Wiki Posts
Search

New Losi XXX-SCT troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mmike87
Well, they said once you have driven it there is no warranty, but agreed to replace the motor as a courtesy this one time.

I am beginning to understand more about this hobby, and I get that some parts may not last long. However, to less than a dozen runs our of a car before needing repairs like this strikes me as ... well, uncool. If the motors that ship with the car are junk and have a low life expectancy, and everyone seems to know that, then that should be disclosed.

Obviously, everyone who has been doing RC for a long time knows these facts. However, to us new folks - well, we just feel ripped off.

For $220 my son and I were expecting a little more enjoyment and a little less headache with this truck. I am sure we'll eventually get it all right and be able to enjoy the hobby, but in one month of ownership this thing has had more downtime than uptime. Yes, I was aware things would need maintenance. But broken parts, a torched motor, and at last count no less than 4 screws coming out and being lost - it's ridiculous. All from riding in the yard and cul-de-sac.
I understand how you feel, when I got into the hobby a few years ago I started out with nitro, which can be a real big headache for a newb to rc's...... However if you decide to stick with the hobby you'll learn the odds and ends of everything and understand that things breaking is all part of the hobby....It does get frustrating when you have an expensive item just sitting around because you can't drive it...... So hopefully you stick with it and have better results in the future......
Old 04-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hobbyten
we had to really heat the pinion up to get my set screw out. don't no why they have to loctite them in i never have in 20 plus yrs, of racing.
Any time ThunderbirdJunkie doesn't loctite motor screws or setscrews in a pinion, they come loose.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
Any time ThunderbirdJunkie doesn't loctite motor screws or setscrews in a pinion, they come loose.
I was planning on using Blue Loctite - however experience tells me that whatever Losi used was not Blue Loctite - Blue doesn't hold that darn tight, and I've never had to apply heat to break Blue loose.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ilanstylz
I understand how you feel, when I got into the hobby a few years ago I started out with nitro, which can be a real big headache for a newb to rc's...... However if you decide to stick with the hobby you'll learn the odds and ends of everything and understand that things breaking is all part of the hobby....It does get frustrating when you have an expensive item just sitting around because you can't drive it...... So hopefully you stick with it and have better results in the future......
We're sticking with it ... it's a lot of fun. Eventually, everything will settle down and all the bugs will be worked out.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I was planning on using Blue Loctite - however experience tells me that whatever Losi used was not Blue Loctite - Blue doesn't hold that darn tight, and I've never had to apply heat to break Blue loose.
You are correct. ThunderbirdJunkie just left the pinion on the motor and gave the motor to a buddy for his kid's slash. Tried to get that stupid pinion off though
Old 04-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

I used a heat gun to mines off, a lil heat loosens it right up.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Back up and running - however less than 10 minutes into the first battery, motor already smells like it's burning.

Anything with a lifespan this short is a piece of junk. Seriously.

Just waiting for the EZ Run ESC's to be back in stock.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Back up and running - however less than 10 minutes into the first battery, motor already smells like it's burning.

Anything with a lifespan this short is a piece of junk. Seriously.

Just waiting for the EZ Run ESC's to be back in stock.
Did you break that motor in? There is a recommended procedure for brushed motors. I hear you though. Brushed motors, stock ones anyway, are total hit and miss. The traxxas titan is the same. Some folks seems to run em forever, whereas I've fried three in as many weeks at one point. The best luck with stock brushed, I've personally had, is the HPI firebolt motors. I broke one in and threw it in my nephew's stampede in december, he's still beating on it.

You're on the right track. Brushless.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:00 PM

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Instead of a new brushless setup, try checking the buy sell trade forum right here on RCtech. some good deals to be had here.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slim jim
Instead of a new brushless setup, try checking the buy sell trade forum right here on RCtech. some good deals to be had here.
+1, there is usually a nice lightly used Tekin RS that go from $70 to $100, great little esc IMHO! A good used brushless motor will set you back between $40 and $60 depending on the brand...