Search

Big Races: Target Audience?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Big Races: Target Audience?

A recent article on RedRC had some strong words about this year's Reedy Race:

Unfortunately this year’s event had a very low entry and Marc was quick to highlight this fact. Once a major event on the international calendar, the race came up in conversation a few times over the weekend with the general opinion being that the race be shelved or given a much needed revamp.
[...]
Unfortunately Touring Car is the poor cousin when it comes to its version of the the unique heads up racing event. I can see from a financial stand point why this might be, as offroad is by far the bigger class in the US but with Touring Car very much alive and well in Europe thanks to the ETS surely a combined effort from interested parties could bring the race back to its former glory. One suggestion is that the race should come to Europe next year as this is were most of the top drivers are from.
What I find interesting is that this year's race had a record turnout due to stock racing. Sure, invite was down, perhaps due to some outside factors (like other races around the world), but is that really justification for moving it out of the US?

I enjoy attending big events, and watching the great racers of the world compete, but to me it's just a side show. The real story is about the other 200 guys at the race trying to get it done. And when races start catering to the top few rather than average guys, the ones at the bottom that fill up the heat sheets, put money in the pockets of the race organizers, and actually buy their own equipment, something is broken.

And shame on RedRC for their "journalism." They highlighted Reedy Race, an on-road race in the US with a record turnout, as an indication that on-road is in such decline in the US that one of our premiere events should move overseas. Since when did the commercials become more important than the consumers? You guys should stick to taking pictures of dudes at RC races, you're really good at that.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

The way I read the article was that the suggestion of moving the race was part of the discussion going around.
I don't think that RedRC were making the suggestion themselves.

Reinforced by the paragraph at the bottom of the article in bold letters:-

Oisin O’Briain is Red RC’s Event Editor. Traveling the world reporting on some of the biggest races in the sport he regularly chats with top drivers and key industry figures and in his new column ‘On the Grapevine’ he will try to bring readers an insight into the latest talk that is doing the rounds in the paddock along with the odd bit of trivia information that comes to light.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
A recent article on RedRC had some strong words about this year's Reedy Race:

What I find interesting is that this year's race had a record turnout due to stock racing. Sure, invite was down, perhaps due to some outside factors (like other races around the world), but is that really justification for moving it out of the US?

I enjoy attending big events, and watching the great racers of the world compete, but to me it's just a side show. The real story is about the other 200 guys at the race trying to get it done. And when races start catering to the top few rather than average guys, the ones at the bottom that fill up the heat sheets, put money in the pockets of the race organizers, and actually buy their own equipment, something is broken.

And shame on RedRC for their "journalism." They highlighted Reedy Race, an on-road race in the US with a record turnout, as an indication that on-road is in such decline in the US that one of our premiere events should move overseas. Since when did the commercials become more important than the consumers? You guys should stick to taking pictures of dudes at RC races, you're really good at that.
Just to set the record straight, it was a record turnout for the race at Norcal. But the race has never allowed more than 160 Open class entries and this year was 140+.

I call the race a success because the competition was very good; 60+ in 17.5, 30+ in 13.5, and a VERY impressive 30+ in Open modified. The only class that really suffered is the Invitational class. And even then the racers in Invite were top notch where as in the past there has always been "filler". The Open classes match up favorably to the IIC and Snowbirds TC entries which are considered the "big" races.

The facility was awesome, the trophy girl was photogenic, the layout was fast and challenging. It was the best Reedy Race in years.

The reality is that a few International guys could not make it but there are no American drivers to fill the void. Burch, Ellis, and Cyrul (all A-main nationals guys) had to cancel at the last minute.

The TC market in the U.S. is not that interesting to sponsors. With no HB, X-ray, or Yokomo team willing to support the U.S. market there is not that much that can be done.

There is always talk of moving the race. It happens every year. But why move a successful event?

Last edited by Rick Hohwart; 06-20-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

"Unfortunately this year’s event had a very low entry and Marc was quick to highlight this fact. "

I guess 140 non invitational entries is not good enough.

