Wiki Posts
Search

My second blown OS VSPEC in less then a gallon...WTH

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jabroni racing
There Have been plenty of posts elswhere about cracked blocks, and OS, not doing anything about it.. I happend to have a vspec parts for sale, including a good block, head, button, and carb ( sleeve), motor is about 1.5-2yrs old, when they were'nt cracking.. PM me if you are interested.. $40 shipped and its yours
we must have posted at th esame time, not trying to kill your sale bud
Old 04-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

We saw so many broke V-spec crank cases at our local track last summer & fall that almost no runs them any more here.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That is one of the big upgrades on the ninja IMO. The .28 case is much stronger. I personally have not had a problem with the normal v-specs. If you take care of them there is no reason that they won't last 8-10 gallons. I currently have 7 gallons on my standard v-spec and it is running stronger than ever.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default what buggy do you use?

hiya folks,

the cracked engine case could also be due to a poor buggy build up.

the mounting holes on an os engine are closer then those on nova type engines, therefore you need to take care when mounting them on your chassis. always check that the engine mounts on both sides are sitting flat and level after screwing them on to the engine and before you screw the whole shebang into the buggy. you may sometimes need to trim/dremel your engine mounts so that the engine can sit level. dunt just force the engine unto your buggy.

i've found that certain manufacturers have mounts that favour certain engines.
kyosho: sirio and nova based engines
mugen: os based engines
not so sure bout the taiwanese buggies
xray: you get to PAY for different mounts to suit the different engines

i'm also on my first vspec (rebuilt several times, with original carb!) pretty worth the moolas, but i'm trying out piccos now.

Shalom and God Bless!

-alexander
Old 04-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by foampervert
xray: you get to PAY for different mounts to suit the different engines -alexander

So X ray has optimized engine mounts!!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. Twister
we must have posted at th esame time, not trying to kill your sale bud
No problem,
Old 04-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks guys for your input. I have plenty of nitro motors. Im not a Mr. Know-it-all but have experience enough to maintain a engine.

The one I bought off of ebay might have been a ticking timebomb. Who knows. The one I bought brand new and broke in and didnt get a full gallon out of it was a dud.. Period. There is not way that a piston could have a hairline crack in it after that period of time..

Lesson learned about buying used motors from somebody I dont know..

Mark, I was looking at those Go 7ports today. Doesnt sound like a bad motor and will take you up on the free drive. I am leaning towards a GRP. Always wanted one of those motors.

All this motor talks boiles down to one thing and one thing only. There is not a best motor. THere is not a fastest motor. It depends on ones experience with a certain motor. Ones that fail on you you prolly wont buy again. Ones that scream for 7 gallons and hold a perfect tune you will lean agaisnt..
Old 04-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TRIPC
Thanks guys for your input. I have plenty of nitro motors. Im not a Mr. Know-it-all but have experience enough to maintain a engine.

The one I bought off of ebay might have been a ticking timebomb. Who knows. The one I bought brand new and broke in and didnt get a full gallon out of it was a dud.. Period. There is not way that a piston could have a hairline crack in it after that period of time..

Mark, I was looking at those Go 7ports today. Doesnt sound like a bad motor and will take you up on the free drive. I am leaning towards a GRP. Always wanted one of those motors.

All this motor talks boiles down to one thing and one thing only. There is not a best motor. THere is not a fastest motor. It depends on ones experience with a certain motor. Ones that fail on you you prolly wont buy again. Ones that scream for 7 gallons and hold a perfect tune you will lean agaisnt..
GRP = no.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
Are you running Nitrotane? Please don't break your motors in with that fuel.
Really? Why do you say that?
Old 04-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

We don't think GRP will be around to much longer. There is a reason why people left the company and why some drivers have left too.

If it was me I would stick with any OS brand (speed/ninja) or Novarossi brand.

O'Donnell and Reedy haven't come out yet..... But I heard very good reports. The price is also going to be crazy low
Old 04-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TRIPC

Ive got a nova with more than 10 gals on it and it runs great. I bought a v-spec and it only lasted 1.5 gals before the crank broke. I would never buy another p.O.S. again.,
I just finished break-in on a GO 7pt and OMG this thing is nice! 3/4 of a gal and it will still lock up on the starter box at tdc!
Ive also had very good luck with Sirio engines
Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

wow alot of os supporters and haters here is my opnion os speed is fast and reliable os vspec reg. version not the same by anymeans good motors but do have crank and rod wear issues i run nova now again to tell the truth i think my nova is a little slower than my speed was but my nova is 18 + gallons old and still going strong and a o.s. will never do that. and with the economy i will take longevity over over a little power specially since power on the straight wont win a race
Old 04-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

my V-spec is over 6 gallons old, and it just had new bearings and a pinch a couple weeks ago, and its like new again, i love my v-spec
Old 04-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

GRP ....... I think that is a great motor. If it had not been for Drake switching sponsers i dont think there would be as much talk about it as there has been.. It is still a great motor and buy with the Promo Kit. AM i wrong???????
Old 04-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

It all comes down to mtnce with vspecs and any other engine.
Change the bearings when they are needed.
Change the rod when it is needed.
keep a clean filter on.
use a good quality fuel
keep the temp in check.
use a hairtie to bring throttle back if you get a runaway
and you most likely wont have any issues with a good quality well known brand of engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.