your rig if you end up not liking it and just giving it to him? Especially if he really enjoys it?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

He will get used as well. He doesent really like to be around the nitro cars. Too loud and smelly. LOL But he'll learn to like it. Just like the Fuel cars during warm ups. We have a couple of cars he doesnt like to be around when we fire them. A couple of top sportsmans and a pro mod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.