As always, they guys who actually buy their equipment keep the doors open at race tracks and make events possible.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

In defense of Marc he was speaking about the low turnout in the Invitational class.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The great thing about RROC, IIC, Snowbirds

These events normally have World Class drivers
And draw a healthy helping of regular Joes to race with

Obviously the ETS pull tons of drivers and sponsors, but I often wondered how that series would work here
Old 06-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I see your point. But I don't think the author was not bashing the event or the Organisators.
He compared the level of onroad racing in europe and the US.
And the Level in Europe is way higher then here in the US.
I have to say I don't no why.
The only thing's I see is:
The avarage of onroad racers is already over 30 and without any kids or teens at the track.
On practice days the tracks almost wiped out her in the US.
This two point's are completely different between europe and the US.
It is is normal that parents bring there kids, boys and girls, to the track and race with them. Therfore they have more teens racing, which will have more time to spend at the track and get faster as married guys with jobs and a family.
BTW I thought we race for fun and not to make a living.

Last edited by silden; 06-20-2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On-road is in the low part of the cycle here in the US. Why? I don't know.

There's no more comm-cutting, brushes, complicated ESC tuning(), no more discharge trays, sensitive Nimh packs, one-run foam tires etc. TC racing should be BOOMING right now. There are competitive cars on the market that are reasonably priced, and since nearly every track has adopted a spec pre-mount, or at least a few different legal pre-mounts, the whole tire game is pretty much nullified.

The conditions couldn't be a whole lot better for the class at the moment, yet even during the indoor season, we only saw a handful of sedans locally. I have heard of other tracks struggling to get ANY type of TC class turnout as well. Offering VTA, USGT, and 17.5 TC one would think that at least one class would gain some traction, but they haven't. Hell, the closest parking lot track's biggest class is spec Slash!!

Hopefully On-Road will start a resurgence soon. All the best conditions seem to be in place, so if it can't pick up now..........
Old 06-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well, like most other things, it is region dependent. Sedan (and its derivative classes) is the biggest on-road class in my area...
Old 06-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by robk
"I guess 140 non invitational entries is not good enough.
The factory guys SELL the equipment, the non-invite crowd BUYS the eqiupment. The guys that pay the bills don't make for exciting press releases. The average American RC racer doesn't care that Jon Q. Public won the Amateur TC A-main using a Gnarlymatic B1400 with a FB Motorsports 10000mah 150c battery, and E7.0 17.5 motor.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Well, like most other things, it is region dependent. Sedan (and its derivative classes) is the biggest on-road class in my area...
Sorry, my post was too specific to my region to make my broader point, which was, that on-road turnout across the country is down. I'm not a sedan guy, but I'd certainly love to see it grow to the level it was at 10 or so years ago. I just wanna see more people racing On-Road.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I feel pretty confident that in the US, results in stock racing sell more gear than results in mod racing.

The only thing people care about from the mod crowd is what kit they're running, and even then, how much really? Changing brands is a big commitment. 90% of the people in the US pick XRay or AE and stick with it, or own both.

The stock crowd buys a TON of stock motors, and they're not looking at what Marc used to win Reedy to decide what stock motor to get. Same with batteries, ESC's...
Old 06-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I believe lot of the guys would try a different kit as Xray or AE.
What is hindering the people is the availability of spare parts and even kits.
The most hobby shops have any TC kits in stock and you have to order them online.
But this is not a option when you start with the hobby, you want it cheep and now.

The only reason why stock racing is bigger than Mod is the most people think stock is cheeper than mod. but on the end they by 5-6 motors per season.
Also the tracks lot of the tracks don't make a mod class.
How can you get the wold champion class racer without a regular class.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by silden
The only reason why stock racing is bigger than Mod is the most people think stock is cheeper than mod. but on the end they by 5-6 motors per season.
Also the tracks lot of the tracks don't make a mod class.
How can you get the wold champion class racer without a regular class.
Nope, I race stock because at my skill level I find it more enjoyable. I recognize it is more expensive to be competitive but to be honest, if Mod was the only choice, I wouldn't be racing.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

syndr0me for ROAR pres

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.