Help with my new motor.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with my new motor.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

Here are some pics of the car with the body on. The kid I bought it from cut it like that except for the passenger side rear window, I cut out because the air filter is there. Also trimmed the fenders and such to make sure there was complete clearance. Yes, I know it's jagged, like I said, it's just a crap body.

Anyways, is it cut okay? Should I cut any more holes or cover any of them up? Should I completely ditch the rear window?

Right now it's just: Driver's side window, driver's side half of windshield, and pretty much all of the rear window.

http://dubisteinspundloch.com/RC%20body/

Here is a pic of the car to get a better idea.
http://dubisteinspundloch.com/The%20...s/DSCF4362.JPG

PS - I have a Ford GT body that still needs to be cut and painted. Waiting to find somebody that can paint it nicely.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi there...just to give u n idea about cutting body holes like what i did and as per ifmar r/r:

-front window, round hole not more than 60mm or 70mm?
-rear window, the hole wind screen as long u don't cut the window lines..this will give more cooling air to the engine ( the cooling air mostly comes through the rear not the front)from what i was told.
- 1 hole for antenna, 1 for glow plug heater
-as for the side window 1 on each side not exceeding the window lines

even just for bashing this holes r enough...u need not to follow

...looking from your pics i notice your 'air filter' r pointed backwards...try to point it forward so it 'catches' cooler air...correct me if its wrong...thanks
Old 11-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Tech Adept

The front window currently cut in half is 70mm wide and 80mm high, so I guess that works ok. I should just cut out the entire rear window?

As for the air filter, I can't face it forward because the handle thing is in the way. Fits way better facing back, but didn't you say cooling air comes from the rear?

And why a hole for the glowstarter? I can't start the car with the body on anyways...

I'm guessing for those with starter boxes?
Old 11-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Tech Adept

This thing is beginning to be a pain in the ass. The motor is probably too powerful for the car lol

I think I'm starting to have a little trouble with the belts. Felt like it was rubbing or getting hung up so I took the side belt off, checked it out, put it back on, and it was fine, but the front wheels don't appear to be driving as they should. They spin, but slowly, so the back end just slides out when I go wide open throttle instead of being AWD.

It definitely hauls ass, and I still have room to lean it out more. Still running pretty cool too. About 170.

I also noticed, occasionally, while it's just idling with the wheels off the ground, it'll die out, then just starts back up with one pull when I start it up again.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

you could seeze the motor if its too cold......have you tried wrapping your cooling head with tin foil....that should help you get up to temp......dont lean it out too much just to get it up to temperature....if you do lean it out like crazy the temp will get up but ur motor wont be getting the lubrication it needs to last long....if you juts lean it out ur motor wont last as long as u would like it too

Mike.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Tech Adept

I need to look into the belts and see why that's acting a little weird. I'll play with it on monday.

As for leaning it out, if it's still spitting out blue smoke, it's lubricating right?
Old 11-19-2005, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

UPDATE: Well I found the pulley problem. There's a small pin that binds the pulley to the axle and that either came out or broke because it's not there hahahaha. I'm gonna run down to the hobby shop on monday and see if I can pick up another one, and maybe the guy there can help me tune this thing a little more and hopefully get it to run hotter. Really great guys at this place. They're more into helping their customers than the money. Charged me $20 to install the motor, start it up, make sure it all works, make all the adjustments, etc. Then I was having trouble (because of my own fault) so I took it back to him and he gladly looked at it and adjusted it for me. I can do most stuff myself now, but it doesn't hurt.

It's stuff like that that keeps a business going. They've been around forever. I was talking to him and he's like yeah we're all a family over here blah blah blah. Really friendly people. They'll be getting all of my business in the future, besides the stuff that I order online. Only 10 mins away as well.