Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intellect Battery 3800

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Interesting stuff. I need to know something Danny.

.5mv = 30mv, but I noticed that the SMC site states that .5mv = 50mv Is this mainly because you use a Turbocharger? Why such a big leap in mv?
I get confused with that too. Heres where I think you're confused.

.005 v is read "five milivolts"
.050 v is read "fifty milivolts"

so .005 v per cell works out to be .30 v or "thirty milivolts" for 6 cell packs
.008 v per cell works out to be .48 v or "forty-eight milivolts (~.50 v) for 6
cell packs.

I looked at the charging instructions @ SMC and didn't see anywhere that it said .5mv = 50 mv. Maybe I missed it. Hope this helps.

Maybe this will make it simplier. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Charge your 3300's @ 6 amps linear and use a .008 per cell cut off (this would equal a .048 or roughly a .050 cut off for an entire pack)

charge your 3800's at 6 amps linear and use a .005 per cell cut off. (This would equal a .030 cut off for an entire pack)

some chargers calculate the cut off per cell and some calculate it per pack of 6 cells.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitCrew
Doesn't Orion use the Lavco system?

I heard once that the discharge on the Lavco is not linear. THeir "RDS" discharge is an increasing and decreasing discharge load. This would give higher run-time and average voltages as compared to a linear discharge, if their max discharge load was 30 amps.

Their "RDS" is Race Discharge Simulation. So, the above idea is based on the description and what I have heard...

I find it convenient that companies matching cells claim they use some special methods and then there numbers on the labels are higher. We came out with 35 amp discharge and our numbers actually look lower but they are accurate.

A few months back we debated this on a thread here somewhere.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Company Representative

Yes the peak detect, voltage threshold or whatever the charger companies call it can be confusing because there is a few ways of calling it and adjusting it.

The first company to offer adjustable peak detection is Competition Electronics with the first T-30. They decided to make it simple and you can adjust it in increments of .01 and this is for the entire pack.

Some companies call it voltage threshold and use millivolts. So .01 equals 10mv. Where you need to be careful is to make sure it's set at the right amount for the entire pack. Some companies have it so you adjust it per cell and others per pack.

With IB cells we reccomend .02 - .03 for the entire pack. This would be 20 - 30 mv or 4-5 mv per cell.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

everyone-save yourselves a lot of frustration and money and have a T35gfx and a PitbullX3. I try to never make empty endorsements so heres why:

-ease of use-set and forget with on the fly easy adjustments. NO confusing sub menus.

-easy to set and easy to turn on long lockout.

-reliable charge and discharge functions.

-flexible enough to reliably charge a 2400 NIcd to a deadshorted GP3300 to a IB3800.

-KISS Keep it simple Stupid

and no-no one at CE knows who I am or cares. I tried a lot of chargers for the bells and whistles and internet hype.I found most to charge fine, but were so user unfriendly and other problems I sold them all. I now use a T30, T35 GFX and a Pitbull X3 and have finally found battery maintenance nirvana!

For what its worth I also have a Novak Discharge tray and INdi Octane and two NOvak Flatliners for my last remaining Deadshorted packs.

Ray
Old 11-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just picked up some 3800's... so when people say you need to 'detune' your stock motors, are you implying to cut the brushes down, or can i use some lighter springs?
Old 11-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

woot, i think ill follow ray's advice.

for my discharge duties, other than the t30's i have
2 Trinity RealTime2's, Indy 30a box, and soon coming Indy Tray.

woot.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Company Representative

For the IB cells what seems to work best is to discharge the pack down to .90 per cell so 5.4(6 cell) and 3.6( 4 cell) by using 30/35 amp discharge.

Just prior to charging them back up place on an Integy 0-30 or Duratrax 20 amp discharger for 1 minute. I have cycled packs everyday using this method with great results. This type of tray is very easy to use and hard to have a bad contact with.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Default Where can I get the best price on IB 3800 packs with...

numbers in the .170 and .180? I want the most up to date packs with the black cans. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

check out www.kinetixrc.com. I beleive he is reselling SMC batteries.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hyper1
Less magnet in the motor equates to increased effeciency due to reduced reverse electro-motive force.
What you're talking about here is EMF & CEMF not reverse EMF.[/QUOTE]

Uh, well, I don't know then, am I??

I'm saying that it takes a certain amount of energy through the coil to over come the eddy currents produced in the coil by the stator magnets that want to go in the opposite direction as the current you are putting through the motor. I am pretty sure that is reffered to as "reverse electro motive force".

Basically, when you power a motor and it rotates, it is also acting as a generator producing current in the opposite direction as the current being supplied to rotate the motor. The stronger the magents, the stronger that current is that must be overcome. Therefore, it takes more energy to rotate the arm with extremely strong stator magnets, so effeciency is reduced.

This thread is about batts though, sorry.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:52 AM
Tech Elite

Default Hummm...

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
check out www.kinetixrc.com. I beleive he is reselling SMC batteries.
Anyone have any expirence with this company? The numbers look high at a good low price. Any thoughts?
Old 11-13-2005, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yea, I have 3 packs of GP 3300's and the performance of the packs were very good, they also sported high numbers on the labels but they proved it on the track
Old 11-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kinetix is a solid company, I've bought from them many times, no complaints, good pricing.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bob Nilsen
Kinetix is a solid company, I've bought from them many times, no complaints, good pricing.

I bought 6 IB3800 SMC packs from them several weeks ago. All were 1.195-1.120. They were great to deal with!! Fast shippng!
Old 11-13-2005, 10:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PitCrew
What you're talking about here is EMF & CEMF not reverse EMF.
Uh, well, I don't know then, am I??

I'm saying that it takes a certain amount of energy through the coil to over come the eddy currents produced in the coil by the stator magnets that want to go in the opposite direction as the current you are putting through the motor. I am pretty sure that is reffered to as "reverse electro motive force".

Basically, when you power a motor and it rotates, it is also acting as a generator producing current in the opposite direction as the current being supplied to rotate the motor. The stronger the magents, the stronger that current is that must be overcome. Therefore, it takes more energy to rotate the arm with extremely strong stator magnets, so effeciency is reduced.

This thread is about batts though, sorry.[/QUOTE]

No problem,just wanted to clarify. I will check again,you are correct, but I think eddy currents are basically what causes CEMF? I've been out of college for a while now and that crap goes away fast if you know what I mean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.