Search
Like Tree80Likes

Durango DEX210 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jcsantana92
I'm new to the DEX210, but wouldn't it be better to run 4 Gear on Mid Motor?
It really depends on the surface. I have driven MM4 from 2011 up until last August, and when the grip can support it I will choose MM3 every time.

Originally Posted by Pistol123
I am running mm4 on grass in the UK. I have found a good setup and it appears well balanced.

People appear to be shifting weight backwards with a crossways battery and mm3 which gives less pitching - very similar to the dex210f.

We have only just gone outside so I am keeping it mm4 until later in the year and plan to test to back to back on grass before heading inside on carpet.
I ran my DEX210F in 2wd modified during the same weekend and was fortunate enough to put it into the A main. If the grip can support front motor, MM3 is no problem! I could imagine on a natural grass surface that MM4 would be safer, though.

Originally Posted by Cain
personally on my dex210v2 I liked the MM4 I think a bit more as I liked to let off in turns and have faster rotation due to weight transfer. BUt it could be moreof a setup issue too.
I enjoy the feel of the car with less artificial weight transfer. Don't get me wrong, MM4 generates tons of bite (I've never driven a car on a loose surface that was better than an X Factory car), but I always find myself looking for more steering to be able to drive the car naturally. MM4 drives very much like a rear motor car, though it does carry more corner speed.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Is anyone running ribbed front tires? There's a new track being built in my city and nobody is sure how the grip going to end, supposedly mid-high, but a lot of guys do run ribbed in another low-mid track we have.

I've tried searching for the benefits of ribbed tires and haven't found much, would appreciate any comments.

I currently have front suburbs I think and a couple of others meant for clay style tracks (I bought my dex210 used a couple of weeks ago with those tires.)
Old 04-15-2016, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Yes I will be running ribbed tires on the front on a huge 1/8th track outdoors.
The track is dusty so bow fighters were the best for 4wd Corr.
2wd Buggy ill be running Durango stock tires with Jconcepts Whipits.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:59 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

rib tires here for our outdoor conditions.

I know guys who run them indoors on carpet too as it can mellow out the steering response if they are having traction roll issues and not enough time to get that sorted.

I'd say its not a bad idea to have a "standard" rib type tire in the pit box for outdoors.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

Not everyone runs castle to race with but I will.
Back in 2006-2007 people ran castle in my town.
Now everyone runs Tekin. Hardly ever see any novak stuff here.
Now the Tekin guys if I beat them I can say I beat you with a sidewinder that costs 3 times less.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:23 AM
Tech Adept

I took mine out for a little test spin this morning.

It's pretty fast on 2S LiPo with the 6.5T motor, 120A ESC and the 31T pinion on a stock 87T spur. Now I have only driven it on asphalt and just did a few speed runs, I doubt it's suited for any off-road action or competition races as it would most likely burn the ESC.

That being said it's still fun to do short speed runs with.

Last edited by Hitokiri_2000; 04-17-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

What motors are most of you running?

I bought mine with a 13.5T and I feel that it's quit slow, not as fast as I would've wanted. I have a 60A esc with 81/31 Gearing which I'm planning to change to 78/28 when the 78T arrives, on 2S Lipo.

My Pro 2 with a 3,800kv seems much faster.
I like plenty of speed and the new track that is being built here has a good size and will have a long straight. Here's a link of the track being built:
https://app.box.com/s/ei1j3zbtkejc70zqpb3fl0v26m0r7bpx

I'm thinking about changing the motor, what would you guys recommend?
I've also been thinking about changing the Ball Diff for the Gear Diff, I'm not liking the feel of the Ball Diff. Any suggestions about that? Would appreciate any help. Im new to the DEX210
Old 04-16-2016, 03:55 PM
Tech Legend

that link is requiring a log on. You got another link?

If you feel a 13.5 is too slow even after gearing change, For larger mod tracks I personally like an 8.5T to 10.5 motor is pretty common here. but if the motor is not having any temp issues, work on the gearing. You can also play a bit with the timing on the motor too.

What about the ball diff specifically are you not liking?
Old 04-16-2016, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

I favor an 8.5T.
Need more info like Cain said. What's up with ball diff? Durango ones are smooth and long lasting. Maybe just need to rebuild it. Gear diffs are bullet proof but I'm finding that ball diffs handle better.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jcsantana92
Is anyone running ribbed front tires? There's a new track being built in my city and nobody is sure how the grip going to end, supposedly mid-high, but a lot of guys do run ribbed in another low-mid track we have.

I've tried searching for the benefits of ribbed tires and haven't found much, would appreciate any comments.

I currently have front suburbs I think and a couple of others meant for clay style tracks (I bought my dex210 used a couple of weeks ago with those tires.)
Our track was usually low grip by the time the mains came around and the 4wd SC, 8th scale buggy and Truggy churned up the dirt. I found ribs were best for putting the power down, as they kept the buggy pointed straighter under throttle. Most importantly it offered less grip, and on a loose track, having more front traction than rear means spin outs are easy. Steering is mild and predictable. Some guys like it on carpet to reduce traction roll, but fast guys will run grippy tires and find other ways to stop the roll.

They also stay clean real well, if the track waters and gets clumpy tread tires will clump and become mud caked slicks.

Dry medium tracks might be the no man land for them, but I've never ran in that condition.

what chassis did you Get? All the internet supports the plastic chassis on loose dirt but when I broke mine and ran the aluminum the car became perfect with a ton of forward grip. Maybe outside the added weight was just the trick but everyone who runs Durango at our track and has done well had the aluminum chassis in the exact conditions the shorter, stiffer chassis is supposed to suck in.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:15 AM
Tech Legend

a lot of it I think can be relative to setup too when going from the plastic one to alloy and back.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:16 AM
Tech Addict

a lot of it I think can be relative to setup too when going from the plastic one to alloy and back.
Yeah I always thought maybe I was just running too stiff of a spring in the rear, however all the guys truly happy with their DEX were running the aluminium chassis.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Devin
Yeah I always thought maybe I was just running too stiff of a spring in the rear, however all the guys truly happy with their DEX were running the aluminium chassis.
I have never believed in chassis flex as a tuning aid. Once I developed a thorough technique for tuning, I've found that a stiffer chassis is always better. Some people swear that you need flex. It is my opinion that they don't truly know how to tune very well and rely on chassis flex as a bandaid to help cover that lack of knowledge. From loose dirt to high grip, I've always found that the stiffest chassis was the best.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

Aluminum chassis is better for big tracks. Small tracks the plastic chassis might be better.
I race on big 1/8th tracks so id benefit from an aluminum chassis.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

that link is requiring a log on. You got another link?

If you feel a 13.5 is too slow even after gearing change, For larger mod tracks I personally like an 8.5T to 10.5 motor is pretty common here. but if the motor is not having any temp issues, work on the gearing. You can also play a bit with the timing on the motor too.

What about the ball diff specifically are you not liking?
I might try the 31/78, but I think I'm pushing the limits already. I ordered a programming Card and play around with the settings a bit and see if it improves.

My problem with the Ball Diff originally was that it was sliding too much and I was loosing power. I tried tightening it up a bit, which helped, but it seemed to be looser in one side than the other one and one I hit the power it would steer to one side. I might have tighten it a bit too much and have to loosen it up a bit, but still seems weird to me... First time I've had a Ball Diff though.

Pic of the track:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxa034rd8z..._3237.JPG?dl=0

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.